PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4e] Pawns of Power (IC)

Drakeburn
2013-12-20, 05:11 PM
Under the cover of the stormy night, you follow Captain Skellion's instructions to go to a small cave in the beach, and wait for his ship, the Wet Mercenary, to pick you up. Surprisingly, you start to notice that there are others at the same rendezvous point, and coming to the spot where Skellion is supposed to pick you up.

Ramsus
2014-01-05, 02:25 AM
Suddenly there is the overlapping sounds of something tearing and the crackle of flames as a large puff of smoke appears and a ball of tiefling is flung out. The tiefling flies forward several feet, hits the ground bottom first, bounces forward a couple feet, hits the ground bottom first again, and bounces just enough to flip over so that it lands face first into the sand where it remains splayed out for a few moments.

Then it rolls itself backwards into a sitting position, sputters the sand out of its mouth, and grumbles to itself, "That castle was practically a ruins already. And how was I supposed to know that ritual would need all hundred and one souls to stay pure after it had been completed?"

Vesth
2014-01-05, 07:09 AM
A figure in red robes stood silent and watchful as it observed the others at the rendezvous point. It was clear that this person did not trust any of them. As it watched the tiefling tumble, it pulled back its hood to reveal the scaly visage of a rust-coloured Dragonborn with a scar across his right eye. He glared at the tiefling with a mixture of disdain and disbelief.

"Who brought this...disgusting pet here?" He grumbled, his voice powerful and deep, clearly unimpressed by the show of acrobatics. "Captain Skellion did not tell me there would be lesser creatures accompanying me on my journey. If this is some sort of trap, I'll be happy to end your miserable lives." Taking his eyes off the tiefling, he eyed each passenger in turn, glaring with blood-red eyes.

Drakeburn
2014-01-05, 11:16 AM
In the distance, you could make out a figure in the fog, in the shape of a ship. It sounds out two dings from a ship bell, and after a while of silence, you notice a wide raft float out to the shore, attached to a rope that disappears into the foggy sea.

Exactly as Captain Skellion said there would be.

allonym
2014-01-05, 01:16 PM
Mari looks around at the others in the cave, smiling in a friendly fashion, without making eye contact or speaking. The cave is cold and damp, and her dull blue traveller's robes were soaked by the journey to the rendezvous, but she still wipes her brow as though it were a summer's day. Slouched and withdrawn, she seems very small and somewhat vulnerable, unarmed but for a freshly-cut branch she clutches as a walking-stick.

When the raft arrives, she immediately sets off for it without a word, untroubled by the howling wind and rain. A little clumsy on her feet, she nevertheless shuffles at a pretty steady pace. She hops from the beach onto the raft, wobbles then steadies herself, turns to face the shore, and sits, cross-legged, in the very centre of the raft with a serene smile.

tbergman92
2014-01-05, 02:15 PM
Perrin snorts in laughter as the tiefling tumbles across the ground. He'd needed a laugh lately, and the creature was apparently willing to provide one. He'd appreciate that as they crossed into the city--he'd always liked humorous people.

Face changing into a hard expression as the dragonborn spoke, the tall, brawny man stood slowly from his crouch against the cave wall and watched the raft approach. Shifting slightly to get his ornate scale armor to settle more comfortably, he strides to the raft, ignoring the wind and rain flying into his face. As he walked, he lifted his sword a few inches to check that it was clear in the scabbard, before sliding it back down. Just in case. I imagine these others have similar reasons to my own for sneaking in to this city, and i'd rather not be caught entirely unprepared.

Stepping on to the raft, he took up a position at the edge of the raft nearest to the rope's length running back toward the ship. Reaching over his shoulder, he made sure he could easily grab his shield, as well, should it become necessary for him to abandon Captain Skellion's ship or raft.

Vesth
2014-01-05, 05:53 PM
The dragonborn scowled deeply as the rest ignored him and climbed the raft. They would pay, he decided, when he has taken his rightful place amongst the true rulers of the realm. I would see them burn and beg for mercy, the whole lot of them.

As he reluctantly climbed aboard the raft, his staff stabilizing himself, he looked at the tiefling.

"You. Who is your master, and what he sent you here to do?" he said, clearly believing the fact that the tiefling is a slave or a pet of sorts.

