PDA

View Full Version : combining two creatures (3.5)

Somensjev
2013-12-21, 03:33 AM
is there any way to permanently combine two creatures (i think i've seen fusion and astral seed mentioned by tippy before, but i'm not entirely sure how it works)

and is that the only way, or are there others

and are there any restrictions to what you can and can't combine?

any and all answers are appreciated :smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-12-21, 03:46 AM
There's a book released by Green Ronin known as Advanced Bestiary, inside there's a template called "Amalgam." I warn you though, seeing as any/all combinations you can think of are possibilities with it, this template is quite complicated. If you absolutely had to, you could make a gorilla/crocodile, badger/orc, iron golem/balor, or even a human/elf (it would come out different than the half-elf you're used to).

Now, if you were meaning through spells and the like... No clue! I'm awful with spells, and that's putting it mildly! :smalleek:

BWR
2013-12-21, 03:48 AM
1. RAW - buggered if I know.
2. Older editions - update some of thse amuing 1e/2e spells.
3. Ask your DM what you need to do. Possibly something involving Baleful Polymorph and lots of fancy lab equipment and tons of horrible misshapen failures that you keep in the dungeon to inconvenience those annoying burglars adventurers.

Somensjev
2013-12-21, 03:53 AM
There's a book released by Green Ronin known as Advanced Bestiary, inside there's a template called "Amalgam." I warn you though, seeing as any/all combinations you can think of are possibilities with it, this template is quite complicated. If you absolutely had to, you could make a gorilla/crocodile, badger/orc, iron golem/balor, or even a human/elf (it would come out different than the half-elf you're used to).

Now, if you were meaning through spells and the like... No clue! I'm awful with spells, and that's putting it mildly! :smalleek:

templates and such are fine, if necessary. but i was mostly wondering how a PC could combine two things

shaikujin
2013-12-21, 04:15 AM
Some other options using templates off the top of my head:

Symbiotic
Lycanthrope
Tauric
Chimera

Done in the right order, they can be combined with each other.

Iamyourking
2013-12-21, 04:42 AM
It's third party and for 3.0, but the Encyclopedia Arcane: Crossbreeding has rules for creating your own versions of stuff like the Owlbear and Bunnyduck if you want to take a different approach to fusing them. Examples include a Barbazu/Nightmare, Behir/Hydra, Roper/Treant, Orc/Wolverine, Stirge/Pixie, Purple Worm/Thoqqua, Lizardfolk/Svifneblin, Elasmosaurus/Storm Giant, Mind Flayer/Naga, Dire Bat/Shark, and Giant Wasp/Giant Scorpion. You are probably obligated to use one of Dragonflies, Gorillas, Kangaroos, and Moose in some way for any hybrid that's just animal/animal.

nedz
2013-12-21, 05:31 AM
Wish can do it but YMMV. I do recall a particularly memorable "I wish we were all back home and in one piece" many years ago :smallbiggrin:

Possession et al can be fairly permanent. But this is merging one person's soul into another's body, so might not be what you want.

Somensjev
2013-12-21, 05:37 AM
Wish can do it but YMMV. I do recall a particularly memorable "I wish we were all back home and in one piece" many years ago :smallbiggrin:

Possession et al can be fairly permanent. But this is merging one person's soul into another's body, so might not be what you want.

i was looking at combining a shadesteel golem with an atropal (don't ask) the soul thing probably wouldn't do what i want

wish could do it, but there's very few things it cant do

Bullet06320
2013-12-21, 07:37 AM
2. Older editions - update some of thse amuing 1e/2e spells.

lifeblend from Pages of the Mages pg 68
lets u combine up to 4, but a chance of failure, to get sucked into the blend
its 2ed forgotten realms book, looks easily convertible to 3rd, plenty of room for creative players

PurpleSocks
2013-12-21, 07:46 AM
There's the Tauric creature template in Savage Species which gives rules for combining two creatures so that you have "a hybrid being possessing the head, arms, and upper torso of a humanoid, and the legs and body of an animal, magical beast, or vermin."

Although literally nothing would need to change if you wanted to use a monstrous humanoid for the top.

Uncle Pine
2013-12-21, 08:33 AM

It's third party and for 3.0, but the Encyclopedia Arcane: Crossbreeding has rules for creating your own versions of stuff like the Owlbear and Bunnyduck if you want to take a different approach to fusing them. Examples include a Barbazu/Nightmare, Behir/Hydra, Roper/Treant, Orc/Wolverine, Stirge/Pixie, Purple Worm/Thoqqua, Lizardfolk/Svifneblin, Elasmosaurus/Storm Giant, Mind Flayer/Naga, Dire Bat/Shark, and Giant Wasp/Giant Scorpion. You are probably obligated to use one of Dragonflies, Gorillas, Kangaroos, and Moose in some way for any hybrid that's just animal/animal.

These two are probably the best options you'll find to permanently combine two (or more) creatures. And the only ones I'm aware of at the moment, to be honest.
However, while the former method is faster (mechanically speaking), only the latter is available to PCs. Moreover, crossbreeding allows you to do more than just stack the qualities of two creatures and even the ability scores: you can go crazy and adjust the result to completely match your desires! As soon as you can succeed the various skill check, at least.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-21, 02:43 PM
I do recall a particularly memorable "I wish we were all back home and in one piece" many years ago :smallbiggrin:

That GM deserves a medal.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-21, 02:46 PM
The fusion + astral seed combo is actually fairly simple.

You manifest fusion http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm with yourself and your target.

You now gain their abilities as per the fusion power.

Then you manifest Astral seed http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm while still fused

Astral seed only checks your current form. So if you kill yourself you will be in the same body as you are currently in (The fused form) permanently.