PDA

View Full Version : Beating various types of Silence

DeAnno
2013-12-19, 03:49 PM
An interesting theoretical question for the playground: assume a spellcaster wants to avoid being helpless in regions where he can't use verbal components; is there any better or cheaper solution than Silent Spell? Consider not only defeating conventional Silence spells, but also supernatural effects of quiet and even environmental conditions like vacuum which prevent sounds physically.

One thing I know of, and have used in the past, are metamagic rods of Silent Spell. These are especially handy when you use them to cast Greater Dispel or something to kill the Silence effect, but dependence on gear is bad and the costs can be high.

The Silent Spell feat itself is costly to use, both because all feats are very valuable and because of the +1 Level adjustment. Are there ways to get the feat for free or apply it at no cost? I know you can pick up Silent Spell free with Unseen Seer 2, which makes a very good 2 level paranoia dip even for those who don't want to mess with the CL distorting problems.

Are there nonepic effects similar to Automatic Silent Spell out there? Are there any spells without Verbal Components that can get you out of situations like that? Spells like Invoke Magic (which does it for AMFs) which allow you to use verbal components in spite of a lack of sound? Spells which give you control of the environment immediately around you and let you no-sell Silence type effects inside it?

cakellene
2013-12-19, 03:52 PM
I think there is an epic feat to apply silent metamagic without modifying spell level.

Zytil
2013-12-19, 04:12 PM
I think an eternal wand of joyful noise would work. Not sure how wands and concentration-based durations work though. If it does work, that's 820 gp instead of 3k.