PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing AC and Passive Regen (with lots of restrictions)

Xintas
2013-12-20, 12:20 PM
Alright, this is going to be very specific, but I need to reward the tenacity and skill of my players.

They saved an Elven Paladin from ludicrously unlikely circumstances, and I promised them that if they did, he could become an NPC. I want to make him SUPER tanky.

Restrictions: 3.5 non campaign specific books, must be an Elf, must be at least 4 levels of Paladin and no higher than ECL 6.

I want this guy to stand in combat forever and be able to take a beating. He is not a tripper or a damage dealer or a healer. He just takes ridiculous amounts of attacks and abuse without dying.

SowZ
2013-12-20, 12:53 PM
Alright, this is going to be very specific, but I need to reward the tenacity and skill of my players.

They saved an Elven Paladin from ludicrously unlikely circumstances, and I promised them that if they did, he could become an NPC. I want to make him SUPER tanky.

Restrictions: 3.5 non campaign specific books, must be an Elf, must be at least 4 levels of Paladin and no higher than ECL 6.

I want this guy to stand in combat forever and be able to take a beating. He is not a tripper or a damage dealer or a healer. He just takes ridiculous amounts of attacks and abuse without dying.

As a tank, he should have good saves, (easy for a Pally,) a miss chance, good AC, quite a bit of mobility, (can be achieved via mounted combat,) preferably a reach weapon. The enemy needs a reason to attack him, after all. You have can have health regen and DR if you want, but it isn't too important.

Here's the real question. Are there any tanks and fighter types already? If so, we want to make sure this guy is substantially less damaging and less overall powerful.

Xintas
2013-12-20, 01:16 PM
They are part of a quasi revolutionary army. They are essentially an independent team, and this guy is going to be the captain of their veteran squad, so you do not need to worry about him competing with anyone. I only put in the things he does not have to be because I don't want people to try to balance AC or saves versus damage output or trip attempts.

The enemy wants this guy dead because he is a symbol and they will attack him anyway. He just needs to take it all and survive.

SowZ
2013-12-20, 01:23 PM
Miss chance and high HP are his best defense, then.

Might want to make Charisma his best stat and take the Divine Shield feat. High AC and high saves. Dip a level in Sanctified One and rule that whatever diety your Paladin worships gets Fast Healing like Ehlonna does.

The feat Bladeproof Skin gives him DR 3/Bludgeoning.

Andezzar
2013-12-20, 01:31 PM

I want this guy to stand in combat forever and be able to take a beating. He is not a tripper or a damage dealer or a healer. He just takes ridiculous amounts of attacks and abuse without dying.Paladin 4/Crusader 2+
Take some of the divine feats that let you do better things with your turn undead attempts.

Since the character is an Elf anyways, go into eternal blade at ECL 11.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-20, 01:31 PM
If all you want is AC and HP regen you probably want at least 1 level of Crusader.
Make it Paladin 5/Crusader 1, Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Divine Shield as feats, take Crusader's Strike, Stone Bones and Martial Spirit Stance and stick the guy in Mithril Full Plate with a Tower Shield.

26 +cha AC, self healing and DR 5/adamantine (sometimes). Spend his WBL on a Belt of Healing (MIC) and armor and shield enhancement bonus.
Not exactly high-op but not too shabby for level 6.