PDA

View Full Version : Can you put another helmet on a full plate?

MrUberGr
2013-12-19, 03:48 PM
So, assuming you buy a full plate armor. It is stated it has a visored helmet, gauntlets, and boots and gives you +8 AC. Can you buy a +1 AC helmet, and +1 bracers and get a total of +10 AC?

This came up recently, and I believe it's weird to put one helmet on top of another. Also, if you buy a helmet and then buy gauntlets and a helmet you only get to +9 wich makes me think you cannot do this.

cakellene
2013-12-19, 03:50 PM
Where are you seeing bracers and helmet that give ac?

HC Rainbow
2013-12-19, 03:55 PM
So, assuming you buy a full plate armor. It is stated it has a visored helmet, gauntlets, and boots and gives you +8 AC. Can you buy a +1 AC helmet, and +1 bracers and get a total of +10 AC?

This came up recently, and I believe it's weird to put one helmet on top of another. Also, if you buy a helmet and then buy gauntlets and a helmet you only get to +9 wich makes me think you cannot do this.

With any sort of armor that comes with boots, gloves, helmets, etc. You can swap out those items for other items that will not effect the total AC that your full plate will give you.

Example, Full plate +8 AC and swap out the helmet for a helmet of telepathy Will still give you +8 AC.

HOWEVER.

Armor class does not stack seeing as it is a Named Bonus
Aka. Full Plate 8 AC + Bracers of Armor+4 (+4 AC) = Total of +8 AC.

They do not stack. But youre more than welcome to swap out the full plate gloves for gloves of dexterity +2 and still get the full 8 AC.

If you want to increase your armor class, Rings of Protection, Amulet of Natural Armor, And enchantment bonuses on your full plate will increase that.

Any further questions?

AMFV
2013-12-19, 03:55 PM

It depends on what sort of AC bonus the helmet has, if it's not Armor then sure they'll stack, although a +1 AC bonus to use your head slot is pretty crappy. Particularly when you could have a third eye, or a headband there.

MrUberGr
2013-12-19, 04:09 PM
huh, okay, guess we got that completely wrong... thanks for the clarification.

WbtE
2013-12-19, 06:17 PM
I have a feeling that there were rules for this sort of thing in one of the 2e expansions. 1e discouraged you from going without a helmet by having about 10% of attacks automatically directed at the head (no "called shot" penalty, just luck of the draw) and implied that intelligent foes might take more advantage.

Some form of head protection is usually a good idea when spelunking, anyway.