PDA

View Full Version : Extra monk special weapons

limejuicepowder
2013-12-21, 01:20 PM
Is there a way to add a tripping reach weapon to the list of special monk weapons? I know about the feats in eberron campaign setting, but none of them are for trip weapons.

Flickerdart
2013-12-21, 01:22 PM
Since unarmed strikes can be used to trip, you can simply gain any of the means of increasing reach and use unarmed strikes to trip.

limejuicepowder
2013-12-21, 01:32 PM
Hmmm that's an idea, though I'm somewhat opposed to the aesthetics of a 12' tall character, or having arms that drag on the ground.

AMFV
2013-12-21, 01:33 PM
Shou Disciple from Unapproachable East... Lets any martial count as a monk weapon for flurry.

infomatic
2013-12-21, 01:41 PM
The Eberron Feats -- whirling steel strike and so on, add longsword, longspear or double sword as monk weapons. Reflavoring them to, say, guisarme should be easy.

But with existing rules, Shou Disciple works good, too.

Darrin
2013-12-21, 02:07 PM
Unorthodox Flurry (Dragon Compendium) + kusari gama (DMG) should work.
A&EG had some special monk weapons, but I don't recall if any of them can trip. Hmmm... AFB but maybe Oriental Adventures has something?

Piggy Knowles
2013-12-21, 02:37 PM
With Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), basically any weapon becomes a tripping weapon.

Greenish
2013-12-21, 02:59 PM
I know about the feats in eberron campaign setting, but none of them are for trip weapons.Oh ye of little faith! Look into Secrets of Sarlona: Pole Master should do the trick.

Pole Fighter from Dragon Magazine Compendium is basically the same feat, too.

Rubik
2013-12-21, 03:10 PM
Combine the Long Reach feat from Unapproachable East with adding the Aptitude property from ToB to your unarmed strikes should work (via kensai, necklace of natural weapons, magical gauntlets [which are listed as unarmed strikes, so they use your monk progression], ward cestus, warforged battlefists, Ancestral Relic, Item Familiar, etc).

Then your unarmed strikes have a reach of 15' on your turn. Flavor it like Ring the Golden Bell, with you using your ki to hit and trip things farther away than your body can reach.

AMFV
2013-12-21, 03:11 PM
Oh ye of little faith! Look into Secrets of Sarlona: Pole Master should do the trick.

Nobody thought that feat name through... did they...

That's just awful...

Werephilosopher
2013-12-21, 03:17 PM
Dragon Mg #319 has the rope dart, which has 15' reach and can also strike adjacent foes, that can be used as a special monk weapon, and can make trip attacks. It's also finessable, has a bonus to disarm enemies, is two-handed so power attack works great with it, and has a bludgeoning variant.

Flickerdart
2013-12-21, 03:17 PM
Nobody thought that feat name through... did they...

That's just awful...
Awesome Blow.
Decisive Blow.
Flurry of Blows.
Rod of Lordly Might.
Any of the game's multitudinous Orbs.
Monkey Grip.

Rubik
2013-12-21, 03:29 PM
Rod of Lordly Might.And if you push the right buttons, it even extends.

Maginomicon
2013-12-21, 03:52 PM
This post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15332465&postcount=12) may be of use to you. If you're going to spending a feat tax on it anyway, I'd recommend the Awl Pike (Dragon Compendium page 110), which has a 15ft reach.

limejuicepowder
2013-12-21, 03:59 PM
Oh ye of little faith! Look into Secrets of Sarlona: Pole Master should do the trick.

This would be perfect, except I'm trading flurry of blows away for decisive strike. Darn prereqs.

infomatic
2013-12-21, 05:14 PM
Then definitely pick up Shou Disciple, and you get flurry back. You want to post the whole build?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-21, 05:27 PM
Then definitely pick up Shou Disciple, and you get flurry back.
Sorry, but that's not what it says.
Martial Flurry (Ex): At 3rd level, a Shou Disciple gains the ability to use any light melee weapon for his flurry of blows, not just special Monk weapons. At 5th level, a Shou Disciple may use any melee weapon for his flurry of blows. A Shou Disciple with Monk levels stacks the levels of the two classes to determine their flurry of blows and greater flurry progression. You must already have flurry of blows; Shou Disciple only augments that class feature, but doesn't grant it.

