PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Partial Pacifist Paladin?

Aldhissla
2013-12-20, 11:41 AM
Hello again. Another off-the-beaten-trail concept from me. The title mostly says it all; I am looking to build--with feats and such from Pathfinder included--a diplomatic Half-Elf Paladin of Sarenrae or her equivalent, who holds tightly to a vow of nonlethal pacifism, without slipping down the back end of Tier 5 into "living novelty item" status.

Thus far, I know that I would be taking Blade of Mercy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/blade-of-mercy-goddess-of-dawn) from the SRD and using either a scimitar or possibly falchion. I also imagine I'd need two or three of the Divine or Exalted feats from BoED to flesh out the subdual damage. But beyond that, I am not having much luck.

Has anyone else fiddled with pacifism in D&D in the past, and would like to share their findings?

Spore
2013-12-20, 12:09 PM
Redeemer (Paladin)

As most half-orcs are outcasts, a half-orc paladin recognizes that often those who are monstrous are not necessarily evil and that sometimes even those who are evil became that way because of circumstances and misfortune. Some half-orc paladins take up these misunderstood creatures as their cause, standing up for the monstrous creatures and, when possible, leading them to the light. These paladins are called redeemers. A redeemer has the following class features.

Merciful Smite (Su): At 1st level, when a redeemer chooses to smite a creature, she can have all of her attacks against the target deal nonlethal damage. She does not take the normal –4 attack roll penalty for using a lethal weapon to deal nonlethal damage. She cannot use this ability to deal nonlethal damage to outsiders with the evil subtype, evil-aligned dragons, or undead creatures (these creatures take lethal damage from her smite). This otherwise works like and replaces the standard paladin's smite evil.

Monstrous Rapport (Ex): At 1st level, redeemers gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks to influence creatures who are commonly considered monstrous. This includes but is not limited to "monstrous" races such as goblins and orcs, monstrous humanoids, and other intelligent non-humanoid monsters. This ability replaces detect evil.

Pact of Peace (Sp): At 8th level, a redeemer can force a defeated creature to accept a binding pact of peace as a condition of its surrender, as if using lesser geas. Her caster level for this ability is equal to her paladin level. Rather than assigning a mission or task, the redeemer gives the creature a simple set of prohibitions to protect others. Example geas include "Leave this city and do not return" or "Do not attack caravans." The prohibition must be against an area no larger than 300 square miles or one specific group of people (such as a tribe or citizens of a particular city). This ability lasts 1 month per paladin level. This replaces aura of resolve.

Aura of Mercy (Su): At 11th level, a redeemer can expend two uses of her merciful smite ability to grant the merciful smite ability to all allies within 10 feet, using her bonuses. Allies must use this merciful smite ability by the start of the paladin's next turn and the bonuses last for 1 minute. Using this ability is a free action. Evil creatures gain no benefit from this ability. This replaces aura of justice.

Associates: A redeemer may ally with an evil creature as long as she feels the creature is capable of redemption. A redeemer may accept henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are not lawful good provided they demonstrate they are willing to follow her and seek betterment under her tutelage.

Source: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/coreRaces/halfOrcs.html

Tranquil Guardian (Paladin)

A tranquil guardian is a missionary of peace and tranquility, a soothing voice of succor in a violent and dangerous world. A tranquil guardian gains the following class features.

Touch of Serenity (Su): At 1st level, a tranquil guardian gains Touch of Serenity as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. At 6th level, and every six levels thereafter, the duration of a tranquil guardian's Touch of Serenity increases by 1 round. Each round on its turn, the target may attempt a new Will save to end the effect. The duration does not stack; only the longest remaining duration applies. This ability replaces smite evil.

Serene Strike (Su): At 3rd level, when a tranquil guardian confirms a critical hit, she may convert all damage from her attack to nonlethal damage, and when she does, she can activate Touch of Serenity through her weapon or unarmed strike. Using serene strike is a free action. This ability replaces aura of courage.

Divine Bond (Su): A tranquil guardian who chooses a weapon as her divine bond may only increase her weapon's enhancement bonus or add the following properties to her weapon: conductive, defending, disruptive, grayflame , or merciful.

Aura of Calm (Su): At 8th level, a tranquil guardian is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities with the emotion descriptor, as well as all fear effects. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against these effects.

This ability functions only while the tranquil guardian is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead. This ability replaces aura of resolve.

