PDA

View Full Version : Ultraviolet. is this a thing already?

dehro
2013-12-19, 09:44 AM
I was lurking on Amazon for a new DVD and found out it came with ultraviolet code included.
since this is new to me and probably will remain new for a long time, given how backward the policies are in my country when it comes to new technology or the internet, I had to google and find out what it was all about.

I found this (http://www.uvvu.com/faqs.php)
now I wonder.. is this a thing? is it working already? how do you feel about it and what are the ethical implications, other than the practical ones?
is it the future?

Darth Credence
2013-12-19, 10:19 AM
I use it. If a movie I buy has a code, I redeem it, and then I can watch the movie when I'm not at home to watch it on disk. It comes in handy if I'm out of town visiting relatives, because I can watch almost any movie I own on any compatible device - generally this means an XBox. I wouldn't watch movies at home on this, but it is an added benefit. If you have a really good internet connection and don't have to worry about low caps, you could end up watching everything through this and keeping the disks in the case. However, if you do that you would probably be better off just buying a digital copy and never getting a disk in the first place.

tomandtish
2013-12-19, 02:07 PM
Digital content seems to be steadily increasing in market share. More of my friends than not tend these days to buy digital copies of movies (either through Amazon or i-Tunes), and avoid physical media altogether.

There seem to be pros and cons to both sides of the argument.

Disc pros: When I buy a disc, I own the disc. I never have to worry about poor internet connection. I can sell the disc if I don't want the movie anymore. I can loan it or trade it. As long as I have a compatible player and my disc is in good condition I can watch the disc indefinitely. You also tend to get a lot more bonus content in the disc format.

Disc cons: If my disc gets damaged, I have to buy a new one. The hardware requirements for watching a disc are somewhat bigger (I can't watch inherently watch a disc on my phone). Format changes may make my disc obsolete. My media library takes up more space.

Digital Pros: As long as the company I purchased from is in business, I should have access to refresh/replace my download (along with this point, my content is immune from damage concerns since it is replaceable). My media can be watched on many more devices and is much more portable.

Digital Cons: I'm reliant on an internet connection to initially get my content, and to refresh my content. This means I inherently have an extra cost attached to it (the cost of the internet itself). This may be an expense I am paying anyway, but it still bears noting. In some cases, digital content sold by a company may only be accessible on software provided by that company. With digital content, I do not actually own the movie, etc., so in most cases I cannot legally sell or trade it. If something substantial was to happen to the company who sold me my content I may not be able to refresh/replace it (and in a few cases may not have access to it anymore).

In my opinion, the main reasons to stay with discs these days are:

1) You want the bonus features that come on discs.
2) You want to be able to legally sell/trade/give away the move after you watch it.
3) You have significant concerns about the long-term viability of the digital download business.

And the main reasons to go digital:

1) You like the portability and space saving of the medium.
2) You like knowing that your media is going to be backed up by a company so you can redownload it when needed.

I'm sure there are other points for either argument. But it does seem that digital is gaining ground on physical media. It wouldn't surprise me if discs in any form are gone in another 10-12 years.

dehro
2013-12-19, 02:22 PM
a very thorough analysis..
now I just have to figure out how it all applies to non english speaking markets.
for example, right now I could buy/download movies on my tablet directly, there seems to be an app for that, but I have yet to figure out how to do so in the language of my choice (things seem restricted to dubbed italian stuff, very annoying..) and whether I can then watch them on other hardware too (my 'puter, I reckon, or my parents' TV).

Joran
2013-12-19, 02:52 PM
I just accessed my Amazon Cloud Player. For a while as I bought CDs, I noticed a "AutoRip" feature; anytime I bought a CD on Amazon, I'd get a free digital copy. Neat feature, but I never tried it.

This Christmas, I bought the Disney box collection, which I intend to give as a gift. Not only do I get a free MP3 version of it (so gift for me, gift for that other guy!), but I discovered I have access to 5 other CDs that I bought. One CD I bought back in 2006 and forgot I even bought, so I was pretty happy.

tomandtish
2013-12-19, 06:35 PM
a very thorough analysis..
now I just have to figure out how it all applies to non english speaking markets.

Thanks!

As for your non-English market issue, good luck. As noted, Amazon and i-Tunes are probably the two biggest here in the states, but I don't know about other places. They are the two I would suggest for starting a digital library, then expand bbased on what's available, the reliability of the provider, and your preferences.

I just accessed my Amazon Cloud Player. For a while as I bought CDs, I noticed a "AutoRip" feature; anytime I bought a CD on Amazon, I'd get a free digital copy. Neat feature, but I never tried it.

This Christmas, I bought the Disney box collection, which I intend to give as a gift. Not only do I get a free MP3 version of it (so gift for me, gift for that other guy!), but I discovered I have access to 5 other CDs that I bought. One CD I bought back in 2006 and forgot I even bought, so I was pretty happy.

Yeah, one of the frequent bonus features on discs (esp. blu-ray movies) these days IS the dgital copy. It's very common to be able to buy a new release pack for about $20 or so that includes the blu-ray, a DVD, and a digital copy.

I hadn't realized they were doing it with CDs (I've been digital only in music for a while), but it doesn't surprise me.