AMFV
2013-12-21, 05:44 PM
Sorry, but that's not what it says. You must already have flurry of blows; Shou Disciple only augments that class feature, but doesn't grant it.

Well this depends on if you can stack zero level classes for stacking. Since Shou Disciple explicitly stacks with Monk for flurry of blows. So the question is does a Whatever x/Shou Disciple 5 = Monk 5 for flurry, by most readings it would. Since that matches the math scenario, and there is no exception presented for if you have zero levels in monk, so by RAW you would have that many levels of flurry. Although this is heavily contested.

It may not actually stack at all though, because it depends on the old monk Unarmed BAB table, although that could be updated and then it should stack, since there's no official exception, although I'm not sure how that would update to 3.5, I think it should update that way, but I'm no longer clear.

infomatic
2013-12-21, 08:39 PM
Sorry, but that's not what it says. You must already have flurry of blows; Shou Disciple only augments that class feature, but doesn't grant it…

A Shou Disciple with Monk levels stacks the levels of the two classes to determine their flurry of blows and greater flurry progression

0 Monk levels + X Shou levels = X

Werephilosopher
2013-12-21, 08:42 PM
Well this depends on if you can stack zero level classes for stacking. Since Shou Disciple explicitly stacks with Monk for flurry of blows. So the question is does a Whatever x/Shou Disciple 5 = Monk 5 for flurry, by most readings it would. Since that matches the math scenario, and there is no exception presented for if you have zero levels in monk, so by RAW you would have that many levels of flurry. Although this is heavily contested.

Except a Monk without FoB doesn't have a FoB progression, which is what Shou Disciple advances. So a "Monk w/o FoB" x/Shou Disciple 5 wouldn't have a FoB at all. The way the class feature leads definitely implies one must be able to Flurry due to another source in order to gain benefits from Shou Disciple.

EDIT:

0 Monk levels + X Shou levels = X

If a character has zero Monk levels, he is not a "Shou Disciple with Monk levels," which is what the class feature specifies as a prereq to stacking.

AMFV
2013-12-22, 03:02 AM
Except a Monk without FoB doesn't have a FoB progression, which is what Shou Disciple advances. So a "Monk w/o FoB" x/Shou Disciple 5 wouldn't have a FoB at all. The way the class feature leads definitely implies one must be able to Flurry due to another source in order to gain benefits from Shou Disciple.

EDIT:

If a character has zero Monk levels, he is not a "Shou Disciple with Monk levels," which is what the class feature specifies as a prereq to stacking.

True which is why I edited my original statement. It would largely depend on how it was updated, since it would have to be updated by the DM, so we're looking at necessary houserules here, and it could probably go either way. Since "Monk Unarmed BAB" isn't a thing in 3.5. So you'd have to discuss with the DM if it works or not. I can't imagine that it would be overpowering to work, but as I said when I corrected, I'm not sure it works by RAW, the rule no longer can function as it is, and so is dysfunctional and requires update.

Werephilosopher
2013-12-22, 04:08 AM
True which is why I edited my original statement. It would largely depend on how it was updated, since it would have to be updated by the DM, so we're looking at necessary houserules here, and it could probably go either way. Since "Monk Unarmed BAB" isn't a thing in 3.5. So you'd have to discuss with the DM if it works or not. I can't imagine that it would be overpowering to work, but as I said when I corrected, I'm not sure it works by RAW, the rule no longer can function as it is, and so is dysfunctional and requires update.

Sorry, looking back I see I completely misread your second paragraph. :smallfrown: My bad.

AMFV
2013-12-22, 04:18 AM
Sorry, looking back I see I completely misread your second paragraph. :smallfrown: My bad.

It's no problem, it was an edit. Basically the RAW no longer works so you'd have to change the class anyways.