PDA

View Full Version : Catgirls

Scorpina
2007-01-17, 03:40 PM
My sister (I swear it's not me. No Really) wants to know if it's possible to play a Catgirl in D&D. I've already pointed her towards Werecats, but, um, any other suggestions?

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-17, 03:41 PM
I think savage species had some cat people in it.

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-17, 03:43 PM
I think there's a Catfolk race in Races of the Wild.

Telonius
2007-01-17, 03:45 PM
Shifter, from Eberron; cat-themed. Druid who wildshapes into a lion, cat, or leopard. There's some stuff in the BoED that might work; guardinals might be the way to go.

Douglas
2007-01-17, 03:45 PM
Catfolk from Races of the Wild.

TSGames
2007-01-17, 03:47 PM
Those things from Oriental Adventures.

Amiria
2007-01-17, 03:54 PM
Yes, Catfolk. You can find their stats in the Races-PDF at Crystal Keep.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-17, 04:01 PM
Note that to play a werecat you have to play a Tiny race. Halflings work well, since Rogue is a natural choice for werecat (cat form automatically gives you five attacks in a full attack and nobody objects to you sneaking around where you're not supposed to be).

JaronK
2007-01-17, 04:20 PM
Shadow Whispergnome Werecat! The LA is insane, but it's a hilarous concept...

Anyway, for normal play, Catfolk are what you'd want.

JaronK

Machete
2007-01-17, 04:29 PM
Miniatures Handbook page 56
Catfolk
Natural rogues, scouts, and rangers. Level Adjustment +1

Green Bean
2007-01-17, 04:31 PM
Repeatedly quote real-world physics in DnD, then follow the screams :smallbiggrin:

Jewish_Joke
2007-01-17, 04:35 PM
If your "sister" is looking for catlike people found in anime and/or manga, then the catfolk found in Races of the Wild, and the Miniatures Handbook is what you're looking for.

There's also the Tibbit, a race of small humanoids that can transform themselves into common housecats. They developed from housecats kept as familiars. They're interesting to play.

Oh Yeah, they're in the Dragon Compendium...

Xefas
2007-01-17, 04:58 PM
You could also do an Anthropomorphic Cat from Savage Species. They're small sized, so I guess it'd kinda be Digi-Karat type catgirl...but, y'know...

Though, thats only an alternative if you don't want to play Catfolk.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-17, 05:07 PM
Those things from Oriental Adventures.

That would be Hengeyokai. It isn't quite the same. It's more like being a human who can turn into an animal and a hybrid. Like a lycanthrope without the annoying HD and control shape skill but less tooth and claw awesomeness.

A Pointy Object
2007-01-17, 05:10 PM
There's also the Tibbit race in the Dragon Compendium. Just in case your sister wants a break from being a cat once in a while.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-17, 05:14 PM
You could play a talking celestial house cat to amusing effect.

Santanya
2007-01-17, 05:22 PM
She might also concider Rakasha if you're looking at a higher level campaign. Another option is the Savage Species' take on it, which takes class levels to again their abilities. If you're DM is open minded, its possible to mix class levels along in it as well for a fairly balanced character (funwise and ability wise).

Just remember to wear the gloves on the opposite hands!

Amiria
2007-01-17, 05:39 PM
There are also real Catgirls in the Munchkin D20 Monster Manual (D&D 3.0) by Peter Jackson Games !

Divides
2007-01-17, 05:55 PM
My sister (I swear it's not me. No Really) wants to know if it's possible to play a Catgirl in D&D. I've already pointed her towards Werecats, but, um, any other suggestions?

Catfolk: +4 Dex, +2 Cha; Movement: 40; Low-Light Vision; +2 to listen and move silently; +1 Natural armor; Automatic Languages: Common and Feline, Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Halfling, and Sylvan; FC: Ranger; Level Adjust: +1.

TheOOB
2007-01-17, 06:04 PM
That would be Hengeyokai. It isn't quite the same. It's more like being a human who can turn into an animal and a hybrid. Like a lycanthrope without the annoying HD and control shape skill but less tooth and claw awesomeness.

Acually, Hengeyokai are animals who can turn into humans, huge difference role-play wise. Besides their spirits whichs causes problums.

