PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre Bard Spells?

Giddonihah
2013-12-20, 05:11 PM
So I have this Bard in a 3.5P game. (3.5 rules,feats,and spells, but pathfinder classes and feat progression)

Its fairly optimized in melee with its feats and abilities using Perform Dance, Dawnflower Dervish, DFI and Snowflake wardance. But the rest of the party isnt really optimized. So I feel like I need to tone it down with the usual Bard Spell shenanigans. I dont want to use Glibness, charm person, Inspirational Boost or any of those automatic pick spells. (Still taking Cure spells though, low level game with no cleric or Druid)

So my question is this: What Bard spells are not strong but not weak, just kinda okay?
Mostly looking for 1-3 spells, though Im curious for the higher levels.

AstralFire
2013-12-20, 05:25 PM
Blistering Invective is a decidedly "meh" spell unless you went with pumping Intimidate, incredibly fun regardless. I love Detect Charm for investigative scenarios. Gallant Inspiration is a great way to make the other party members love you if they have a bad time with rolls.

The Trickster
2013-12-20, 06:14 PM
I would stick to buffing spells (Fox's cunning, Eagle's Splender, etc) and cast them on the other members. Maybe the alarm spell for camping. If you don't want glibness, how about ventriloquism? I'm not sure how powerful shatter would be in this situation, but I always like it too.

nedz
2013-12-20, 06:36 PM
Haste is strong but it buffs the party.

Try out some illusions — Silent Image and the like. These can be powerful but depend on your imagination rather than raw power.

Greenish
2013-12-20, 06:59 PM
Since you're using PF bard, you could inquire about trading some of your spells known for Masterpieces (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/masterpieces). Several of them are mediocre and/or party-wide utility.

Coidzor
2013-12-20, 08:13 PM
Don't be mediocre, focus on support and making them feel like they're better than they are.

Giddonihah
2013-12-21, 12:10 AM
Blistering Invective is a decidedly "meh" spell unless you went with pumping Intimidate, incredibly fun regardless. I love Detect Charm for investigative scenarios. Gallant Inspiration is a great way to make the other party members love you if they have a bad time with rolls.

Even though I'm playing with 3.5 spells, Blistering Invective fits my character so well that I'm gonna try to convince my GM to allow it.

Masterpieces also fit quite well, they would help my Dancer feel like a Dancer that knows more than two dances.

Buffs and Illusions are good Bard spells, but they are kinda typical bard fare. I'm kinda looking for flavourful/interesting meh spells over powerful/flexible every bard takes these spells.

Not saying I wont take buff/illusion spells, just that I already know about them and their use, and Im looking for Meh spells.