PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5: Underwater Illusionist?

ibstudent220
2013-12-19, 09:08 PM
For a dungeon I designed for a party, I need an underwater monster capable of casting Silent Image, preferably CR 2-4. Any suggestions?

Further details: I'm planning to make a dungeon that looks like one my players have been through previously, except this version will replace the monster that nearly killed one of the party members (dire crocodile) with an illusion of a crocodile instead.

WbtE
2013-12-19, 09:12 PM
Par for the course would be a merfolk with levels in an arcane spellcasting class. Did you want something more monstrous, more exotic, or both?

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-19, 09:14 PM
An item that allows the use of silent image could work too, a wand or a scroll of a custom magic item.

faden
2013-12-19, 09:22 PM
Seconded, a few arcane levels, that's exactly what I was going to say. As far as I know, any other options I think you would have to houserule, which would also be awesome. Say, a newt that has a magic circlet that projects a monstrous form of itself, a creature with some sort of wand, or a merfolk with a necklace that lets them cast silent image 1/day, but only works underwater, but can also cast rebuke crocodile 2/week (like rebuke undead). Perhaps the PC's don't figure this out until a later date. This way it gives someone a cool token to take away from the adventure, making it both more memorable and gives them extra combat options without being too overpowering.

Urpriest
2013-12-19, 10:57 PM
What sort of groups control the dungeon? What races/alliances should we be considering?

Chronos
2013-12-20, 12:32 AM
There used to be a beholderkin monster called, IIRC, "Eye of the Deep" that could use Silent Image and Ghost Sound (or rather, the 2nd edition equivalents of those spells). I don't know if it ever got updated, though.

Urpriest
2013-12-20, 12:38 AM
There used to be a beholderkin monster called, IIRC, "Eye of the Deep" that could use Silent Image and Ghost Sound (or rather, the 2nd edition equivalents of those spells). I don't know if it ever got updated, though.

It did! It's in Lords of Madness, and can use Persistent Image at-will. CR 8, though, so probably too powerful.