Ramsus
2014-01-05, 06:13 PM
The tiefling looks over at the dragonborn and thinks very hard about responding with "Your mother!", but realizes that zhe doesn't know anything about this situation zhe finds zimself in or who zhe is talking to. Instead zhe responds, "Well, I was sent here to not be anywhere in the Hells and thus I wouldn't have a 'master' anymore, not that I ever recall bowing n' scraping to anyone in the first place. What's it to you anyway fishman? And where are they going?"

As zhe speaks zhe raises up into a somewhat crouched position, positioning zhis spear in case the situation calls for stabbing. Or if stabbing would just be generally entertaining.

Vesth
2014-01-05, 07:00 PM
"Fishman? Fishman? You dare call ME a FISHMAN?!" He roared, and a burst of bright flame erupted from his mouth, spewing into the cool air. "My blood is that of a dragon, and you would do well to remember that."

He tugged the rope once, twice, thrice, calling for it to be pulled in. "Demonspawn, I respect your lineage, but your weakness is all too certain. Too human." he said the last word is disgust, almost spitting it out.

allonym
2014-01-05, 07:12 PM
With her stick laid across her knees, Mari finally speaks, just loud enough to be audible over the storm. "We should not fight, nor squabble. If nothing else, we shall be shipmates for the voyage. We must be able to trust one another. I shall make friends on this trip. So please, say sorry for your disrespect towards one another's lineage." She pauses for a moment. "It must be nice to have a lineage worth respecting." She pulls back her hood, apparently unconcerned about the rain, and runs her hands through her short, scruffy hair, then reaches into her pack and pulls out a waterskin, taking a drink from it. "Is anyone thirsty?"

Ramsus
2014-01-05, 07:24 PM
The tiefling softly claps politely (or perhaps mockingly?) at the fire display and is about to say something when Mari speaks up. Then, clearly distracted, zhe quickly scrambles over to the boat and hops on next to Mari and says, "That's right. My lineage is most respectamabible! How good of you to know your place and offer up a sacrifice!" and then zhe snatches the offered waterskin and takes a hearty swig of it, resulting in water running down zhis chin. Then suddenly zhe stops and thrusts the waterskin back at Mari and demands, "What foul trickery is this? These spirits are completely watered down!"

allonym
2014-01-05, 07:30 PM
Seeming genuinely hurt, Mari picks up the waterskin and mumbles, "I was just trying to be friendly. I don't drink liquor. I just thought you might be thirsty..." As though for emphasis, she wipes her brow again, then pulls her hood back up.

Drakeburn
2014-01-05, 07:32 PM
Suddenly, the rope tightens, pulling the raft into the fog. After a short time, the raft hits the edge of what appears to be the ship.
"All of you down there! Here comes the rope ladder!" Captain Skellion's voice yelled from above.
A rope ladder is thrown off from above and fall in front of you.
"Climb aboard then! We don't have all night!"

Gavran
2014-01-05, 07:54 PM
Helcarion

A tall, slender shape stands near the captain, gazing down at the newcomers. Moonlight illuminates his glacially-toned attire, and his eyes, one silver and one wrong shine in its lambent glow. All can see (if not recognize) the mark of the Fomorians marring his otherwise perfect symmetry. He speaks in measured tones, his words enunciated carefully but completely devoid of warmth.

"Strident creatures, we could hear your clamoring from here. Surely you realize that attracting attention is not in our best interest?" He turns to face the captain, deliberately forcing the group to climb aboard before they can respond. "Is this all of them, Skellion? We have tarried too long already."

Vesth
2014-01-05, 08:25 PM
"Oh. An elf. How quaint." Upon climbing aboard the ship, he straightened his robes and inspected his staff for damages. "Captain. I was not told that I'll be traveling with a wandering circus. I do not want any more surprises, is that understood? Surprises can get a man killed." He smiled thinly at that, revealing sharp, pointy teeth.

allonym
2014-01-05, 08:50 PM
Mari artlessly scrambles up the rope ladder, and in doing so, drops her walking stick. She doesn't seem to notice it fall. When she reaches the deck, she stumbles off to one side and leans against the guardrail. Looking around, she smiles in a friendly way, and speaks. "Thankyou, Captain, for passage and your punctuality." Turning to Helcarion, but keeping her gaze lowered, she says, a little sheepishly, "Sorry if I was being too noisy", apparently unaware that her own, quiet voice was probably not among those audible from the deck. "Once everyone else gets on deck, we should introduce ourselves."

