PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] "From small beginnings come great things."

Xefas
2013-12-19, 12:46 PM
Related Threads
This is intended as supplementary material for "Mythos" classes, three of which are listed below. It is the "Kobold Paragon" to the previously made "Human Paragon" here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320038).

The Olethrofex (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16517470)
The Teramach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286983)
The Kathodos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15947087)

http://i.imgur.com/uxMXzXe.png

"We kobolds be related to dragons, but Master not thinks much of that. He says kobolds too puny to be cousins." ~Deekin, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide

The Mythic Kobold

Though Kobold tribes are many, diverse, scattered from one another, and often adversarial, all Kobold cultures still maintain a single unified fulcrum to their systems of belief; that they, though tiny, weak, ugly, and loathed, are the descendants and holy servants of dragon-kind, born of their divine blood to toil in this mortal world for them. Few creatures believe their story, including the very dragons that propagate the tale; like most religious dogma, it is a tool to keep the common reptile content with their miserable existence, proud but docile, productive but complacent.

Unlike most religious dogma, the story is absolutey true. Though, perhaps not in the way they believe. Once, long ago, when the Gods had first erected their Great Wheel, and were shaping its core, and populating it with all manner of creations, one of the greatest among them, Io, saw the small, fleeting, mortal nature of his kinsmens' handiwork, and was displeased. He wished to create something just as divine as he, so from his own body he immaculately conceived a clutch of eggs that, themselves, grew to become powerful Gods in their own right.

Unfortunately, it was only after their birth that Io realized the price he had paid. Great though he was, he could not simply make divinity from nothing at all, and so the creation of his children had diminished him. His power was unquestionable, but he no longer contended to be the greatest among the deities, and his periods of wakefulness became punctuated by great spans of slumber. When his children had grown to their full power, and wished to leave Io's side to make their own way in the multiverse, he told them of their conception and warned them of his folly before letting them loose among the playground of the Gods and entering a long sleep.

Over the millennia, the children of Io made many things; things that they loved, things that loved them, but each invention would drift into dust all too soon for their liking. Despite their father's warning, they sought to make immortal families of their own, who could stand by them as the ages turned. Again, more Gods came into being and, again, their parents were lessened by it. Still, they were no longer lonely, even as the disparate families drifted apart and created their own cultures and traditions.

But, in time, the grandchildren of Io faced their own temptations. They were envious of their parents, whom they were beholden to as children. They had been raised with arrogance and greed as superior beings amongst the frail trinkets of the other Gods. And their rivalry towards their own siblings was fiercely competitive. Eventually, family by family, the grandchildren disregarded their parents' wishes out of a want for power, and made to bring forth more godlings.

However, as each clutch of would-be godlings hatched, their parents were stricken with illness, and collapsed, the divine power in their blood finally bent too far to bear, and they plummeted from the heavens down to the mortal world. When they awoke, they found that their offspring were not Gods, but small, malformed, wretched weakling versions of themselves and they, to their horror, were robbed of their divinity as well. And so, the grandchildren of Io became the Dragons of our world, and their creations, whom they now hated and distrusted, were enslaved and taught to be meak and subservient to "true" dragons. In the passing of new epochs, the source of contempt was forgotten, but the contempt nonetheless remained strong, and the divine power that the Kobolds were formed from faded away, and they became still smaller and still weaker, until all that is left, today, is a hoard of barking vermin.

Io now slumbers, alone in his dreams. His brood, Bahamut and Tiamat foremost among them, turn to the worship of mortals to give them solace as they watch their children wither and die. Their brood are recluses with only hatred or suspicion for their brothers and sisters, only distrust and cruelty for their mewling servants, and only a pile of gold to fill their empty nights. And those servants? They dance and sing and laugh, and make the most of their mayfly existence amidst a family that loves them, while forever wishing to be more like the masters who despise their very existence.

Perhaps, if the world were kind, none would ever get their wish. But their blood, fallen as it is, is the blood of Io The Dragon-Father, and no mere eternity could snuff out its potency altogether.

