PDA

View Full Version : I want fun toys for my Animal Companion

kulosle
2013-12-19, 04:14 AM
So lets say I'm making a druid, and I want my animal companion to be a blastoise, So i get a dire tortoise for my animal companion and now i want to make it have water type attacks, how would i go about getting it to cast tidal surge or something similiar. The answer doesn't need to be this specific. I generally want to know how I can get animal companions to cast a spell or two so they can be changed up a little flavor wise.

Qc Storm
2013-12-19, 04:36 AM
A Tornado Blast refluffed as Hydro Pump could work.

Now you only need to make your turtle a level 17 Psion.

kulosle
2013-12-19, 04:42 AM
well thats the point is how do you get a animal companion to be able to cast a spell without making it intelligent and giving it use magic device?

Drachasor
2013-12-19, 04:46 AM
A refluffed Decanter of Endless Water that shoots the water out of the owner's mouth?

Oxydeur
2013-12-19, 04:48 AM
Attach two Decanter of Endless Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater) on his back with Sovereign Glue !

Edit: Swordsag'd

Greenish
2013-12-19, 04:48 AM
A refluffed Decanter of Endless Water that shoots the water out of the owner's mouth?Eternal Glue two decanters on the tortoise's shell.

[Edit]: Swordsage'd.
[Edit]: Edit swordsage'd.

eggynack
2013-12-19, 04:54 AM
well thats the point is how do you get a animal companion to be able to cast a spell without making it intelligent and giving it use magic device?
Maybe by making it intelligent and giving it use magic device. It's definitely doable, between exalted companion (BoED, 42) and urban companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a). Honestly, this doesn't seem like a very feasible plan otherwise. There aren't any options that I can think of to give an animal companion innate magical abilities. I mean, you could always use ghost companion (Ghost, 53) to make your animal companion into a ghost for days/level, and that gets you a few things that are like spells, but it's not really permanent. You'd get a pretty effective ghost type that way though.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-19, 05:04 AM
As an Arcane Hierophant with the Obtain Familiar and Theurgic Bond feats you can get an epic companion familiar well before level 20, getting Familiar Spell for free.
Now you just need to find a good water spell.

kulosle
2013-12-19, 02:52 PM
Well the problem with that is it only works for familiars. Is there anything like that for animal companions?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-19, 03:06 PM
That's why you need to have at least one level of Arcane Hierophant. It turns your AC into a companion familiar, giving it the benefits of a familiar in addition to the normal animal companion stuff.

ArqArturo
2013-12-19, 03:14 PM
Now you only need to make your turtle a level 17 Psion.

I'm afraid that would tempt that turtle into turning into a sandwich.

Azoth
2013-12-19, 03:19 PM
Shape Soul meld (insert meld) + Bonus essentia= problem solved. If you need more than 2 essentia there are items in Magic of Incarnum and Magic Item Compendium that grant it.

Bronk
2013-12-20, 09:12 AM
I like that idea of gluing decanters of endless water to the turtle! Maybe you could get your DM to rule that the 'back pressure' could be used like a jet pack too! Or mount them at angles, so that it flies around like Gamera. (Or just have them mounted in both directions to cancel the pressure out, so at least it wouldn't have to save versus being knocked down all the time?)

Another method is by using share spells and energy admixture. You could turn the 'Stormrage' spell into a water spell (maybe acid (mostly water, definitely liquid) or refluff cold energy?)... By casting that within 5 feet of your companion, you both would fly, and I guess shoot water out of your eyeballs somehow. Sort of like a less gross horned lizard?

Research a version of 'Elemental Familiar' that would work on companions?

Maybe refluff that aboleth slime hose graft?

Chronos
2013-12-20, 11:38 AM
Have you considered a laser pointer? Or maybe a feather tied to the end of a stick; that's an old classic.

Coidzor
2013-12-21, 12:30 AM
I'd say a refluffed breath weapon might work, though what damage type would be appropriate, I couldn't say.

If you want to go more indepth.... See if the DM will work with you on homebrewing an ACF that'll give you a Squirtle companion with the option to evolve it as you hit different levels much like how a druid can get more powerful animal companions as it would level up normally to, and give the pokemon companion some expanded special abilities, all by trading away the option to ever take a regular animal companion instead and maybe your other, non-wildshape, non-casting abilities in with the bargain.

Not sure what sort of damage such an attack would make. I think there's gotta be some examples of water squirting doing damage, but those might just be untyped... or maybe there's whatever type of damage Eldritch Blasts do...

Brookshw
2013-12-21, 12:32 AM
Have you considered a laser pointer? Or maybe a feather tied to the end of a stick; that's an old classic.

Surprisingly if you replace the laser pointer with a flash light it works for some dogs.

kulosle
2013-12-21, 05:14 AM
Well this was just a specific example of what i am currently trying to do, doesn't necessarily need to be blastoise, just wanted the ability to give things spells so that they could be refluffed. The fact that you can give them soulmelds/maneuvers is nice, helps a lot. Although both of those are rather limited. It still helps with somethings. In all honesty so far the best thing i can think of is making them intelligent and giving them use magic device, but that isn't very flavorful.

eggynack
2013-12-21, 05:18 AM
I still think that using ghost companion to make a ghost pokemon would be cool. My favorite load out is one of the attack abilities, preferably corrupting gaze or draining touch, and then telekinesis and malevolence. It's a whole bunch of spell effects right there. It's technically impermanent, but you're running with one day with no animal companion and days/level of ghost powers.

Dimers
2013-12-21, 03:50 PM
There's no reason I can see that an animal companion couldn't be trained to activate a custom magic item of the "X uses per day" variety ... maybe spend one of those bonus tricks the companion gets on teaching it to activate and aim properly. Custom creation rules are generally pretty well accepted.