PDA

View Full Version : Not allowing others to use weapon

snoosnaa
2013-12-20, 01:06 AM
Hello,

I am in a campaign where it is a persistent world. More like, my characters have a permanent house that they start in upon creation each time I make a new one. Any items from the previous character that are left in the house are still there.

My question is, if I had a really cool weapon, how could I make it so no one else can use it, but still allowing a way for my next character to use it, or figure out how to use it.

Obviously if my character dies, the weapon will be lost at whatever place I die. Would there be a way to make it return to my house?

edit: There is an armor property "called" which doesn't stop others from using it, but can be called to whoever speaks the command word or something. I do not see an equivalent property for weapons.

Thanks in advance

cakellene
2013-12-20, 01:10 AM
Some sort of contingent summon item trap? Have a curse on the item that applies to any not of your bloodline?

Darth Stabber
2013-12-20, 01:11 AM
Hello,

I am in a campaign where it is a persistent world. More like, my characters have a permanent house that they start in upon creation each time I make a new one. Any items from the previous character that are left in the house are still there.

My question is, if I had a really cool weapon, how could I make it so no one else can use it, but still allowing a way for my next character to use it, or figure out how to use it.

Obviously if my character dies, the weapon will be lost at whatever place I die. Would there be a way to make it return to my house?

Thanks in advance

My fighter has a weapon no other party member can use, a mighty (+4) composite longbow, I don't even have to try to stop them.

On a more serious note the way to ensure no one else can use your stuff is traps, and to ensure you stuff gets home a contingent instant summons will handle that problem with ease.

Also antipathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antipathy.htm) can get the job done if everyone is humanoids.

snoosnaa
2013-12-20, 01:15 AM
Nice! Thanks for the fast replies. Any other ideas welcome.

cakellene
2013-12-20, 01:19 AM
My fighter has a weapon no other party member can use, a mighty (+4) composite longbow, I don't even have to try to stop them.

On a more serious note the way to ensure no one else can use your stuff is traps, and to ensure you stuff gets home a contingent instant summons will handle that problem with ease.

Also antipathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antipathy.htm) can get the job done if everyone is humanoids.

According to the link, humanoid isn't a specific enough category for this spell.

Darth Stabber
2013-12-20, 01:25 AM
According to the link, humanoid isn't a specific enough category for this spell.

Yeah you're right, maybe if you ask really nicely your GM will consider "adventurer" a class of "intelligent being" though with some groups that might be stretching the definition.

cakellene
2013-12-20, 01:36 AM
Yeah you're right, maybe if you ask really nicely your GM will consider "adventurer" a class of "intelligent being" though with some groups that might be stretching the definition.

Murder-hobos is probably specific enough though.

jaydubs
2013-12-20, 01:42 AM
This made me think of minecraft. :smalltongue:

cakellene
2013-12-20, 01:43 AM
This made me think of minecraft. :smalltongue:

Never seen Minecraft, what exactly do you mean?

shaikujin
2013-12-20, 01:55 AM
One possible way is to make the weapon an item familiar (it's in the SRD).

Give it the flying property.

Instruct it that if you die, it is to make its way back to the house.

Also, pre-specify that that your descendant/bloodline will be a true inheritor (to invoke the true inheritance rule with item familiars before your character's demise).

jaydubs
2013-12-20, 01:56 AM
Never seen Minecraft, what exactly do you mean?

Minecraft is an open world building game, with optional multiplayer.

In game, you can set it so you respawn at your house everytime you die. But you usually respawn with no items. And other players can just walk into your home and steal your stuff.

So people have developed various mods so that you can still get your stuff back off your corpse when you die. And so that people can't just walk into your house and open all your chests.

On unmodded servers, this is instead accomplished with various traps.

Essentially, the OP is trying to solve the same problems in a d&d setting, except with magic.

hicegetraenk
2013-12-20, 04:16 AM
Is it necessary that you can make your current weapon have these properties or are you just looking for general ways to make that happen (future characters maybe)?

Andezzar
2013-12-20, 08:18 AM
You can restrict the use of magic items to certain classes or alignments. You can also require the user to have a certain skill. (DMG p. 282) Combine those and the number of people who can use the item is severely restricted.

snoosnaa
2013-12-20, 08:38 AM
Is it necessary that you can make your current weapon have these properties or are you just looking for general ways to make that happen (future characters maybe)?

I do currently have a cool weapon, but this would apply to future items as well.

Duke of Urrel
2013-12-20, 11:04 AM
The Antipathy spell is inexpensive to cast. Why not cast it several times on the same item and set it to affect a different specific creature each time?

And another thing: Nobody has yet mentioned the Sequester spell. Why not secretly cast this spell on the item and then store it in an out-of-the-way place?

Lothmar
2013-12-20, 03:49 PM
Hmm this seems like something that you could maybe develop from something like a contingency spell and 'word of recall' marked on the house so that it returns to a weapon rack or trophy plague if it leaves your possession or you die.

How to limit its use im not sure…You could maybe try leaving a note and hope people respect the written words. ~chuckle~

bekeleven
2013-12-20, 08:13 PM
You can restrict the use of magic items to certain classes or alignments. You can also require the user to have a certain skill. (DMG p. 282) Combine those and the number of people who can use the item is severely restricted.

Generally it's considered cheesy to use this to reduce item costs, but I'd allow a player in my games to do it without reducing costs when they create items.

There are a number of permanent/super-high duration spells besides explosive runes. Improved arcane lock, fang trap, fire trap, leomund's trap, sepia snake sigil, watchware...