New Feat: The Legacy of Fallen Blood
Prerequisite: Kobold, One Mythos
Benefit: Choose one Mythos-granting class that you have levels in. You may treat the following Mythos as if they belonged to that class. Your maximum hit points increase by 1 for every [Monstrous] feat you possess. (Note that some feats printed in the Monster Manual are listed as general feats, but given the [Monstrous] tag in later books, such as the Draconomicon.)

If you somehow lose this feat, or no longer qualify for it, you cease to gain the benefits of the granted Mythos until you regain this feat or qualify for it once more.

Exceptional Mythos

Child of the Scaled Gods
Prerequisite: -

You do not immediately gain the benefits of this Mythos upon obtaining it. First, you are taken with an incredible hunger that will allow you to eat your entire body weight in food. After gorging yourself to near immobility, you become Exhausted and have a strong urge to find a dark, quiet place to sleep. Upon finally coming to rest, you will sleep for a full 48 hours unless roused. During this time, your body starts to grow and change in dramatic ways; if you are awoken from your sleep before at least 30 hours have transpired, you are still Exhausted and do not gain the benefits of this Mythos until you gorge and lair once more. If you are given the time you require, you awaken fully rested and healed of hit point damage, ability damage or drain, and any missing limbs are returned, plus you acquire the following changes.

Your natural size increases by one category. This does not increase your Constitution or Natural Armor as it normally would, but your Strength increases and your Dexterity decreases as normal. Furthermore, you gain the Dragon Tail and Dragon Wings feats as bonus feats (RotD).

Draco-Potent Blood Regression

You gain Dragonwrought as a bonus feat (RotD).

As a standard action, you may unleash a Breath Weapon, dealing 1d6 damage per 2 character levels in a cone. Targets are allowed a Reflex save for half damage. The type of damage corresponds to the energy type of your draconic heritage (RotD pg103). The size of the cone is 20ft, plus 10ft per size category larger than Small. After using this Breath Weapon you cannot do so again for 1d4 rounds.

Hulking Tyrant-Lizard Stamina

You gain Improved Speed (Drac) and Kobold Endurance (RotD) as bonus feats.

In addition, you may substitute your Strength modifier in place of your Constitution modifier for the purposes of determining your Fortitude saving throw bonus.

Sorcerous Birthright Awakening
Prerequisite: Must have completed the Draconic Rite of Passage (RotD pg43).

Choose three 0th level spells on the Sorcerer spell list. You gain a number of Arcane Charges equal to your Charisma modifier, which may be expended to cast one of your chosen spells as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to your class level. Resting for 8 hours renews all expended Arcane Charges. Expended an Arcane Charge does not require its own action - it is spent as part of the same action that it takes to cast the spell-like ability.

At 6th level, choose two more 0th level spells, and one 1st level spell. You may expend Arcane Charges to cast these as well. In addition, you may spend an Arcane Charge to cast the spell granted to you by the Draconic Rite of Passage, even if you have already expended its daily use.

At 12th level, choose one more 1st level spell, and one 2nd level spell to add to your list. At 18th level, choose two more 2nd level spells.

Fantastic Mythos

Ancient Omnipredator Body
Prerequisite: One Other Mythos granted by 'The Legacy of Fallen Blood' feat, The 'Dragon Wings' feat

You do not immediately gain the benefits of this Mythos upon obtaining it. Instead, you must undergo the same transformative measures presented in the 'Child of the Scaled Gods' Mythos before receiving the following changes.

Your natural size increases by one category. This does not increase your Constitution or Natural Armor as it normally would, but your Strength increases and your Dexterity decreases as normal. You gain the Awaken Frightful Presence feat (Drac) as a bonus feat, but substitute your class level for your racial hit dice for the purposes of that feat if it would be higher. You also gain the Improved Dragon Wings feat as a bonus feat (RotD).