Gavran
2014-01-05, 09:14 PM
Helcarion

"That's Eladrin, hatchling. I am Helcarion of Winter, though perhaps I should expect such a flawed perspective from your kind. Allow me to explain it simply to you: my people are as far removed from elves as you are from your moderately successful ancestors. Quaint, the beast says. Yes, it is very quaint how lesser beings imagine similarities to their betters. Still... there is little gain in being quarrelsome. Surprises and delays aside, this ship can serve yet."

Acknowledging the human girl, he addresses all the new arrivals. "Your slight is small enough, and made in ignorance. Subtlety was one of the reasons I chose this vessel and I was... annoyed. Secrecy is very important to my purposes. Now that you all know that, we should be clear of future problems. I'm certain all of our goals will be better met if we make an effort not to undermine them without reason."

Drakeburn
2014-01-05, 09:15 PM
"I have every right to apologize for the minor inconvenience." The captain answered with a nod.
"But since I have room in my 'cargo' room, I figured it would be alright if I smuggled more than one passenger."
"As you all know, I'm your host, Captain Skellion...."

Ramsus
2014-01-05, 09:15 PM
The tiefling climbing up behind Mari gets bonked on the head with her stick and takes the extra effort to drop back down a foot to pick it up and throw it at her (not especially hard though) before resuming zhis climb up.

The tiefling nods hello to the captain who zhe's never met or heard of before as if zhe had and was supposed to be here.

Vesth
2014-01-05, 09:51 PM
Helcarion

"That's Eladrin, hatchling. I am Helcarion of Winter, though perhaps I should expect such a flawed perspective from your kind. Allow me to explain it simply to you: my people are as far removed from elves as you are from your moderately successful ancestors.

"I don't see what's the problem, elf, since my father was a dragon. Unlike most of my kin, my 'ancestor' is my parent. And my journey here is to seek him out. I have thus slain my human mother, and would easily do the same to elves."

"Hear me well! I am Belendithas, Bel for short. I am the son of the dragon Scraven and the human Rose. My father made love to my mother in the guise of another human. Are there any other questions?"

Gavran
2014-01-05, 10:15 PM
Helcarion

"Mm. Seek him out? My apologies then, clearly I was mistaken and your father is very close with his half-blooded bastard. Still, if acceptance from your parent is all you desire... we could perhaps bargain..." He smiles coolly. "If not, your parentage is of little interest to me."

allonym
2014-01-05, 10:28 PM
Mari sighs, but seeing that introductions have begun, takes the opportunity to speak. "I thought we had finished insulting one another's bloodlines on the raft. I am Mari, priestess and pilgrim. Well met. If anyone needs healing, I can offer my skills. I look forward to getting to know you." With a small smile, but keeping her gaze downcast, she continues, "I would be very grateful if my travelling companions could try to get along. Once we have made introductions, I would like to stow my belongings. Um, does anyone happen to have a spare walking stick or staff?"

Ramsus
2014-01-05, 10:48 PM
The tiefling points out to Mari the walking stick (that had apparently missed her) sitting on the deck. "If anyone cares, I'm also not the watered down version of my halfblood race. Though for your information lizardguy, my father wasn't human. I don't know what he was, but I know for sure I have not a drop of human blood in me." The tiefling pauses to consider. "Er. Well, at least none started there. Anyhow, yeah, found that out the hard way. And believe me, you don't want to know what the hard way is."

Zhe then looks at Mari and says, "Oh we're also boasting about our abilities? Well then...material plane...ites." Zhe briefly drops down to a mumble to say to zhimself, "What's the derogatory term for people from this plane anyway?" then continues, "You would be well warned to know that mine is the power wield thought and emotion as a weapon as I do this spear! Uh... and I can use my psionic powers to heal too if I really have to I guess."

Vesth
2014-01-05, 11:05 PM
Bel's expression darkens. "If my father will not accept me, I will just best him in combat. I'll kill him if I have to."

He turns to Mari. "Mari, is it? When we get off this boat, I may have use for your skills. My specialty lies in reducing things to a smoking ruin, and I rather not get waylaid by an errant blow."

tbergman92
2014-01-06, 02:07 AM
Mentally kicking himself for getting involved with a bunch of posturing fools, Perrin spoke his piece after clambering onto the ship.

"My name is Perrin Aybara." Perrin paused briefly, touching the lightning shaped dragonmark on his face and thinking, of House Manetheren, to himself as he spoke Aybara aloud.