It's not hard to home-brew a race, for instance an anime inspiried catgirl

Nekomimi

Nekomimi(literally "cat-ears") are a form of Bakeneko(magic cats) that are mostly human in appearance with a few prominate cat-like features usually including ears, a tail, eyes, and perhaps areas of light fur. While the exact appearance varies greatly, most share similar common in game statistics.

- +2 Dex, -2 Wis: Nekomimi are swift and agile, but tend to be unobservant and easily distracted.
- Medium or Small Size: Most Nekomimi are medium sized liked a human, though some less common and paticuarly cat-like Nekomimi are Small sized instead. Small sized Nekomimi suffer from a -2 penalty to Str in addition to the normal Nekomimi ability adjustments
- Low-Light Vision: A Nekomimi's keen eyes are adapted for low-light conditions. They can see twice as far as a human in low-light conditions.
- Claws: While Nekomimi's claws arn't as fully formed as a cats, they can still be useful for combat. Nekomimi gain improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat. When using an unarmed strike to deal leathal damage a Nekomimi deals slashing and bludgeoning damage.
- +2 Racial Bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks: Despite being more out of touch with the world then most humans, Nekomimis eyes are ears are quite sensitive.
- +2 Racial Bonus to Balance, Climb, and Jump checks: Nekomimi's tail and claws make them quite adept at getting to odd places
- Scent: Nekomimi have the scent special quality(see MM)
- Favored Class: Rogue

Divides
2007-01-17, 06:06 PM
Acually, Hengeyokai are animals who can turn into humans, huge difference role-play wise. Besides their spirits whichs causes problums.

Not according to oriental adventures they arn't.

Atleast, as far as I checked I couldn't find the spirit subtype.

It's not hard to home-brew a race, for instance an anime inspiried catgirl

Nekomimi

Nekomimi(literally "cat-ears") are a form of Bakeneko(magic cats) that are mostly human in appearance with a few prominate cat-like features usually including ears, a tail, eyes, and perhaps areas of light fur. While the exact appearance varies greatly, most share similar common in game statistics.

- +2 Dex, -2 Wis: Nekomimi are swift and agile, but tend to be unobservant and easily distracted.
- Medium or Small Size: Most Nekomimi are medium sized liked a human, though some less common and paticuarly cat-like Nekomimi are Small sized instead. Small sized Nekomimi suffer from a -2 penalty to Str in addition to the normal Nekomimi ability adjustments
- Low-Light Vision: A Nekomimi's keen eyes are adapted for low-light conditions. They can see twice as far as a human in low-light conditions.
- Claws: While Nekomimi's claws arn't as fully formed as a cats, they can still be useful for combat. Nekomimi gain improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat. When using an unarmed strike to deal leathal damage a Nekomimi deals slashing and bludgeoning damage.
- +2 Racial Bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks: Despite being more out of touch with the world then most humans, Nekomimis eyes are ears are quite sensitive.
- +2 Racial Bonus to Balance, Climb, and Jump checks: Nekomimi's tail and claws make them quite adept at getting to odd places

Yes... but isn't this a bit superfluous, when we already have the catfolk race?

(I suppose there are those who would want the claws... as well as campaigns that don't make room for the level adjust... but really, neither of those are THAT hard to make modifications for.)

Dire Penguin
2007-01-17, 06:35 PM
of course it's possible! make a homebrew, or look in the homebrew forum!

TheOOB
2007-01-17, 07:12 PM
Not according to oriental adventures they arn't.

Atleast, as far as I checked I couldn't find the spirit subtype.

Yes... but isn't this a bit superfluous, when we already have the catfolk race?

(I suppose there are those who would want the claws... as well as campaigns that don't make room for the level adjust... but really, neither of those are THAT hard to make modifications for.)

Any race with a LA is basically never worth taking in the vast majority of campaigns. Besides, the RotW Catfolk race are absolutly nothing like the anime inspired nekos.

Divides
2007-01-17, 07:34 PM
Any race with a LA is basically never worth taking in the vast majority of campaigns.

Uh, you sure about that? I know that most races with racial hit dice wind up not being worth playing BECAUSE of the ridiculous LA that tends to come with it... but I've seen people pull off races with just 1 LA (or ever 1 LA) and nothing else... and they tend to work fine. Infact, they're generally far superior to a non LA race.

