PDA

View Full Version : Animated Clothing/Armor? What would it do?

unseenmage
2013-12-19, 08:47 PM
So I've been toying with the idea of an Artificer or mage whose entire outfit is made of intelligent animated objects. (Minor Servitors (SS), Awakened Animated Objects (SC), or Shapesand Awakened Sands (Sa).)

Assuming I can cheat their loyalty and make it so they won't flee every time I'm in combat (Greater Humanoid Essence + Fanatic Diplomacy), what would having animated clothing/armor even do besides make it very very easy to get dressed?

Edit: What about attacks that should hit you hitting your clothing instead? I suppose too that it would be funny for an enemy to try Sunder-ing your armor only to have it fail because that armor is a creature.

One assumes too that any AC or mundane benefit from wearing animated gear would be negated when the equipment acts as a creature of it's own accord instead of the item it's supposed to be.

D4rkh0rus
2013-12-19, 08:53 PM
{{scrubbed}}

unseenmage
2013-12-19, 08:55 PM
{{scrubbed}}

No just no. Not cool.

Hangwind
2013-12-19, 09:03 PM
You could have the clothing do grapple checks? Make stripping a combat art!

(I REALLY hope you have high charisma and aren't Venerable.:smalleek:)

TuggyNE
2013-12-19, 09:10 PM
So I've been toying with the idea of an Artificer or mage whose entire outfit is made of intelligent animated objects. (Minor Servitors (SS), Awakened Animated Objects (SC), or Shapesand Awakened Sands (Sa).)

Assuming I can cheat their loyalty and make it so they won't flee every time I'm in combat (Greater Humanoid Essence + Fanatic Diplomacy), what would having animated clothing/armor even do besides make it very very easy to get dressed?

Not much; aid another, perhaps; conceivably Ride checks with a permissive DM to negate damage to you; maybe some other random stuff.

Although, if you stuff some buff spells on them, they might be able to help you out more actively, especially if you can give them ranged attacks. Can't think of a good example off-hand, though.

unseenmage
2013-12-19, 09:15 PM
Not much; aid another, perhaps; conceivably Ride checks with a permissive DM to negate damage to you; maybe some other random stuff.

Although, if you stuff some buff spells on them, they might be able to help you out more actively, especially if you can give them ranged attacks. Can't think of a good example off-hand, though.

Give them each the feat that lets them know/cast one spell and make that spell Magic Missile?

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-19, 10:46 PM
what would having animated clothing/armor even do besides make it very very easy to get dressed?

You mean other than run against you naked body all day?

Hmmm they can keep watch for you while you sleep. (Also, they will watch you while you sleep...). Just imagine your pants screening, "Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!" Every time someone try's to rob you.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-19, 10:55 PM
animated clothing would give the most disturbingly effective hugs ever. alternatively it saves the player from having to carry an outfit around with them, if they're trying to sneak their armor into a party it makes it much easier if the armor is able to climb in through a window instead of some trick involving a magical storage space.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-19, 10:58 PM
You could have it scratch your itches for you and Aid Another with attack rolls.

shaikujin
2013-12-19, 11:18 PM
Idea I had some time back.

Animate each individual link in a suit of chainmail. You now have around 10 thousand animated objects.

Look up LoP's nanobots build.

Have all 10,000 objects provide aid another checks for any skill.

+20,000 to any skill check.

Also power armor. Have the animated objects move/carry you so that you don't have to spend your move action.

Have them form a bust if you are disguising yourself as a woman, form bulging biceps, increase height by forming platform shoes etc.

Instead of riveted links, make a clasp for each link to allow them to unlink from each other.

As needed, have the animated links unlink themselves and relink to form ropes, flexible 10 foot poles, tentacles to grab stuff, set off traps, grab on to ledges of pit traps etc

For more, cheese, make them actual constructs, make them count as vermin somehow (there was a prc that does this), combine with LoP's Hive build.

animewatcha
2013-12-19, 11:25 PM

You..Are..Iron Man. *cue the slightly modified Iron Man theme*

Drachasor
2013-12-20, 06:24 AM
I wrote up something for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317760) and posted it here a couple weeks back.

It's based on PF rules...

Animated Clothing:
Creature Type: Construct
Statistics: Identical to an Animated Object of a size equal to the wearer or smaller. Except the size of the clothing is always equal to the wearer. The only other difference is Animated Clothing has an Intelligence of 1.

Animated Clothing appears to be just like regular outfit. In fact, it is a simple construct, treat it as animated object of the same size as the creature it is fitted for. It can dress or undress the owner in itself by taking a standard action (the owner spends no action to accept, or can resist which starts a grapple). While worn, it helps its master carry items. Its Carrying Capacity values augment those of its master (add its light load to its master's to determine the master's light load when wearing Animated Clothing, etc).

Animated Clothing may be magical, in which case it confers all of its properties onto its master while worn. Any magical items Animated Clothing might be wearing take up the same slots on its master while it is worn. Animated Clothing cannot make attacks or aid in attacks while it is worn. In these and all other ways except where stated above, treat Animated Clothing just like a non-animated version of the same item while worn, albeit with the enhanced defenses and hit dice of a construct if someone attempts to sunder it.

Unlike most constructs, Animated Clothing has a degree of intelligence (int 1). It is non-violent and has a domestic attitude by nature. Any skills or feats it possesses will always reflect this (e.g. Skill Focus(Profession(cook)), ranks in Craft(Tailor), etc). Animated Clothing tends to grow a bit possessive of its owner with regards to other clothing. Animated Clothing has been known to have fits of jealousy or depression when it is not worn.

Requirements: Craft Construct, Price/Cost: The same as an Animated Object of the size (Often Construction Points are left unspent to reduce the cost), plus the price/cost of the clothing. Construction Points must be spent to represent the material the clothing is made out of, if it is made of anything stronger than wood.
Note: There are two rules in Pathfinder for how much Animated Object cost.
Either:
Price: (Hit Dice + Construction Points)*1000
or
Price: CR^2 (2 CP = +1 CR)
Special: Animated Clothing can use any of the Construction Point options for Animated Objects. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object) It can also use the following:

Cargo Pants (1-3 CP): Animated Clothing can increase its strength for purposes of Carrying Capacity using Construction Points. 1 CP: +8 Strength, 2 CP: +12 strength, 3 CP: +16 strength. Again, this only applies to Carrying Capacity.

Self-Repair (1 CP): The Animated Clothing can repair itself at a rate of 1 HP per minute with a successful Craft check (of the appropriate type) DC 10, and it gains a +2 racial bonus on all craft checks of this type.

PF Reference (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs).