PDA

View Full Version : Is this good or not?

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-19, 06:14 AM
Ok so I did a build for an idea I had, limited players so I am gonna be DMPCing and I decided to play the Paladin. Well..

Cleric 5/Stormlord 5//Paladin 7//Hammer of Moradin 3

Now is this build ok? I know it does not have a good reflex save but that is not everything.
It keeps me at caster level 10 and I can cast as a 10th level Cleric with the Storm and Earth domain for flavors.

Aside from the Feats required to get into the classes what should I focus on now?
I can also cast 1 and 2nd level paladin spells though only bonus spells from 2nd level.

bekeleven
2013-12-19, 06:22 AM
What do you mean, "good"?

You can take any fighter till the cows come home, and it's trash compared to cleric 20.

With the proper optimization you can probably channel all your cleric spells through paladin and cast them as swift actions, which is nice, but a bit high-op from what I see.

Waker
2013-12-19, 06:24 AM
Just gotta confirm since your usage of the / is a bit confusing. Is this character meant to be a gestalt character?

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-19, 06:33 AM
Yes it is, the // is to indicate the split of the character classes into their seperate sides.

How can you do that by the way, the channeling cleric spells through paladin?

Waker
2013-12-19, 06:42 AM
Yes it is, the // is to indicate the split of the character classes into their seperate sides.

Just had to ask since you had the // between the Stormlord, Paladin and Hammer.

Anyways, the build won't work without flaws, since you need five feats to meet the class requirements and a 10th level character would only have four total. You can handwaive the Talos/Moradin incongruity as the DM.
I suppose the real question to ask is, what role is this DMPC meant to play? Also what is the party makeup and any other pertinent data?

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-19, 06:46 AM
Well its run as a lazy 3.p using PF for feats so 5 by level 9 and well since its character creation I let fudge rules with the feats so long as they are on the sheet before we begin don't care where just that they are there.

Well the DMPC is there to add damage and act as a guide for the party which is currently consisting of a Rogue//Ranger (She is determining if she is gonna go PrCs) and a Warblade//Magus this guy rarely goes PrC but I need to find out their PrCs to get more details. We may have a 4th but his school and work makes it really hard to nail down a time for him to meet up with us. The other two I live with.

Waker
2013-12-19, 06:54 AM
Well the DMPC is there to add damage and act as a guide for the party which is currently consisting of a Rogue//Ranger (She is determining if she is gonna go PrCs) and a Warblade//Magus this guy rarely goes PrC but I need to find out their PrCs to get more details. We may have a 4th but his school and work makes it really hard to nail down a time for him to meet up with us. The other two I live with.

Do you mean guide in the literal or figurative sense? Is the character meant to lead them about or provide advice? If the former I would think the Ranger type would be better at that, if the latter you might care to invest in a class that has more skill points and Knowledge skills. You could also go the route of magic, perhaps something like a Cloistered Cleric or the Earth Dreamer PrC.
I would also advise against having a DMPC act as a damage dealer. Doing that might pull the spotlight away from the players. If you have to run a DMPC, you are probably better off using him as a Healer/Buffer or mouthpiece for setting knowledge via Knowledge checks or spells.

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-19, 07:05 AM
Well the damage dealer is mostly to help offset the Warblade so he is not the only one doing damage. I have played the Knowledge focused guide before for this party and really he got annoyed that everyone else was only able to wound baddies and he had to be everywhere to finish them off. So its about sharing the duty not stealing the spot light.

He is kind of a exposition device, he is a local to the region they are not. So he just knows things and can give them clues and hints without it being some random NPC that drops that they might be more keen on picking apart as well as if they miss a piece of intel I can still find a way to give them a 'hint't with him there.

Also this is my GF and my future brother in law whom I have known for 14 years and have been gaming with for about a year now several of these 3 player games so we are ok mostly with DMPCs as we all use them during out turn at the screen.

How can I make this idea better I am kinda gonna play him more like the Avatar from the Ultima games just not as the hero of the game.

nedz
2013-12-19, 07:05 AM
If you only have two players it's usually a better idea to let them have two characters each rather than use a DMPC.

If your third guy turns up, well a 6 character party is fine.

Also I assume that your build is as follows
Cleric 5/Stormlord 5//Paladin 7/Hammer of Moradin 3
I didn't think you were allowed PrCs on both sides of a Gestalt at the same level ?

Due to action economy it's usual to have a passive class on one side of a Gestalt.

HereBeMonsters
2013-12-19, 07:13 AM
Technically Gestalts are variants and variants fall under the ruling of a DM and its more a suggestion and I only allow two PrC if only one progresses spell casting.

Nither like handling more then one character often. We tried this before and it ended up just as a lot of book keeping. One was a Summoner and a Healbot and I think she ended up picking up a rogue type for traps and then the other had the warrior focused Monk and Warblades.

Not to mention our characters tend to bounce around well, and my GF likes to play the seductress type characters.. and it would be odd with her brother as the player.

I am willing to drop the Stormlord as it has the most prerequisites and I can largely copy its feel with enchantments. So what Caster progressing PrC would increase skill points?

If the third one shows up I am gonna have to beg him to pick the spellcaster so I dont have to be the guy slinging spells (Magus not included)

Waker
2013-12-19, 07:20 AM
I am willing to drop the Stormlord as it has the most prerequisites and I can largely copy its feel with enchantments. So what Caster progressing PrC would increase skill points?
Paragnostic Apostle, Loremaster, Magical Trickster, Mythic Exemplar and some more.