Besides, the RotW Catfolk race are absolutly nothing like the anime inspired nekos.

Um, dude? I watch anime, I've read the book... please explane what you seem to be seeing that I'm not?

TimeWizard
2007-01-17, 07:40 PM
[quote=Xefas;1846147]You could also do an Anthropomorphic Cat from Savage Species. They're small sized, so I guess it'd kinda be Digi-Karat type catgirl...but, y'know...quote]

We do not speak it's name. </spooky>

TheOOB
2007-01-17, 07:45 PM
Um, dude? I watch anime, I've read the book... please explane what you seem to be seeing that I'm not?

Catfolk are feral, savage(by human standards) slightly shamistic beings who are on the cusp between man and animal. Nekomimi are girls(usually) with a few cat-like parts that have an overall cute and cuddly demeanor.

The difference between catfolk and nekomimi is like the difference between gnomes and halflings. Sure both are humanesq small people, but theres enough difference that they are two distinct races.

Divides
2007-01-17, 08:10 PM
Catfolk are feral, savage(by human standards) slightly shamistic beings who are on the cusp between man and animal. Nekomimi are girls(usually) with a few cat-like parts that have an overall cute and cuddly demeanor.

The cute part I'll give you (usually, anyway). Everything else is flawed.

For one thing, you're making a false generalization of anime catgirls. Their behavior and culture, from what I've seen, varies greatly depending on the series. There are certainly quite a few "domestic" style catgirls... I've also seen more than a handful of wild tigress-types in anime, as well, though... ESPECIALLY in the case of fantasy anime (To line up with a fantasy RPG, perhaps?). Even Merl from Escaflowne had her wild side.

I also disagree somewhat with your interpretation of the description of the catfolk race... but I think I only differ there by degrees, so I'm not gonna make as big a deal about it. Besides, behavior is one of the most easilly and most frequently altered thing about races from one campaign to the next.

Anyway, bottom line is I think you need to take a better look at the race... it seems pretty obvious to me that they not only are passable as anime catgirls (even if you have to modify the behavior a little to get the exact "flavor" you want), but that, infact, appealing to anime-catgirl fans was WotC's EXACT point in creating them. Ever noticed that +2 to charisma? Ever wondered why that might be there? I REALLY don't think it was because they're supposed to be "between beast and man." I think it was to make room for EXACTLY what is being talked about here (possibly while trying not to blatantly give away that intent behind the race, on account that it would drive off certain non-anime obsessed gamers).

IMNERHO, the race is perfectly legit.

The difference between catfolk and nekomimi is like the difference between gnomes and halflings. Sure both are humanesq small people, but theres enough difference that they are two distinct races.

(It's basically just restating my point, but...) I disagree. The modifications needed are at most superficial... and arguably even non-existent.

Raool
2007-01-17, 09:07 PM
Rakshasa ?

TheOOB
2007-01-18, 12:15 AM
The cute part I'll give you (usually, anyway). Everything else is flawed.

For one thing, you're making a false generalization of anime catgirls. Their behavior and culture, from what I've seen, varies greatly depending on the series. There are certainly quite a few "domestic" style catgirls... I've also seen more than a handful of wild tigress-types in anime, as well, though... ESPECIALLY in the case of fantasy anime (To line up with a fantasy RPG, perhaps?). Even Merl from Escaflowne had her wild side.

I also disagree somewhat with your interpretation of the description of the catfolk race... but I think I only differ there by degrees, so I'm not gonna make as big a deal about it. Besides, behavior is one of the most easilly and most frequently altered thing about races from one campaign to the next.

Anyway, bottom line is I think you need to take a better look at the race... it seems pretty obvious to me that they not only are passable as anime catgirls (even if you have to modify the behavior a little to get the exact "flavor" you want), but that, infact, appealing to anime-catgirl fans was WotC's EXACT point in creating them. Ever noticed that +2 to charisma? Ever wondered why that might be there? I REALLY don't think it was because they're supposed to be "between beast and man." I think it was to make room for EXACTLY what is being talked about here (possibly while trying not to blatantly give away that intent behind the race, on account that it would drive off certain non-anime obsessed gamers).

