PDA

View Full Version : Soulcaster/Incarnate/Totemist

GhengisConrad
2013-12-19, 11:49 PM
So... I don't think I get how the Chakra Binds work. When you get Chakra binds, you get it for the class you get it for, and the only things that 'combine' is the essentia pool.

Thats cool.

So howabout if I have two meld shaping classes? As I progress each time I can choose which class to advance, but at 3rd and 8th level, I get a chakra upgrades.

Does this mean I could grab the lesser binds for one class style and the greater binds for the other?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-19, 11:57 PM
You have one essentia pool, which can be used for any meld you have shaped, and a limited number of chakra slots. But chakra binds are class features-- there's no crossover between, say, Incarnate binds and Totemist binds. A Totemist 5/Incarnate 2 could bind melds from either class list to his Crown chakra, but he could only bind totemist melds to his feet or hands. Your number of melds shaped or bound is also different distinct.

Are you familiar with psionics? It's kind of like that-- you have one power point reserve that you can spend on any power you know, but different classes give you different sets of powers known.

Now, a one or two-level dip in the other meldshaping class (Incarnate or Totemist; Soulborn don't count) is a nice thing to do, as melds are often pretty useful even without binding, and essentia capacity is determined by character level. But how many you can shape and bind advances separately for separate classes.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-20, 12:09 AM
Sorry. I should have been more clear. OP is about Soulcaster the prestige class, and its affects on chakras.

Coidzor
2013-12-20, 11:21 PM
Chakra Binds gained through Incarnate are only for Incarnate Soulmelds. In the same way Chakra Binds gained through Totemist are only good for Totemist Soulmelds.

The number of chakras you can bind to is a bit screwy when multiclassing between meldshapers and I can't recall how it works at all offhand.

IIRC, Chakra Binds gained from a prestige class apply to all soulmelds the character can shape, hence Totemist/Incarnate/Necrocarnate builds, which, IIRC, pick up all chakra binds for all soulmelds.

For a soulcaster build you don't really want to have more than one meldshaping class, though. It's a Prestige Class more for adding meldshaping onto a caster than adding casting onto a meldshaper.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-21, 12:18 AM
Sorry. I should have been more clear. OP is about Soulcaster the prestige class, and its affects on chakras.
Oh, OK. It would work the same as if you had two casting classes and entered a PrC that grants "+1 level of existing spellcasting class"-- you'd decide which class to add it to at each level. I'd assume that the chakra binds work the same way... although that appears to be RAI. It doesn't state that the binds only work for one class, so you could argue that you could bind melds from either class to the newly-opened chakras...

tl;dr: Answer unclear, double-check with your GM.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-21, 03:01 AM
so... is it one of each or each for everyone?

Without eratta or some kind of clarification I have to err on the side of whatever gives less power... as that is our way....

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-21, 03:22 AM
so... is it one of each or each for everyone?

Without eratta or some kind of clarification I have to err on the side of whatever gives less power... as that is our way....
I'd say that the most conservative (and logical) reading is that all the advancement-- "+1 level of existing meldshaping class," new binds and the like-- have to go towards advancing the same class's meldshaping, and only that class's meldshaping.