PDA

View Full Version : [PF] an Oracle/Summoner

JeenLeen
2013-12-19, 11:48 AM
Could someone with experience give me build advice for the following, from levels 1-8:

Medium-sized humanoid (probably human or assamar)
First level in Oracle, deafened curse
Following levels in Summoner, focusing on biped eidolon
Want about medium-optimized, but no crazy stuff to tick off the DM

Concept is a village farm girl, born deaf, who unbeknownst to her and her family is an oracle. She just thinks she's doing things to help, and the villagers are happy enough to ignore that she's lucky/food doesn't spoil around her as easily/etc.

When she reaches level 2 and becomes a summoner, she still isn't really aware of it. She just knows that her guardian shows up when she wishes for him to, and he wants to take her away from this tired life. Also, she can telepathically communicate with him, which is amazing to her after never hearing anyone. He's a manifestation of her unconscious desire to leave and seek adventure. Idea for RP is that the eidolon is really the main character, while the summoner is a background person doing support.

I'm leaning towards the Life mystery to get channeling, but am open to others. It will stay weak, but it will give some extra healing and be useful at low levels. Utility level 0s, maybe with Acid Splash as a backup for when can't do anything else.
I also considered Dual-Cursed to get Tongues & make her less effective for communicating in combat, but I was confused about what Dual-Cursed gives at just level 1; could someone elaborate?

I did realize with Enlarge Person and the Reach evolution, I could have my bipedal with an effective range of 15 feet, which is nice.

Also, if I can trade the Summon Monster powers for anything via an ACF or archetype, let me know. I know they are useful, but it's annoying to me to try to use them wisely & manage my options, so I'd rather not have the power.

EDIT: for stats (20-point-buy), I'm currently looking at
Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 16 --> 18. (Or Wisdom 12 if go assasmar.)

Snowbluff
2013-12-19, 11:54 AM
Why are you doing any oracle at all? The summoner can heal already with Infernal Healing.

Couldn't you just roleplay being deaf?

Spore
2013-12-19, 12:14 PM
I also considered Dual-Cursed to get Tongues & make her less effective for communicating in combat, but I was confused about what Dual-Cursed gives at just level 1; could someone elaborate?

Misfortune relevation (1/day and target forced reroll of d20s; also useable on the party to "force" them to reroll a botched save). It is definitely powerful, but I am unsure if it is worth it. It fits the fluff.

I did realize with Enlarge Person and the Reach evolution, I could have my bipedal with an effective range of 15 feet, which is nice.

Then make it huge if you have the evo points.

Also, if I can trade the Summon Monster powers for anything via an ACF or archetype, let me know.

You could always just be a dual cursed Nature Oracle and take the mount as your eidolon. Unless you have specific ideas for it, you can take a fun animal as well. Or be a Druid.

EDIT: for stats (20-point-buy), I'm currently looking at
Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 16 --> 18. (Or Wisdom 12 if go aasimar.)

Looks reasonable.

Couldn't you just roleplay being deaf?

Yeah, but unless the DM agress (accustomed to casting spells while not hearing yourself), she will had 20% spell failure.

You could ask your DM to switch Summon Monster for the oracle curse feature. It's not official, but that is exactly what you aim for. (Explain that you want so save yourself the complex management of summons and you don't want to crowd the battle map. Ask him if he is comfortable with the curse progression.)

JeenLeen
2013-12-19, 01:18 PM
Yeah, but unless the DM agress (accustomed to casting spells while not hearing yourself), she will had 20% spell failure.

You could ask your DM to switch Summon Monster for the oracle curse feature. It's not official, but that is exactly what you aim for. (Explain that you want so save yourself the complex management of summons and you don't want to crowd the battle map. Ask him if he is comfortable with the curse progression.)

I could see having her act deaf & dumb (unable to speak). The concept first came to mind when I was thinking that it wasn't a Deaf but a Silenced curse. However, I like the multi-classing for two reasons:
1) it gives a lot of level 0 spells, plus a lot of spells/day at early levels.
2) multiclassing hinders my power level ("don't lose a caster level", especially if it powers your eidolon). I'm generally a power-gamer, so I'm trying to make classes that cannot be optimized too much. I see this multi-class as giving a lot of utility, but in the end will be behind in spell levels enough that it won't outshine the others, despite having spellcasting and an eidolon fighter.

I really like the suggestion of asking to trade the Summoning power for the Oracle curse feature. That would be nice. If I wind up making this character, I'll ask him. It definitely hurts the overall power (and annoyance) of the character.

An additional question about Dual-Cursed:

Class Skills: A dual-cursed oracle gains no additional class skills from her mystery.

Bonus Spells: ill omen (2nd), oracle's burden (4th), bestow curse (6th). These bonus spells replace the oracle's mystery bonus spells at these levels.

This does mean that you get no bonus class skills at all, correct? And the bonus spells you get are just those three listed, nothing from a mystery?