"My specialty is protection. Hurting people when they hurt my associates, generally, with some other psionic abilities that allow me to make it difficult for others to injure my allies. Do you all think we could put our respective egos to the side some, just to give us all a greater chance of making it to the city alive and undetected? I, personally, would appreciate it. I'm heading to this port seeking the kind of men who wish to avoid the law, and I imagine they'd not appreciate it if I bring it down on them."

Turning to Mari, he expressed a similar interest to the dragonborn, "I, too, would appreciate someone of your ability by my side to help keep my family and my associates alive. My family is quite wealthy, and would pay you well should you join our cause."

Ramsus
2014-01-06, 03:03 AM
The tiefling turned zhis gaze on the eladrin waiting for him to introduce himself and wondering if he'd also say how much he wanted Mari's aid.

Gavran
2014-01-06, 03:43 AM
Helcarion

Raising his eyebrow at the tiefling's expectant gaze the eladrin magician replies to Perrin. "Twice repeated, I am Helcarion of Winter's Court, subject of the Queen of Air and Darkness. One must observe these little rituals and meet expectations, you know. I am here per the desires of Her Court. That is all you need to know, though in truth I have little reason not to cooperate so long as it suits my goals. I feel at this rate we shall probably have more... surprises to face before this journey ends. My considerable study of the arcane shall doubtless become of use to some of you in that time, and at the moment I am willing to offer it in exchange for cooperation while our endeavors remain mutual. Is that agreeable?"

Ramsus
2014-01-06, 04:00 AM
"What endeavors would those be anyway? Aside from the scaley one. We know his goal already." the tiefling asked curiously, as zhe really had no clue what these folks were up to and if it would be of any interest to zhim.

Vesth
2014-01-06, 08:35 AM
"He endeavors to be a slave, and probably lives to lick the boots of this Queen." Bel leaned against the side of the ship, arms crossed in front of him. He wondered briefly what was taking the Captain so long. They should be well on their way by now.

"What about you, little Demonspawn? You ask about us, what what brings you to sneak into a city? Is it about the souls you mentioned about back on shore?" It's clear he respects the Tiefling a little more when it mentioned not having any human blood.

allonym
2014-01-06, 09:10 AM
Mari looks down at the tiefling's indication and picks up her stick. "Thankyou, sir. You know, we still have no name to call you by." Apparently unconcerned with waiting for a reply, she turns to the rest of the group. "As for your requests, I would like any opportunity to do my holy work, but for now I think we should see about this voyage before making plans. Getting into the city is my concern right now." She then turns back to the tiefling, expectantly, as though she had never turned away.

tbergman92
2014-01-06, 11:34 AM
Perrin turned toward the Winter Court Eladrin, and nodded in agreement.

"That is amenable to me. I'm willing to work in concert, until and unless our goals come to be at odds. That being said, unless the Winter Court has an opinion on the the "proper" structure of the royalty and nobility of the mortal realms, I doubt our goals will ever truly be at odds." Perrin knew little of the Winter Court's interests, but knew that the fey rarely cared much for the mortal races and their concerns.

Ramsus
2014-01-06, 01:47 PM
"Oh, met plenty of that sort before. Nothing wrong with making that choice I guess. Someone needs to be the long suffering minion if a master is going to be able to get any rest between doing the important things and eating all the cake before I can steal even a slice, blast it. Uh..." the tiefling responds and stops realizing zhe slid off into a tangent.

Zhe looks confused at the second question and replies, "What? We're going to a city huh? I wonder just how much of an inferior disappointment it will be compared to my home, the I am obligated to say best, city of Dis?"

Continuing zhe says, "No no, I had my fun with the souls already and well... yeah that didn't turn out so well what with me being booted out here."

When Mari speaks zhe replies, "Well calling me demonspawn or deamon'yin or such is hardly new to me. I'm also called Nistivex'yis a lot." Zhe looks to Bel and says, "Though to be clear I'm not the spawn of a demon, mom's a devil. A big bad oh ever so important one who is oh so busy with the blah blah and blahdy blah, but still has enough time to tell you off for sneaking into the treasury for a nap apparently." Then zhe realizes zhe'd gone off on another tangent and switches topics and looks to Perrin, "You work in a concert? I don't see your instrument. Are you some kind of bardic dancer?" Zhe then nods to zhimself as if surely this must be the case and looks Perrin over with an appraising eye.

