PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take Durkon to meditate for new spells?

JessmanCA
2013-12-19, 02:47 PM
Will he be back in this fight?

DaggerPen
2013-12-19, 02:50 PM
IIRC, it takes 15 minutes to prepare a partial list of spells, and an hour to prepare the full list. If he returns to the fight, he'll be doing nothing but melee and slam attacks.

Kish
2013-12-19, 02:50 PM
To the question in the title: An hour. Less if he cuts it short before preparing his full complement of spells (and thus spends the next day with a partial complement of spells), but at least ten minutes if he wants to have any, and he didn't seem to believe he could contribute to the fight at all without spells earlier.
To the question in the post, I doubt it.

CombatOwl
2013-12-19, 02:53 PM
IIRC, it takes 15 minutes to prepare a partial list of spells, and an hour to prepare the full list. If he returns to the fight, he'll be doing nothing but melee and slam attacks.

And, you know, energy drains and dominates.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-12-19, 02:54 PM
There's also the small detail that we won't regain any spell slots he's used in the last eight hours, which is most of them. Yes, the Order just got even more problematic from an optimization standpoint.

DaggerPen
2013-12-19, 02:58 PM

Does he have a good way to energy drain aside from slam attacks? I mean, he can obviously drain if he grabs onto a neck and chomps down, but that doesn't seem like a grapple check he's likely to win, and I imagine with Laurin and Tarquin have good enough will saves that Durkon can't dominate them.

There's also the small detail that we won't regain any spell slots he's used in the last eight hours, which is most of them. Yes, the Order just got even more problematic from an optimization standpoint.

While I won't rule out Rich using that - well, rule - I have a strong feeling that he will disregard it.

David Argall
2013-12-19, 03:28 PM
Will he be back in this fight?

As far as spells are concerned, no.
Besides the time needed to gain spells, it is not yet the right time to gain spells. The sun is going down, not down and out of sight. And it won't be dark until long after the fight is over. [Now given the past record, we can't absolutely reject the idea that there will be another fight tonight, but if nothing else, that will be another fight.]

Rodin
2013-12-19, 04:14 PM
As far as spells are concerned, no.
Besides the time needed to gain spells, it is not yet the right time to gain spells. The sun is going down, not down and out of sight. And it won't be dark until long after the fight is over. [Now given the past record, we can't absolutely reject the idea that there will be another fight tonight, but if nothing else, that will be another fight.]

It only requires dusk, and it's already dusk. You can have dusk without the sun being completely below the horizon.

Plus, it has to be dusk because Durkon went to go prepare spells. That becomes nonsensical if he has to wait another hour or two.

That said, I don't think we'll be seeing Durkon again - this is Elan's part of the story. He and Elan have never really interacted all that much on a character level. If we see anybody not currently on deck, it'll be either Roy or Julio.

Personally, I think Elan is going to handle this himself.

Anarion
2013-12-19, 05:04 PM
I do expect a couple scenes with new Durkon as part of wrapping things up in this storyline. Something like
:elan: so...you're a vampire now?
:durkon: aye
:elan: and you're not gonna suck our blood?
:durkon: aye
:elan: well, okay then.

Olinser
2013-12-19, 06:12 PM
It takes him long enough that when he previously did it, his party members felt the need to whine about how long it took.

Keltest
2013-12-19, 06:18 PM
It only requires dusk, and it's already dusk. You can have dusk without the sun being completely below the horizon.

Plus, it has to be dusk because Durkon went to go prepare spells. That becomes nonsensical if he has to wait another hour or two.

That said, I don't think we'll be seeing Durkon again - this is Elan's part of the story. He and Elan have never really interacted all that much on a character level. If we see anybody not currently on deck, it'll be either Roy or Julio.

Personally, I think Elan is going to handle this himself.

I highly doubt that V's newfound appreciation for moderation will compel him to refrain from blasting Tarquin into 3 comics ago if Elan doesn't want to fight.

SlashDash
2013-12-23, 04:20 PM
Plus have regeneration, better armor, damage reduction, gaseous form, shape shifting abilities, summonings and a huge lump of immunities to boot.

Also, who knows what other spells are in his new staff.

Heck, he can win this fight single handedly if he just bull rushes Tarquin. Both of them can fall off and he'll just turn into a bat again.

This is basically what V tried to do, but now Laurin isn't around now...

Tass
2013-12-23, 04:40 PM
Also the sun is only just about to set, so there is at least 15 minutes left until dusk.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-23, 04:44 PM
Durk Malackssen has what amounts to a binary choice at this point. D&D combat is so quick and vicious that he will have to either work at restoring his spells, or go into battle without them. There isn't time for even a partial "refill," because 15 minutes translates to 150 combat rounds. Such a protracted combat is impossible; someone would be dead long before then, either Tarquin or the Order.

Considering his barnacle-like passivity during most of the ground fight, I suspect that Durk is going to sit below and recharge his spells, re-emerging only long after the Evil Father Patrol situation has been resolved.

Copperdragon
2013-12-23, 05:22 PM
We do not yet know if Durkon's concept he now prays to requires him to pick a time to pray. I doubt a vampire praying to the concept of (Lawful) Evil should be able to do so over the day. The night seems much more appropiate, but that is not a requirement per se. It might be one, though.

I also doubt the 8 hours matter. Imo they are only some sort of munchkin-prevention mechanism by the rules that can be put aside if you have a group that is not in danger of that. OotS is very story and character driven, therefore, I'd not be surprised if it got dropped.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-23, 07:25 PM
We do not yet know if Durkon's concept he now prays to requires him to pick a time to pray. I doubt a vampire praying to the concept of (Lawful) Evil should be able to do so over the day. The night seems much more appropiate, but that is not a requirement per se. It might be one, though.

Actually, he clearly specifies that the restoration of spells occurs at dusk, in the first frame:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0909.html

Copperdragon
2013-12-24, 04:47 AM
Ah, thanks. This basically excludes Durkon from showing up in this fight with new spells. It must be late in the date but I strongly doubt it's getting "dusk" fast enough for it to work right away.