PDA

View Full Version : Laurin's Floating Gem Thingies

Greatmoustache
2013-12-20, 06:58 AM
so i don't have much decent intel on psionics (who does, right?) so this may be a psionics 101 questions but here goes
in panel 13 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html) we see one of laurin's gem thingies is missing. how is this possible, did she fail a save to maintain them as blacwing attacked her in the face? or simply it's because she lost so many points?

also how to these gems affect laurin? are they like magic rings that give a wizard additional spell slots, giving the psionic extra points? did the gem pay a major role in laurin's decision to bail, by falling?

(tldr, psiocs, how do they even...)

Kish
2013-12-20, 06:59 AM
Ioun stones are a type of magic item unrelated to psionics.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm

Harbinger
2013-12-20, 07:02 AM
They're ioun stones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones). They float around the users head and provide magic bonuses. Blackwing snatched an orange one, which gives +1 caster level.

Greatmoustache
2013-12-20, 07:06 AM
ah yes i just realized bw's "i got a bauble lol" comment. thanks for the info on stones btw.

so if anyone wants to derail the thread, by guest.

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-26, 12:43 PM
ah yes i just realized bw's "i got a bauble lol" comment. thanks for the info on stones btw.

so if anyone wants to derail the thread, by guest.

I'd rather not derail the thread, so much as add some extra info about Ioun Stones. They were originally lifted wholesale by EGG from the "Dying Earth" stories of Jack Vance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioun_stone#cite_note-27). Over the years the number of Ioun Stones available in D&D has shot up and gone down, with the shapes and colors ultimately stabilizing to the ones we know today. In 4E, Ioun Stones are some of the most expensive Head Slot items in the game, and the name Ioun was taken for the goddess of Magic and Knowledge in the 4E "Points of Light" campaign setting.

Niknokitueu
2013-12-26, 01:47 PM
In 4E, Ioun Stones are some of the most expensive Head Slot items in the game...
Same thing in Pathfinder.

Good reason for this, though, is that there is no limit to how many Ioun Stones you can have floating around your head and they all work at once. (eg normally only allowed 2 rings, one wrist item, one necklace etc.)

They also have a weakness in that they can be captured. As we have seen.

Nice benny to have if you find some, though.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Greatmoustache
2013-12-26, 04:33 PM
actually i've searched for a bit, and come across that they can't be snitched, or be collided with other objects when they were in orbit. in pathfinder that is. i'm not sure what is official and what's not, as i don't have much intel about this whole pathfinding business. but i think they can't be stolen from their orbit, so rich just meh'd on rules again.

not that there's anything wrong with that, i actually like it when he does that.

so, on the table, dices and c-sheets flowing everywhere. can they be stolen or not?

Lord Torath
2013-12-26, 04:55 PM
In AD&D/2nd Edition you could try to snag them from your opponent. Not sure about 3.0/3.5. And, of course, OotS never got upgraded to 4th Edition, so nothing in there applies.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-26, 04:56 PM
so, on the table, dices and c-sheets flowing everywhere. can they be stolen or not?

Well, the d20 SRD includes this bit:

"Thereafter, a stone must be grasped or netted to separate it from its owner."

That sounds like they can be grasped or netted, but it gives no specifics beyond that. They have AC 24 though, probably due to being very small, so you'd need a significant attack bonus and a good roll to snatch one with a touch attack, I'd imagine. Blackwing presumably rolled a natural 20.

Keltest
2013-12-26, 04:58 PM

That sounds like they can be grasped or netted, but it gives no specifics beyond that. They have AC 24 though, probably due to being very small, so you'd need a significant attack bonus and a good roll to snatch one with a touch attack, I'd imagine. Blackwing presumably rolled a natural 20.

One could argue that Blackwing was making an Attack of Opportunity, although how that would apply to a raven snatching an ioun stone is most likely not going to be in the description.

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-26, 05:25 PM
Same thing in Pathfinder.

Good reason for this, though, is that there is no limit to how many Ioun Stones you can have floating around your head and they all work at once. (eg normally only allowed 2 rings, one wrist item, one necklace etc.)

They also have a weakness in that they can be captured. As we have seen.

Nice benny to have if you find some, though.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

In 3.X and Pathfinder, Ioun Stones are so valuable because they don't take up a body slot. In 4E they count as a Head Slot Item and you can't "wear" more than one at a time. :smallannoyed:

actually i've searched for a bit, and come across that they can't be snitched, or be collided with other objects when they were in orbit. in pathfinder that is. i'm not sure what is official and what's not, as i don't have much intel about this whole pathfinding business. but i think they can't be stolen from their orbit, so rich just meh'd on rules again.

not that there's anything wrong with that, i actually like it when he does that.

I would imagine a Disarm check or a Sleight of Hand skill check might allow someone to relieve an enemy of one of their Ioun Stones in 3.X or Pathfinder, while a Thievery check could do the same in 4E.

Seward
2013-12-27, 02:46 PM

Blackwing's the familiar of a 15-16th level caster. AC24 isn't THAT bad.

I'm in the camp of "Vi is L16" based on spells used and assuming V isn't bluffing and didn't get a spell reset with the 20 minute time-out.

So assuming V is level 16, that gives Blackwing a BAB of 8.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/raven.htm

The default raven has weapon finesse, is size tiny (+2) and dex 15 (another +2). So blackwing's attack mod is +12

It's about a 45% shot, but if Blackwing was charging, then it's a 55% chance of snagging a bauble. Maybe higher if "high ground" bonus applies. Of course we see Blackwing slashing at Lauren's face, so maybe the charge attack was for the 1 point of damage (1d2-5) and there was a second round where Blackwing got its bauble snatch.

I actually like the idea of an AOO. Blackwing does so little damage the concentration check for taking 1 point of damage is less than that to "psion defensively". So instead of attacking, Blackwing goes for the bauble and rolls a 12+ (or maybe 11+ with "high ground")

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-27, 03:25 PM
Blackwing's the familiar of a 15-16th level caster. AC24 isn't THAT bad.

I'm in the camp of "Vi is L16" based on spells used and assuming V isn't bluffing and didn't get a spell reset with the 20 minute time-out.

So assuming V is level 16, that gives Blackwing a BAB of 8.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/raven.htm

The default raven has weapon finesse, is size tiny (+2) and dex 15 (another +2). So blackwing's attack mod is +12

It's about a 45% shot, but if Blackwing was charging, then it's a 55% chance of snagging a bauble. Maybe higher if "high ground" bonus applies. Of course we see Blackwing slashing at Lauren's face, so maybe the charge attack was for the 1 point of damage (1d2-5) and there was a second round where Blackwing got its bauble snatch.

I actually like the idea of an AOO. Blackwing does so little damage the concentration check for taking 1 point of damage is less than that to "psion defensively". So instead of attacking, Blackwing goes for the bauble and rolls a 12+ (or maybe 11+ with "high ground")

Quite easy to grab, actually.