Vesth
2014-01-07, 12:31 AM
"I tire of this needless conversation." Bel muttered. He turns to the captain. "Captain Skellion, when will we reach our destination? I paid good coin for this, and will not tolerate delays."

tbergman92
2014-01-07, 01:58 AM
Beginning to explain to Nistivex'yis what he had meant, Perrin stopped as the dragonborn spoke up requesting silence. Part of him wanted to speak purely to irritate the creature, but his good sense won out. The creature had a point, however annoyingly delivered--too much sound could have the unintended consequence of the group's discovery--something he couldn't afford. He had to find allies to fight against the monarchy--if he didn't find them soon, something unimaginably terrible could happen--

--His brother might actually succeed with his political methodology first. Matt would be insufferable if he beat Perrin to the punch, and Perrin refused to allow that to happen. If only he could find some worthy associates who were willing to do pretty much anything for enough gold...He continued to think on the issue in silence as he waited for the captain's reply to Bel's question.

Drakeburn
2014-01-07, 11:10 AM
"About time." Captain Skellion muttered under his breath.
"Everyone get this ship moving!" He yells as he turns to his crew.
Immediately the crew works furiously to get the ship moving.
"As for my 'guests' here, I'll lead you to where you'll be staying for the moment." He says, gesturing for them to follow him down into the ship.

allonym
2014-01-07, 11:44 AM
With a happy smile, Mari immediately follows the captain, stumbling a few times as she walks - her clumsiness only exacerbated by her lack of sea legs. As they walk, she asks a question of the captain, needing to repeat herself a few times as her voice is lost in the storm.
"Is there somewhere private I could use to pray and be by myself when needed, captain? I wouldn't need much room. Sorry to be a bother."

Gavran
2014-01-07, 12:01 PM
Helcarion

"Well enough, then" comments Helcarion as his long strides carry him close behind the captain. "Is there any chance at all we will all be fortunate enough to have separate quarters?"

Drakeburn
2014-01-07, 01:40 PM
"I'm afraid you're gonna have to settle sharing the same space." Captain Skellion sighed as he stopped at what appears to be the cargo room, with some boxes and barrels of supplies. He lifts open the lid of one of the boxes, revealing a bunch of smelly fish. Then takes them out, revealing that it was a tray of fish, and that it was hiding a secret room below.
"I know it is dark, smelly, and kind of small down there, but it'll have to do. I have a nicer secret room in my quarters, but that is going to cost you extra." He let out a big grin as he said the last part.

Ramsus
2014-01-07, 02:24 PM
The tiefling smirks and says in a faux-demure fashion, "But sir, this one has no coin, whatever could this one offer by way of payment?" and then gives an impish grin, clearly quite amused with zhimself.

allonym
2014-01-07, 03:28 PM
Peering inside, Mari shrugs at the captain's comment. "Oh, that looks perfectly reasonable. I have no additional coin to pay for better quarters anyway, and I am certain I can make some sort of arrangement for my worship. Thankyou."

Drakeburn
2014-01-07, 03:56 PM
"Well, actually..." Captain Skellion stares upward as he scratches his black goatee, lost in a moment of thought. Then he shakes his head, either disagreeing with his thoughts or snapping out of it.
"Nah, I don't think you folks have what it takes for what I have in mind."

Vesth
2014-01-07, 04:59 PM
Bel's eyes narrowed. "And what exactly do you have in mind?" he said, voice low and dangerous. He's furious, but whether it is because the captain was treating him as a weakling, or it seems like the captain is trying to goad him on into doing something he couldn't tell himself. He briefing entertained the idea of roasting the captain whole, but it would leave them stranded out in the ocean.

Gavran
2014-01-08, 09:39 AM
Helcarion

"Our bargain, Captain, was for secret passage into the city. Whether in this dank pit or elsewhere on your ship matters not, but you will not attempt to demand more from us in exchange for what you have already promised. If you seek another deal, then speak it, though I can assure you my price will be very dear indeed, and my patience wears thin." The eladrin eyes the man as if evaluating him for hidden worth.

allonym
2014-01-08, 01:34 PM
Mari looks up from the dank secret room and looks off to one side, as though contemplating. After a moment, she, too responds: "I would like to hear what you need done. I have no need for better quarters, but if my fellow passengers were in another compartment, I could pray here instead. Also, I would like to serve for the pleasure of it." She then looks off to the side again.

tbergman92
2014-01-09, 01:57 AM
Perrin replied, curiosity piqued by the Captain's words--even though he imagined the words were chosen for that very purpose. "I need no physical comforts, but depending on what you need done, I may join in for the exercise. And though I don't need any amenities, I wouldn't refuse them either. What do you need done?"

