PDA

View Full Version : Arch-Devils/Demon Lords with divine ranks

Brookshw
2013-12-21, 01:28 PM
So I had told my players at the start of my current campaign that I was going to be treating Arch Devils and Demon Lords as having divine ranks. Straight forward enough. While looking over the possibilities of how to rebuild each I find myself wondering how many divine ranks to give (probably 1-5 usually, maybe a bit more for big A or Pale Night, maybe just 0 for Bel) and what SDA's to give each.

So what do others think on which deserves what in this regard?

ngilop
2013-12-21, 03:26 PM
Orcus.

Orcus should get the highest amount of divine ranks you would hand out here, if only becuase its been said time and time again he is the only fiend to have ever attained 'true' deity status.

Brookshw
2013-12-21, 03:33 PM
Orcus.

Orcus should get the highest amount of divine ranks you would hand out here, if only becuase its been said time and time again he is the only fiend to have ever attained 'true' deity status.

Sounds reasonable. But what SDA's fit him? Death, sure. Sunder & disjoin?

I could see Graz'zr having some of the alter form chain and being divine rank 3-4 maybe. Orcus, say, somewhere 4-6?

There's no right answer, its entirely a "what if" opinion question, I'm curious on anyone's take.

Vhaidara
2013-12-21, 03:41 PM
Actually, I would make Orcus the one with the fewest. Because having them kind of breaks him. That's his goal. If I recall, he died/faked his death and Tenebrous became a god, but then Orcus was mad because Orcus wasn't a god. Tenebrous (who was Orcus, but not Orcus) was a god. So Orcus came back, destroying Tenebrous (who became a vestige), but Orcus still wasn't a god and still desperately wanted to be a god.

So, if they have divine ranks, make him the one with the fewest. So rather than his goal being to become a god, his goal is to become the most powerful god (among demon/devils).

Also, the ascension of the Archdevils and demon lords is going to need a power rebalance both among current evil deities and among the forces of good.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-21, 04:05 PM
Obligatory mention of dicefreaks' version of Orcus. 'Tis X-mas time for DMs! Just google dicefreaks and orcus, should come up. It, if anything, might be a little beyond what you are looking for, but you could chop off a bunch of the extras and use it as a template for the others that you are looking to do.

Brookshw
2013-12-21, 04:23 PM
Obligatory mention of dicefreaks' version of Orcus. 'Tis X-mas time for DMs! Just google dicefreaks and orcus, should come up. It, if anything, might be a little beyond what you are looking for, but you could chop off a bunch of the extras and use it as a template for the others that you are looking to do.

Indeed. I've seen the dicefreaks versions of a few and they are, as specced, a bit higher than what I'm looking for, but with some cropping they could work. I think the hang up I'm debating is primarily which SDA align with which Arch-devil/Demon Lord. None the less its a great thought, I'll have to revisit their builds for some additional ideas.

Envyus
2013-12-21, 04:53 PM
Actually, I would make Orcus the one with the fewest. Because having them kind of breaks him. That's his goal. If I recall, he died/faked his death and Tenebrous became a god, but then Orcus was mad because Orcus wasn't a god. Tenebrous (who was Orcus, but not Orcus) was a god. So Orcus came back, destroying Tenebrous (who became a vestige), but Orcus still wasn't a god and still desperately wanted to be a god.

So, if they have divine ranks, make him the one with the fewest. So rather than his goal being to become a god, his goal is to become the most powerful god (among demon/devils).

Also, the ascension of the Archdevils and demon lords is going to need a power rebalance both among current evil deities and among the forces of good.

Actually it been said repeatedly that Orcus is the Demon Lord closest to being a god.

Of the three most powerful Demon Princes their traits are

*Graz'zt holds the most territory, has the most demon serving him, is the most tactical, but most demon lords hate him.

*Demogorgon is the most powerful, has the most demon lord allies, but has a very small fallowing barely anyone worships him.

*Orcus has a great portfolio with undead, is the closest to being a god, tons of worshipers, All other demon lords hate him.

123456789blaaa
2013-12-21, 05:00 PM
Actually it been said repeatedly that Orcus is the Demon Lord closest to being a god.

Of the three most powerful Demon Princes their traits are

*Graz'zt holds the most territory, has the most demon serving him, is the most tactical, but most demon lords hate him.

*Demogorgon is the most powerful, has the most demon lord allies, but has a very small fallowing barely anyone worships him.

*Orcus has a great portfolio with undead, is the closest to being a god, tons of worshipers, All other demon lords hate him.

I thought it was actually Orcus who had the most demon's serving him?

Demogorgon actually has a large cult (for a non-diety). They're just mostly not humans. Almost the entire race of ixitxachitl worship him for example.

I'd say another defining trait of Orcus would be his tenacity and stubborness. You can see this symbolized in his ram head. He clawed his way up from a dretch to one of the top 3 most powerful Demon Princes in the Abyss.

Envyus
2013-12-21, 07:12 PM
I thought it was actually Orcus who had the most demon's serving him?

Nope Orcus actually has very few demons under his employment. He does however have tons of easily replaceable undead. His main strategy for his fight with Graz'zt is to send waves of undead at his forces then just leave it like that because he knows he is never going to run out of them.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-22, 08:43 PM
My google-fu fails me.
Where are the dicefreaks versions of the Lords?
(Did they do the Archdukes too)
I found Orcus (so awesome), but can't find any others, Mainly Graz'zt and Demogorgon.

123456789blaaa
2013-12-22, 09:43 PM
Nope Orcus actually has very few demons under his employment. He does however have tons of easily replaceable undead. His main strategy for his fight with Graz'zt is to send waves of undead at his forces then just leave it like that because he knows he is never going to run out of them.

Hm...I remember the opposite. Can I get a source for Orcus having very few demons? I'm not doubting you but you could be misremembering.