IMNERHO, the race is perfectly legit.

(It's basically just restating my point, but...) I disagree. The modifications needed are at most superficial... and arguably even non-existent.

I never said catfolk arn't a legitmate race, but I'm thinking that D&D can handle more then one race on the theme of cat/humans, I mean look at how many elves they are for crying out loud.

Divides
2007-01-18, 01:03 AM
I never said catfolk arn't a legitmate race, but I'm thinking that D&D can handle more then one race on the theme of cat/humans, I mean look at how many elves they are for crying out loud.

Oh sure. Infact, to be more accurate it can handle more than two races on the theme of cat/humans (anthropomorphic and the catfolk already exist... which means that WotC seems to have already started a bit of a trend :-p). I just ment that arguing that the homebrew should be used as the official "catgirl" race seemed a little superfluous. But I suppose that came off as allot more of a knock on your idea that I should have let it... new races are always good (as long as they're balanced). So I appologize.

TSGames
2007-01-18, 01:10 AM
I keep waiting for the mortal combat guy to leap out of the forums and yell:
"NERD COMBAT!!!"

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-18, 01:25 AM
Give her Human stats, give her cosmetic ears and tail which do nothing mechanically.

Congratulations, you have a catgirl.

TheThan
2007-01-18, 01:27 AM
Well since I never pass up the chance to promote my own work, I “rolled” up the stats for a anime style catgirl (even though there are males) race somewhere… let me find it
Searching…
Searching…
Searching…

Found it! here’s the link:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11216

Suzaku
2007-01-18, 01:28 AM
Give her Human stats, give her cosmetic ears and tail which do nothing mechanically.

Congratulations, you have a catgirl.

What about claws, scent and low light vision?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-18, 01:40 AM
What about claws, scent and low light vision?

*shrugs* Claws are a waste anyways. Scent is nearly so. Low Light Vision is too easy to make up elsewhere.

Besides, I take it this lady is not entirely familiar with the game mechanics? She'll likely never know the difference.

Suzaku
2007-01-18, 01:42 AM
If you're a rogue Claws are never a waste :P

menschenfresser
2007-01-18, 01:48 AM
and please,please, please, could you people stop comparing the rhakshasa to some stinky catgirls.... :smallfurious:

(sorry but it's one of my favourits. and i'm a manga fan. NOT. :smallconfused:)

bladesmith
2007-01-18, 01:52 AM
Nekomimi

- Favored Class: Rogue
Okay, I'll get this out of the way now, but I don't watch anime. Okay, so I've watched a couple animes(none of which involved catgirls, I am happy to say). Still, I'm no addict, I'm not even a fan, so anything I say here will be completely without any bias towards any idea of anime.

Now, I would like to say that perhaps this particular homebrew is a little unbalanced. I think the ability adjustments are fine, but consider all the advantages you are giving them in skills and special qualities. 1) they essentially have natural weapons. Now, they don't get two claw attacks as if they were actually natural weapons, but you are giving them essentially a bonus feat and making them armed while unarmed. That, and the few(so very few) catgirls I have seen don't have claws. But I'll let you figure that out for yourself. 2) Scent. By giving them scent you make it very hard for a person to sneak up on them, and especially with the +2 to listen and spot, they become even harder to sneak up on. A nice advantage over any of the other base races. 3) You list six skills that they have an automatic +2 bonus to. The closest I can see a base race getting to that is the halfling, which gets a +2 to four skills, one of which(jump) they have an inherent -6 penalty to because of their 20 ft base speed.

I'm no expert at balancing races or classes or any other homebrew stuff, heck I don't even claim to be any good at it at all, but my first reaction to something like this would be to slap a +1 LA on it. Just my opinion.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-18, 01:59 AM
Okay, I'll get this out of the way now, but I don't watch anime. Okay, so I've watched a couple animes(none of which involved catgirls, I am happy to say). Still, I'm no addict, I'm not even a fan, so anything I say here will be completely without any bias towards any idea of anime.

SNIP.

In short, I agree.