Honestly, Perrin was just getting a bit annoyed with the racial posturing and wanted something to distract him for a bit. And anyway, he usually did his best thinking while working.

Drakeburn
2014-01-12, 10:57 AM
"You see, I have this privateer who has been hunting me down for quite a while. He actually has his own keep on a small island near our destination. He's been a thorn in my side for too long. Making my business harder than it needs to be. Killing him off would be a benefit to all of us, wouldn't you agree?" Captain Skellion says to the passengers.

Vesth
2014-01-12, 11:11 AM
"Who is this privateer? A mere human?" Bel snorts and leans dangerously close to the Captain. Several small sparks fly from the staff. "My coin is to get us into port, not complete tasks for you. Unless this privateer holds information about the dragon Scraven, I don't see any need in helping you."

allonym
2014-01-12, 01:06 PM
Mari raises her hands at Bel's outburst. "Now, friend, there's no need for anger. And I don't see what being a human has to do with it. If nothing else, the gratitude of a ship's captain is a fine reward...and I, for one, would like to tackle a privateer. Exactly the sort of person this world needs fewer of." An unpleasant smile spreads across her face, at odds with her downturned, hidden eyes and withdrawn posture.

Ramsus
2014-01-12, 01:34 PM
"I've always wanted my own Keep. Besides, there's bound to be loot in there. Everyone can use more loot." the tiefling says.

Gavran
2014-01-12, 01:45 PM
Helcarion

The Eladrin narrows his eyes at the captain. "Do not presume what benefits me. I am willing to do this task, but I do not serve you, nor do the needs of this world concern me. You must bargain. Perhaps... a favor for a favor? To be decided, and collected, on some later date."

Vesth
2014-01-12, 02:34 PM
"Loot...equipment that can make me stronger. That could be necessary in the days ahead." Bel muttered. He seemed to think carefully about this, somewhat lost in thought. "Knowledge is what I seek. If you can promise me this, I will be more than willing to accept."

tbergman92
2014-01-12, 03:15 PM
"I'm always up for a fight." Perrin spoke up in turn. "And better equipment is always welcome, as well. I'm in." He once again checked that his sword and shield were easily readied, the thought crossing his mind that the Captain could be twisting his words to misconstrue the situation. Considering it momentarily, he decided it didn't really matter, but evaluated the man's body language and words for any hidden meaning anyway, just to satisfy his curiosity.

Insight Check: [roll0]

Drakeburn
2014-01-16, 03:40 PM
You can see that he seems pleased to hear that his passengers might accept the offer. You don't see any hint that he's lying or up to something.

"Captain!" One of the crew members shout from above.
"We've spotted something, and it seems to be moving towards us!"
"You don't mean......" Captain Skellion muttered under his breath.
"I'm afraid so. The Seagull Keep has spotted us!"

"DON'T JUST STAND THERE THEN!" Captain Skellion yelled, snapping out of his fear.
"TURN THIS SHIP AROUND! MAN THE WEAPONS! HAVE THE CREW TAKE ARMS!"

The captain turns back to the passengers.
"Well, what is it going to be then? Are you interested in storming that keep, or are you gonna hope for dumb luck to happen?"

allonym
2014-01-16, 04:43 PM
Mari seems unaware of, or unconcerned by, the sudden panic and activity. "Captain, it seems we have no choice in either case, if this situation threatens our safe passage into the city. I'll help." She looks around at the others, her smile growing wider, and laughs softly to herself. "What say you, friends? I am eager to...spread the word."

Gavran
2014-01-16, 05:53 PM
Helcarion

"Under the circumstances, I think we'll have to finish the discussion of payment another time. I will protect this ship so long as it serves me." The Eladrin's fingers curl around the hilt of his blade and he heads off toward the side of the ship where the crew are gathering.

tbergman92
2014-01-16, 06:44 PM
Perrin slides his sword a bit out of its scabbard and pulls at his shield on his back to be sure it was ready. As usual, he found himself regretting the loss of his former lightning-infused sword--yet another thing to lay at the feet of the king who had betrayed his family.

Shaking his head to free himself from his anger, he grins--hungry for battle--and replies, "Let's go." Without waiting for a response, he follows the fey to the gathering crew.