Spore
2013-12-19, 01:34 PM
I like the multi-classing for two reasons:
1) it gives a lot of level 0 spells, plus a lot of spells/day at early levels.
2) multiclassing hinders my power level ("don't lose a caster level", especially if it powers your eidolon). I'm generally a power-gamer, so I'm trying to make classes that cannot be optimized too much. I see this multi-class as giving a lot of utility, but in the end will be behind in spell levels enough that it won't outshine the others, despite having spellcasting and an eidolon fighter

To be honest with you: Multiclassing two casting classes isn't a terrible idea, but it hurts me a bit. This combination seems forced (being chosen by the gods AND a guardian at the same time?) if you don't combine the guardian with the "divine intervention".

Other than that, if you don't build your eidolon to be a multiattacking monster (always maximum attacks) or an uber charger ("I charge for 16d8 + 50"), then you should be well within the power levels of your group.

An additional question about Dual-Cursed:

This does mean that you get no bonus class skills at all, correct? And the bonus spells you get are just those three listed, nothing from a mystery?

No. beginning with level 8 and spell level 4, you get your regular spells. No bonus skills is correct.

(So the bonus spells for my Dual Cursed Bones Oracle are: Ill Omen, Oracle's Burden, Bestow Curse, Fear, Slay Living).

JeenLeen
2013-12-19, 04:20 PM
Thinking more on the eidolon, Enlarge Person wouldn't work on it due to it being an outsider, would it?
I see the evolution for enlarging it, though.

Also, I was sad to see that Share Spells doesn't make it such that when you cast a buff on yourself, it hits both you and the eidolon, but rather that you can just cast 'you' only spells on the eidolon as a touch spell. (That's correct, right?)

EDIT: also, any feat advice? I know that one for letting you eidolon stay around a little bit in case you get hit with magical sleep, but otherwise I'm not sure about what would be useful for a caster in PF.

Spore
2013-12-19, 04:58 PM
Also, I was sad to see that Share Spells doesn't make it such that when you cast a buff on yourself, it hits both you and the eidolon, but rather that you can just cast 'you' only spells on the eidolon as a touch spell. (That's correct, right?)

Share Spells (Ex): The summoner may cast a spell with a target of “you” on his eidolon (as a spell with a range of touch) instead of on himself. A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon's type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list. This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells.

Normally you'd take the Summoning route (Augment Summoning, Extra Summons), but you specifically noted that you wouldn't want to summon (and the eidolon only benefits, if he is summoned via spells).

You have a decent charisma. And I LOVE the Eldritch Heritage line to get you some Sorcerer bloodline powers. Skill Focus (Knowledge) + Eldritch Heritage Arcane gives you a familiar, Skill Focus (Knowledge Nature) + EH Sylvan gives you an animal companion EDL-5. Verdant gives you a ranged disarm/stel/trip, deep earth gives you a ranged trip, Rakshasa lets you lie very good and a wide array of ranged/melee touch spells (both blasting and debuffing).

grarrrg
2013-12-19, 10:16 PM
Misfortune relevation (1/day and target forced reroll of d20s; also useable on the party to "force" them to reroll a botched save). It is definitely powerful, but I am unsure if it is worth it. It fits the fluff.

It's good, but it replaces your normal "choose a Revelation". You'd need more Oracle levels, or the 'Extra Revelation' feat to get one from your Mystery.

:smallsigh:
This is very likely the 3rd time I have linked this same FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9ne8) this week.

"General rule: If a class ability modifies your spellcasting, it applies to your spells from all classes, not just spells from the class that grants the ability. (The exception is if the class ability specifically says it only applies to spells from that class.)"

So a Deaf Oracle/[other caster] will cast ALL of their spells as "Silent" spells. No failure.
(the only exception is the Bard, because Silent Spell says it doesn't work on Bard spells)

Curse already progresses at 1/2 rate for Non-Oracle classes, so this seems like a REALLY bad trade.
Maybe if you barter to get BOTH Curses on a Dual Curse to progress (at 1/2 or Full rate) then it might be fair-ish.

Spore
2013-12-20, 02:11 AM
Curse already progresses at 1/2 rate for Non-Oracle classes, so this seems like a REALLY bad trade.
Maybe if you barter to get BOTH Curses on a Dual Curse to progress (at 1/2 or Full rate) then it might be fair-ish.

That's why I asked for full progression in trade for Summon SLA. The summoner is in no danger of slipping into T4. =)

schoklat
2013-12-20, 10:20 AM
Have you considered full Oracle instead?
Fluff wise there are a bunch of archetypes and revelations that could fit your backstory right there (esp Ancestor), but I don't know your specific mental image.
Power wise Oracle is T2, so it doesn't create too many problems for you DM... And an oracle has really many nice buff / support oriented builds that lets you easy keep your own powerlevel in check.