Give them a +2 Dex, -2 Int and Wis, and Scent if you absolutely have to. Catgirls don't generally have claws (Felicia was not a catgirl, she was an Anthro, and properly represented with the cat-person race in Races of the Wild). Then give them +2 to balance and climb and call it all good.

They are not only flighty and ditzy, they are also generally not very bookish, and don't know a whole lot about any sort of intellectual topic. They are, however, naturally agile.

By the way, by calling them 'unobservant' in your justification to reduce their Wis score, then adding bonuses to their observation skills, is fairly redundant and smacks of munchkinism. (the person you quoted, not you)

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-18, 03:09 AM
Agree about the Listen/Search/Spot. More properly moved towards Hide/Move Silently.

Divides
2007-01-18, 03:20 AM
In short, I agree.

Give them a +2 Dex, -2 Int and Wis, and Scent if you absolutely have to. Catgirls don't generally have claws (Felicia was not a catgirl, she was an Anthro, and properly represented with the cat-person race in Races of the Wild). Then give them +2 to balance and climb and call it all good.

Actually, anthro kitties are, infact, considered catgirls (well, unless they're male... work with me here)... they're just "true-furry" catgirls rather than "intermediate" catgirls.

Brush up on your otakese :-p.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-01-18, 01:33 PM
Actually, anthro kitties are, infact, considered catgirls (well, unless they're male... work with me here)... they're just "true-furry" catgirls rather than "intermediate" catgirls.

Brush up on your otakese :-p.

Much have you to learn about the Anime, young padawon

A 'catgirl' is a person who is 90% human, with ears and a tail. That's it. Look up S*P's 'Spay Your Catgirl' poster. That's a catgirl.

An 'Anthro', or 'Furry', is an anthropomorphic animal. They take on far more animalistic characteristics than the 'catgirl'. They generally have fur along their entire body, have kitty-slit eyes, small retractable claws, and a muzzle.

Person_Man
2007-01-18, 02:21 PM
Ha! I thought this thread was going to be about bringing real life physics into D&D, i.e., killing Catgirls. Shows you what I know.

Anywho, there's no reason to overthink this. Just use the Catfolk stats, or if you don't want to buy Races of the Wild (a lousy book, IMO) just use Halfling or Whisper Gnome (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=3) statistics, stick ears and a tail on it, come up with some fluff, and call it a Catgirl.

Gamebird
2007-01-18, 02:29 PM
What's "catgirl" from? Some sort of recurrent anime-genre thing?

Edit: Never mind. Google+Wikipedia ftw.

Divides
2007-01-18, 03:15 PM
Much have you to learn about the Anime, young padawon

A 'catgirl' is a person who is 90% human, with ears and a tail. That's it. Look up S*P's 'Spay Your Catgirl' poster. That's a catgirl.

An 'Anthro', or 'Furry', is an anthropomorphic animal. They take on far more animalistic characteristics than the 'catgirl'. They generally have fur along their entire body, have kitty-slit eyes, small retractable claws, and a muzzle.

It would seem you're making a common fallacy (not all catgirls are anthro's, yes... to say all anthro's arn't catgirls is flawed).

Regardless, I've spent allot of time watching anime, I've spoken with allot of anime fans... almost everone I know will classify both examples as catgirls.

Or, for a slightly less subjective example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgirl

Eastern catgirls are usually depicted as having minimal feline characteristics, such as eyes with vertical pupils, tails, and ears (with different color ear-fur than their hair). Western catgirls are more often portrayed as more animal-like in appearance, with full body fur and claws being their most prominent aspects. Of course, this is only a very general rule of thumb and not true for all cases. For instance, some Japanese examples of catgirls include characters such as Escaflowne's Merle, the Puma Twins from Dominion: Tank Police, or Aisha Clan-Clan from Outlaw Star, who are more feline in mannerisms than they initially appear to be. In some shonen series, however, a (usually villainous) catgirl may be portrayed as the leader of a band of anthropomorphic animals.
(Bold-face, italics, and underlining courtesy of me.)

So HA!

Incidentally, although I don't have an article for it at the moment, I believe you're also off on your deffinition of "furry." Anyone with animal like traits... even behavioral, is considered a furry. Some people use "true furry" to reffer to people that are completely covered in fur as part of their animalistic nature, but the term in general is broader.