Vesth
2014-01-17, 05:47 AM
"This "Seagull Keep" will pay for slowing me down. Painfully." Bel said, following the rest for some bloodshed.

Drakeburn
2014-01-17, 12:08 PM
When you get to the main deck, the ship's crew is working harder than ever. Then you actually see it: what appears to be a keep settled on a small island, moving through the water, and getting closer to the ship.

You see some of the crew preparing the ballistas and aiming for the keep.

allonym
2014-01-17, 08:53 PM
Mari gathers her cloak around her and joins the others on the main deck. "I take it we'll be going straight for the keep? If that's the case...could I trouble someone to help me across if there's a gap?"

Ramsus
2014-01-17, 10:00 PM
"Well, you look pretty light. I could probably chuck ya across." the tiefling says with a smirk.

allonym
2014-01-17, 10:07 PM
Mari nods. "That could work, I suppose. I'd rather some other method if possible, though."

tbergman92
2014-01-17, 10:08 PM
"Hmmm. Any ideas as to the best way across? I could perhaps make it on my own, but that would leave me in an untenable position. Perhaps a rowboat or that raft from earlier? Or we could simply wait a moment and try to make our way once it is closer to the ship--however, Captain Skellion may prefer to avoid the Keep as much as possible." Perrin peered across the water, trying to judge the distance between the ship and the keep, and if there was a method to reach the keep on the island from the water's edge.

Not sure if a perception check is needed, but if it is, I'll probably fail. :smalltongue:
[roll0]

Ramsus
2014-01-17, 11:42 PM
"And I would prefer not to get peppered with arrows in an uncovered row boat. Let the captain risk his ship and his men, we'll be risking our hides plenty just going in there." the tiefling says.

Gavran
2014-01-18, 11:18 PM
Helcarion

"Agreed. Bring us in, captain." Raising his voice over the din of battle preparations, he addresses the crew. "Who here knows the most about this keep?"

Drakeburn
2014-01-19, 10:34 PM
You notice that the crew is throwing barrels, boxes, and lifeboats into the water. Probably hoping to slow down the keep.

"Incoming!" One of the men yelled as a boulder flew over the ship and entered the water a few feet from the front of the boat, leaving behind a huge splash of water for the crew.
"If you wanna know, that Keep is armed with a couple siege weapons. Probably guarded by a couple hundred men. But I didn't know that the Keep can move across the water. By my guess, it must be some kind of magic." Captain Skellion answers as he gestures to the items the crew is throwing overboard.
"Take your pick."

Ramsus
2014-01-19, 11:12 PM
"Oh, that's a good idea! Sneaky!" the tiefling says and, without waiting for anyone to agree or object to this "plan", climbs inside of one of the barrels.

Vesth
2014-01-19, 11:18 PM
Bel stares incredulously at the captain. You want us to attack a fortified position with hundreds of men? Weak as they are, this was not what I paid you to do." Staring daggers at the captain, he climbs into a lifeboat and leans against the side.

Gavran
2014-01-20, 01:10 AM
Helcarion

Quirking an eyebrow in bemusement, the Eladrin steps off the side of the ship and joins Bel in his chosen vessel. After an instant of mental focus, an oar rises out of the water and settles itself in the craft. Helcarion looks expectantly at the others.

Just playing with my Mage Hand.

tbergman92
2014-01-20, 02:59 PM
Worried that the lifeboat with the fey and dragonkin might not handle his weight, Perrin picked out a lifeboat with oars already inside and climbed out of the ship and into the boat, taking up the oars to get ready to head over to the keep.

"Anyone else coming with me?"

allonym
2014-01-20, 03:11 PM
Mari promptly replies to Perrin, "Yes." She awkwardly drops into the boat and sits as near to the middle as possible. She wipes her brow absently.

tbergman92
2014-01-20, 03:52 PM
Looking over at the Tiefling in the barrel nearby, Perrin unhooks a length of rope from his belt and wraps it around his hand a few times. Judging the distance, he calls out to the creature, "Hey, Nistivex'yis! Catch." and tosses a small bundle of the other end of the rope across the short distance to land inside the barrel--hopefully to stay.

Athletics or ranged attack check, perhaps? Whatever it is, here's a d20 roll: [roll0]
Athletics mod is +6, if it's a straight dex/ranged attack check, it's a +2.

