Song of the Dead
[Metamagic]

Mind-Affecting spells prepared with this
feat effect Intelligence Undead, but not
Mindless Undead, Constructs, or any living creatures of any
type.
Any spell prepared with this Feat
becomes a Necromancy spell

My question is, to get the spell to become a necromancy spell... does the spell have to be prepared like a Wizard does, or could a spontaneous caster using this metamagic feat also have their spells become necromancy.
for instance. if a sorceror were to use this feat to cast a fireball, normally an evocation, would it then become necromancy instead?

MesiDoomstalker
2013-12-20, 12:02 AM
Song of the Dead
[Metamagic]

type.

My question is, to get the spell to become a necromancy spell... does the spell have to be prepared like a Wizard does, or could a spontaneous caster using this metamagic feat also have their spells become necromancy.
for instance. if a sorceror were to use this feat to cast a fireball, normally an evocation, would it then become necromancy instead?

Fireball would not be a valid target for the feat, as it lacks the [Mind-Effecting] tag. However, I believe that a spell cast spontaneously with this Metamagic would be Necromancy.

Xintas
2013-12-20, 10:14 AM
The text is very explicit. It must be prepared. Your DM may allow you to do it on spontaneous spells (I would), but RAW, no.

nedz
2013-12-20, 10:50 AM
No the dysfunction is that prepared spells become necromantic, spontaneous ones don't.

Any spells prepared with Song of the Dead become necromancy spells.

Chronos
2013-12-20, 10:53 AM
If that's the full text of the feat, it looks to me like you could use it on a Fireball, but it just wouldn't do anything.

CombatOwl
2013-12-20, 10:54 AM
Song of the Dead
[Metamagic]

type.

If you do not prepare the spell, it is the normal school.

MrHackenSlasher
2013-12-23, 12:48 PM
The reason I'm asking about this feat is that I'm looking to combine it with Black Lore of Moil (along with other metamagics) for a Sorcerer build.

Is there any other way of changing or adding necromancy to a spells descriptor?

I can't recall the name of the feat currently, but isn't there a feat that allows spontaneous casters to memorize spells? If there is such a thing, would that feat, combined with the Song of the dead feat, allow someone to change/modify the spell descriptor of a spell to be able to add Black Lore of Moil to the spell?

Chronos
2013-12-23, 01:57 PM
Arcane Preparation, from Complete Arcane. Its most common use is to qualify a sorcerer for Mage of the Arcane Order.