Teeth Like Swords, Claws Like Spears
Prerequisite: One Other Mythos granted by 'The Legacy of Fallen Blood' feat.

If you do not have a natural Bite attack, you gain a natural Bite attack that functions as a primary natural weapon that deals slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage. It deals 1d6 damage for a Small creature, 1d8 for a Medium creature, 2d6 for a Large creature, and 2d8 for a Huge creature.

You may deal slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage with your unarmed attacks. If you do not have natural Claw attacks, you gain two natural Claw attacks that function as secondary natural slashing weapons. They deal 1d4 damage for a Small creature, 1d6 for a Medium creature, 1d8 for a Large creature, and 2d6 for a Huge creature.

If you have wings but do not have natural Wing attacks, you gain two natural Wing attacks that function as secondary natural bludgeoning weapons. They deal 1 damage for a Small creature, 1d4 for a Medium creature, 1d6 for a Large creature, and 1d8 for a Huge creature.

Legendary Mythos

Invincible Dragonheart Ascendancy
Prerequisite: Two Other Mythos granted by 'The Legacy of Fallen Blood' feat, The 'Dragonwrought' feat, Must have completed the Draconic Rite of Passage (RotD pg43).

You do not immediately gain the benefits of this Mythos upon obtaining it. Instead, you must undergo the same transformative measures presented in the 'Child of the Scaled Gods' Mythos before receiving the following changes.

Your natural size increases by one category, and you gain all associated modifications to your ability scores and natural armor. You gain Spell Resistance equal to your character level + 11 and Damage Reduction 10/Magic. The spell-like ability granted to you by the Draconic Rite of Passage may now be used at will, and does not require meditation to recharge. You have immunity to the energy type associated with your draconic heritage (RotD pg103). And, at this point, you look so much like an actual dragon that you gain a +10 bonus on Disguise checks to be mistaken for a member of the same color of true dragon that you are descended from, of an age category typically associated with your size.

Finally, you contribute to reproduction as if you were a true dragon of the same type you are descended from. For example, a Kobold with this feat, descended from a Blue Dragon, that mates with a Human would produce a Half-Blue-Dragon Human. If they mated with a Blue Dragon, their offspring would be purebred Blue Dragons.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-19, 04:23 PM
I deeply approve of the Smaug reference.

thethird
2013-12-19, 04:47 PM
If two kobolds with invincible dragonheart ascendancy mate together they generate true dragons?

For example Emergency Food the descendant of a red dragon becomes a really passionate Teramarch and eventually gets access to the invincible dragonheart ascendancy. In his quests he meets Dessert a lovely male Kathodos descendant from a Shadow dragon who also happens to have the mythos. Both fall in love (or something similar enough) and since the Book of Erotic Fantasy isn't allowed they don't use protection. What would Emergency Food birth?

Also... I don't have races of the dragon in front of me :P So excuse me if this is a stupid question, but can a Kobold be a dragonwrought kobold of bahamuth or was that only for dragonborn sorcerers?

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-19, 05:17 PM
Also... I don't have races of the dragon in front of me :P So excuse me if this is a stupid question, but can a Kobold be a dragonwrought kobold of bahamuth or was that only for dragonborn sorcerers?

You would have to be a Dragonwrought Dragonborn of Bahamut to select Platinum Dragon as your heritage.

Network
2013-12-19, 05:23 PM
Wow. I didn't think the idea of a kobold becoming a true dragon could be made so interesting. I especially like the way Hulking Tyrant-Lizard Stamina interacts with mythos from the Teramach class that boost strength.

For example Emergency Food the descendant of a red dragon becomes a really passionate Teramarch and eventually gets access to the invincible dragonheart ascendancy. In his quests he meets Dessert a lovely male Kathodos descendant from a Shadow dragon who also happens to have the mythos. Both fall in love (or something similar enough) and since the Book of Erotic Fantasy isn't allowed they don't use protection. What would Emergency Food birth?
I helps if either Emergency Food or Dessert is a female, I think.

thethird
2013-12-19, 05:25 PM
Emergency Food is clearly Female, couldn't you tell? Maybe you lack ranks in Profession (Kobold Sexer)

Network
2013-12-19, 05:35 PM
In his quests he meets Dessert a lovely male Kathodos [...]
Absolutely. Clearly female.

