PDA

View Full Version : Type, Subtype, and Alternate Material Planes

Mr.Sandman
2013-12-21, 12:49 AM
Through some accident of planar travel I am now on an alternate material plane. Am I now an Outsider? I can probably consider myself as being composed of the 'Essence' of my home plane. Perhaps and outsider wwith the (Humanoid) or (Mortal) subtypes? Or perhaps I am still similar enought to the inhabitants to still be a Humanoid, but what if the world that runs on a different ruleset, say Pathfinder to 3.5 or M&M, I know no DM would run such a game, its just something that got me thinking.

Totema
2013-12-21, 01:44 AM
I think the common interpretation of "Outsider" is a being that comes from the outer planes; by comparison, elementals (which come from the inner planes) don't have the Outsider type. Although I see nothing wrong with gaining the Extraplanar subtype in this case.

Viros
2013-12-21, 01:44 AM
This might be answered better in the Planar questions thread, but I'll give my two cp.

No, you would just be a Humanoid with the [extraplanar] type. Outsider isn't a description of where you are now as compared to where you are when you were born--demons don't suddenly become Humanoids when they visit their homeland in the abyss, and they still qualify as Outsiders even if they were born on the material plane. Outsider has wider implications than origin; it implies innate magical powers and a connection to the outer planes, not just being a planar immigrant.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-21, 02:58 AM
No no no.

You are still humanoid (presumably. You didn't actually say what your character's race is). At the DM's discretion you may now have the extraplanar subtype but you're no more an outsider than you ever were.

Most creatures -never- change their type for -any- reason. Occasionally a spellcaster may change type as a result of magic that specifically does that but even then it's basically limited to the polymorph line of spells.

Mr.Sandman
2013-12-21, 10:38 AM
Thank you all very much. That is exactly whhat I was wondering.