PDA

View Full Version : barbarian/champion of g question

blelliot
2013-12-20, 01:54 AM
Barbarian DR and CoG DR do not stack correct?

Flickerdart
2013-12-20, 01:57 AM
They do not. DR never stacks.

blelliot
2013-12-20, 02:33 AM
Thank you.

CyberThread
2013-12-20, 02:38 AM
if your doing this as a preplanned build, you can get into COG at barbarian 6, I think it was not meant to stack, due to this fact, barbarian 6/cog 3 would gain DR 2, while barbarian 10 would get DR 2.

So I think it was built in mind that it would not stack, and would be added later down the road, to "catch up" with the barbarian that went pure 10.

An to be honest, COW is barbarian ++ anyways.

ngilop
2013-12-20, 03:05 AM
Hmm i was under the impression that untype sources stacked.. and since DR X/- is untyped.. it always stacks.

DR was completely over valued anyways PrCs giving you DR 1/- as its capstoen (wooo) but other PrC giving you resista (fire) 10 at like 3rd level.. its crazy

I know that DR 5/silver or magic and DR 5/good do not stack you take which ever is higher.. But i will alwasy agree that DR X/- stacks with itself.

Greenish
2013-12-20, 04:04 AM
Damage Reduction isn't a bonus (in the sense of "positive modifier" that the rules use it), so stacking rules don't apply.

TuggyNE
2013-12-20, 04:18 AM
Damage Reduction isn't a bonus (in the sense of "positive modifier" that the rules use it), so stacking rules don't apply.

Well, the general ones don't, anyway. And it has its own rules, which state that "If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation." Nothing about what, if anything, bypasses the sources of DR is relevant for stacking purposes.

However, I believe there are a few sources of DR that stack, though they're hard to find, and neither Barb nor CoG are among their scanty number.

Vertharrad
2013-12-20, 09:24 PM
I would say it stacks, he type of DR and the barbarian feel of both make4 it seem to come from a similar enough source. But I don't think it matters much. And who says that a barb/cog won't go back to barb in a 10/10 split? The Dr not stacking makes no sense in this situation...

TuggyNE
2013-12-21, 12:32 AM
I would say it stacks, he type of DR and the barbarian feel of both make4 it seem to come from a similar enough source. But I don't think it matters much.

"Same source", in D&D stacking, is normally a bad thing, since it tends toward not letting them stack. Not that it matters RAW-wise, I'm just pointing out that the system does not consider "these are very similar!" to be at all a suitable justification for letting them stack, but exactly the reverse.

Coidzor
2013-12-21, 12:43 AM

So how does it work when DR says that it increases extant forms of that DR if it's not stacking? I know they don't interact by default, but sometimes it's stated that they do. :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2013-12-21, 12:53 AM
So how does it work when DR says that it increases extant forms of that DR if it's not stacking? I know they don't interact by default, but sometimes it's stated that they do. :smallconfused:

The same way that "your energy resistance increases by 5" doesn't come into contact with stacking rules - because you're increasing the same number directly, rather than trying to combine two different ones.