Ramsus
2014-01-20, 04:12 PM
Nistivex'yis watches the rope... fall short and just shakes zhis head at Perrin. "Actually, if someone could just put the lid on and throw me over in the direction of the Keep that'd be good. The idea was stealth. Stttt eeellll ttttthhhh." zhe says drawing it out for emphasis as if it was a hard concept for those gathered around. "They're going to see the rest of you coming in those little boats, not sure what you think you're going to accomplish as sitting ducks. Anyway, I'll see you lot at the keep if you manage to live."

tbergman92
2014-01-20, 04:25 PM
Perrin shrugs, winding the rope back in and clipping it to his belt. "Have it your way. We'll see you over there."

Taking up the oars, he began rowing towards the keep.

allonym
2014-01-21, 08:13 PM
Mari rocks from side to side with the motion of the water, humming tunelessly to herself. After a little while, she reaches into her robes and pulls out some kind of biscuit, and nibbles on it. When there is a moment of relative quiet, she speaks to Perrin, "Thankyou for taking me. I'm sorry I can't be much help rowing, but I'm not that heavy, so hopefully I'm not slowing you down too much."

Drakeburn
2014-01-21, 08:17 PM
"Have the best of....." Captain Skellion says before being drowned out by the splash of another boulder as you begin your way to the Keep, among the other floating objects heading in the same direction.

Ramsus
2014-01-22, 12:26 AM
Nistivex'yis in zhis barrel tries to best match what zhe thinks the appropriate amount of rolling and bobbing the barrel should do if it was not filled with a person who was going to pop out and ruin someone's day.

Bluff: [roll0]

If GM does not accept Bluff, my Athletics bonus is +9 and my Stealth is *sigh* +5 (really wish that was on my skill list/we got 1 more skill trained).

Vesth
2014-01-22, 02:58 AM
Bel stares evenly at Helcarion as the lifeboat bobs about in the water.

"Make yourself useful and bring us there, elf." he said simply, expecting Helcarion to either row the boat or to use some sort of magic to bring them over.

Gavran
2014-01-22, 09:25 PM
Helcarion

"You'll find a boat rowed by only one oar merely goes in circles, child. Likewise, we will have to work in tandem if you want to get anywhere in this assault." Helcarion passes one oar toward the dragonborn and takes up the other himself, slipping it under the water's surface. "Oh, and do try to row quietly..."

Stealth: [roll0]
Strength/Athletics (add one) [roll1]

Vesth
2014-01-23, 12:49 AM
"And you have 2 hands." he replied. He rudely snatched away the oar from his 'friend' and started rowing himself, applying a burst of almost unnatural power.

"If you want to get things done, you have to do it yourself," he muttered darkly under his breath.

Strength Check: [roll0]
Natural 20!

tbergman92
2014-01-23, 01:16 PM
"Don't worry. I should be able to handle it." So saying, Perrin continued rowing, analyzing the keep ahead to look for any landing spots that seemed to be more favorable.

Stealth: [roll0] (Yeah, like this'll work).
Perception for the landing spots/favorability: [roll1]
Athletics/Strength: [roll2] add 3 more if it's athletics instead of strength.

Oh, and in case any of those are really bad, I may use Adept's Insight. In case i do want to, here's the roll [roll3]

allonym
2014-01-24, 10:32 AM
Mari nods once and continues humming. Once the rowboat gets closer to the keep, however, she suddenly becomes alert, checking her bag and the pockets of her robes, and keeping an eye out for trouble.

Perception: [roll0]

Drakeburn
2014-01-30, 04:16 PM
Under the cover of the junk floating towards the shore of the incoming island, you see five guards pulling the stuff out of the water and inspecting them. As you get closer to the keep (25 feet away from it to be exact), one of the "boarding parties" bumps into one of the large cargo boxes, alerting the guards.

"Who's there?" One of them hollers out at watery obstacles ahead of them.

Vesth
2014-02-02, 04:49 AM
"You don't deserve to know who's there, human trash!" Bel roared, unleashing a burst of arcane energies at them.

I don't know how you want to run this, so...
If possible, Bel waits until he reaches within 15ft of them, before blastingas many of them as possible with Tempest Breath.

Tempest Breath
Attack each creature in close blast 3
Attack: 1d20+7 VS Reflex
Damage: 2d6+11 Acid Damage and target can't gain combat advantage against any creature until the end of my next turn.

I gain concealment until the next of my next turn.

If this is not possible, Bel jumps out of the craft and then uses Tempest Breath.