Waves of Peace (Su): At 11th level, a tranquil guardian may expend 2 uses of her Touch of Serenity to affect each opponent within 5 feet of her with that effect. She does not need to touch the creature for the effect to take hold. This ability replaces aura of justice.

Apostle of Peace (Su): At 20th level, a tranquil guardian's DR increases to 10/evil, and whenever she channels positive energy or uses lay on hands to heal, she heals the maximum possible amount. In addition, any creature struck by her Touch of Serenity, even if it saves, must make an additional Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 her tranquil guardian level + her Charisma modifier) the next time it tries to attack. If it fails this save, the attack (including spells or special abilities) automatically fails. This ability replaces holy champion.

Source: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/featuredRaces/aasimars.html

Just waive the racial prerequisite.

Aldhissla
2013-12-20, 12:17 PM
Neat stuff, I don't know how I forgot about the Half-Orc variant and completely missed the Aasimar one.

Although I have always felt that core paladins should be able to more freely associate by default, so long as it's in pursuit of greater good or lesser evil.

Spore
2013-12-20, 11:25 PM
Although I have always felt that core paladins should be able to more freely associate by default, so long as it's in pursuit of greater good or lesser evil.

I do not see any rules telling you to be a racist, lawful stupid Paladin of the Annoyance philosophy. It's simple really. I am the third Paladin in our groups consisting of 5 players and do not feel like I have to be Sir Hypocritic McSmite.

Since I see the Paladin as just a member of a faction as well as a good character, I sense that killing an evil creature is just as bad as being one myself. Murderhoboism and creating permanent undead is not okay for my paladins, everything else is subject to individual examination.

And this is why I didn't play a Paladin under our very strict DM that would've taken my powers away if I did work against authority twice (not realizing that the characters' own principles are what make him divine, not an arbitrary law enforcer).

Aldhissla
2013-12-20, 11:35 PM
I was referring to the part of the Code of Conduct that in Pathfinder reads that,

"While she may adventure with good or neutral allies, a paladin avoids working with evil characters or with anyone who consistently offends her moral code. Under exceptional circumstances, a paladin can ally with evil associates, but only to defeat what she believes to be a greater evil."

Which, now that I think about it, is actually a step up from the original 3.5E rule, which does not include the "exceptional circumstances" stipulation at all.

But I wasn't advocating for or implying that Lawful Stupid paladins were the norm. Just that they're easier to get with some of the RAW.

F.H. Zebedee
2013-12-21, 12:10 AM
Brought this to mind for me:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zntPGbkzvpE/T2D8yiRLERI/AAAAAAAAACw/WNAMXu7aB2Y/s1600/SH-Figuarts-Rurouni-Kenshin_1325175575.jpg
;)

As for other pacifist advice? Use Rope is your friend. If you can get the drop on somebody, it can subvert entire encounters, and can keep enemies from getting back up to menace you again.

What's your party composition? You implied three paladins, which is peculiar, so I'm wondering what tools you have to work with.

(Love the character concept, btw)

Totema
2013-12-21, 01:39 AM
I like the concept of a paladin who feels compelled to perform pre-battle rites before combat - some of which take so long that the threat is long gone before he's finished. :smalltongue:

Aldhissla
2013-12-21, 10:53 AM
I believe Sporeegg is the one who mentioned three paladins in an existing group- I am slapping the pacifist together as a purely mental exercise at the moment. Although I am interesting in hearing more about that story. Are you the latest paladin, or are there three different people trying to find their niche at the same time right now?

Spore
2013-12-21, 01:10 PM
I believe Sporeegg is the one who mentioned three paladins in an existing group- I am slapping the pacifist together as a purely mental exercise at the moment. Although I am interesting in hearing more about that story. Are you the latest paladin, or are there three different people trying to find their niche at the same time right now?

No. Three different rounds, it's the same group of players though. I just said this incorrectly. It's just an example on the ways a Paladin CAN be played.

I prefer liberal to literal rules interpretation.

Aldhissla
2013-12-21, 01:41 PM
Ah, I see.

Same here on the liberal interpretations, especially when it's for the sake of a less advantaged character. Not that I'll ever been in the DM position to enact those, but oh well.

Anyway, I suppose my question is wrapped up; it'd just be a matter of me deciding which feats when for my paladin, and whether to go with out-of-combat Diplomacy or in-combat Intimidate to avoid bloodshed.

Although now I'm wondering if a primary healer paladin would be possible...

Spore
2013-12-21, 04:34 PM
Although now I'm wondering if a primary healer paladin would be possible...

Yes, it is possible. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365)