Pokonic
2013-12-19, 05:49 PM
I helps if either Emergency Food or Dessert is a female, I think.

There's a Mythos for that, I'm sure.:smallbiggrin:

Xefas
2013-12-19, 06:01 PM
I deeply approve of the Smaug reference.

:smallbiggrin: I admit to a small amount of glee whenever someone gets a reference like that.

If two kobolds with invincible dragonheart ascendancy mate together they generate true dragons?

Short Answer: True dragons have clutches of 2-5 eggs. I'd say it'd be 50/50 on each one, whether it was a Half-Shadow Red Dragon Wyrmling or a Half-Red Shadow Dragon Wyrmling.

Better Answer: Second edition had Electrum Dragons, hybrid offspring of Gold and Silver Dragons. I don't see why you couldn't look at the Shadow and Red Dragon stats, tweak them towards each other, throw in a few neat quirks, and make a Crimson Dragon.

Normally, I don't think they can be. Because only Humanoids are chosen to become Dragonborn of Bahamut. Dragonwrought makes your type 'Dragon', and it's a feat you're born with.

However, the Draco-Potent Blood Regression Mythos allows you to attain Dragonwrought later in life while circumventing its prerequisites. So, if you were a Dragonborn of Bahamut first, you could then obtain Dragonwrought from that Mythos and be both.

I accept the possibility that I could be wrong, though.

I especially like the way Hulking Tyrant-Lizard Stamina interacts with mythos from the Teramach class that boost strength.

Every class is better with dragons. Mythic Kobold Olethrofex = Make Your Own Dracolich PC.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-19, 06:15 PM
Normally, I don't think they can be. Because only Humanoids are chosen to become Dragonborn of Bahamut. Dragonwrought makes your type 'Dragon', and it's a feat you're born with.

When a character is built, things are applied at the convenience and discretion of the builder; that's how template stacking shenanigans and other things are legal.

Luckily though, this is not necessary because of this:

Racial Hit Dice: You retain your original racial Hit Dice, as well
as all benefits gained therefrom (base attack and save bonuses,
skill points, hit points, and so on).

Level Adjustment: You retain your original level adjustment.

There is no specification in the template that it can only be applied to humanoids and those specific parts of the "Mechanics of Rebirth" prove that it can added to any creature of any creature type*.

Regardless, assuming that the template was exclusive to humanoids, a Kobold would still be fine by RAW (but not necessarily by fluff). Dragonborn keep their racial subtypes and the only requirements for the Dragonwrought feat is to be a Kobold and be 1st level.

Edit:

*As long as they have at least an Intelligence score of 3 and are non-evil.

thethird
2013-12-19, 06:25 PM
Absolutely. Clearly female.

Ups, my bad. :smallredface: Note to self, get some sleep.

anacalgion
2013-12-19, 09:48 PM
I. Love. This.

You are a magnificent person.

Ralcos
2013-12-20, 01:44 AM
I've been watching the progress of these "Mythic" Classes/Races, and I must say... I like these ideas!

Now one of my favorite races (along Warforged and Thri-Kreen) has these awesome Paragon features! (Screams in delight and celebration).
...... Sorry for humiliating myself, I'm just thinking of how much fun that Zytee the Kobold Warlock can now enjoy. :smile:

EDIT:
Note to self: Make Zytee a Dragonwrought Kobold Kathodos

Tychris1
2013-12-20, 11:46 AM
......... You know, now I really want to play a Dragonwrought Kobold Teramach with Gamma-Giant Expansion just so I can become Collosal and go on a roaring rampage of kickassery. THE SHOCK OF MY TAIL IS A THUNDERBOLT!