PDA

View Full Version : Dexterity, making it worthwhile for fighters without the headache(WIP).

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 02:32 PM
I want to propose a couple of rule changes as well as a feat change to give dexterity a chance to be like strength for melee without burning too many precious feats. I also hope to bring the single weapon style into a little more viability later.
1. Any light weapon or weapon that says it is finessable may automatically use dexterity over their strength for attack rolls.
2. Your max dexterity bonus on your armor may be increased by one fifth your BAB.
3. Your armor check penalty may be lessened by one third your BAB.

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 02:46 PM
Weapons Finesse(fighter)
Prerequisites: Dex. 13

Benefit: You can declare any weapon you use to be finessable. In addition you may use your dexterity in place of strength when making trip checks. You may also treat your dexterity score as your strength score for qualifying for feats so long as the ability in question only applies to weapons.
Special: Fighters may select this as a bonus feat. Monks may also replace one of their bonus feats with this one.

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 02:54 PM
Single Weapon Style
While wielding a weapon in one hand and nothing in your off hand you gain the following benefits.
1. In addition to rules mentioned above you gain a circumstance bonus to balance, jump, and tumble checks as well as feinting equal to 1+BAB/4.
2. You may replace your strength to damage with your dexterity.
3. If you catch an opponent without the dex. bonus to their AC, flanked, or make an attack of opportunity against them you gain a circumstance bonus to damage rolls equal to your dexterity bonus.
4. You may always make a five foot step even if you have already moved for the round.

Frozen_Feet
2013-12-21, 03:02 PM
Easier way to do this:

Allow characters with their highest level in a class with all armor proficiencies (Such as Fighter) to ignore Max Dex limit and reduce Armor Check Penalties.

Allow characters with their highest level in a class with full BAB (such as Fighter) to automatically use better of STR or DEX bonus for hitting and combat maneuvers.

A harder way to do this:

I've already remade all [Fighter] feats in the SRD as well as the Fighter class itself to be more amenable to combat of all kinds. Check the link in my signature. No need to do all the work again yourself. :smallwink:

Beyond that, your proposed fixes aren't bad, they are just very, very minor. If you wish to stick with them, go for it.

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 03:09 PM
Easier way to do this:

Allow characters with their highest level in a class with all armor proficiencies (Such as Fighter) to ignore Max Dex limit and reduce Armor Check Penalties.

Allow characters with their highest level in a class with full BAB (such as Fighter) to automatically use better of STR or DEX bonus for hitting and combat maneuvers.

A harder way to do this:

I've already remade all [Fighter] feats in the SRD as well as the Fighter class itself to be more amenable to combat of all kinds. Check the link in my signature. No need to do all the work again yourself. :smallwink:

Beyond that, your proposed fixes aren't bad, they are just very, very minor. If you wish to stick with them, go for it.
I am working on some mid to later level material.
1. The problem with ignoring them completely is that the ones that use dexterity the most are the ones without all the armor proficiencies.
2. Bull Rushing doesn't really make sense without brute force. I also am not inclined to auto choice everything as dexterity applies to a lot of other things in which strength doesn't. If they work for it then fine but not up front.

WbtE
2013-12-21, 07:15 PM
A more radical change would be removing the standard ability effects and making "Add your Dexterity bonus to your AC", "Add your Strength bonus to attacks and damage", "Add your Constitution modifier to your hit points rolled for each hit dice", etc. into class features.

Network
2013-12-21, 07:36 PM
A more radical change would be removing the standard ability effects and making "Add your Dexterity bonus to your AC", "Add your Strength bonus to attacks and damage", "Add your Constitution modifier to your hit points rolled for each hit dice", etc. into class features.
That'd be a major nerf for pretty much every character and monster, and the fact that these abilities become pretty much useless means that you're nerfing the mundanes much more than the spellcasters (who only need to max one mental ability score or two).

WbtE
2013-12-21, 07:52 PM
That'd be a major nerf for pretty much every character and monster, and the fact that these abilities become pretty much useless means that you're nerfing the mundanes much more than the spellcasters (who only need to max one mental ability score or two).

:smallconfused: Are you assuming that non-spellcasters don't get most of these functions (or equivalents) back through their class abilities?

Network
2013-12-21, 07:54 PM
:smallconfused: Are you assuming that non-spellcasters don't get most of these functions (or equivalents) back through their class abilities?
No, only that spellcasters won't have any reason to put points in these abilities.

WbtE
2013-12-21, 08:12 PM
No, only that spellcasters won't have any reason to put points in these abilities.

OK, so assuming just that the Fighter and co gained nothing out of this (i.e. the class features gave back what was taken away), how are they nerfed more than Wizard et al, who lost Dexterity to AC and initiative and Constitution to hit points? :smallconfused:

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 09:12 PM
OK, so assuming just that the Fighter and co gained nothing out of this (i.e. the class features gave back what was taken away), how are they nerfed more than Wizard et al, who lost Dexterity to AC and initiative and Constitution to hit points? :smallconfused:

Wizards don't need the physical stats to remain competent and alive, fighters do. They only need spells which can even act outside of their turn. The conjuration school is full of spells that don't rely on any DC or attack. Let us also not forget nerveskitter and celerity.

WbtE
2013-12-21, 09:46 PM
Wizards don't need the physical stats to remain competent and alive, fighters do. They only need spells which can even act outside of their turn. The conjuration school is full of spells that don't rely on any DC or attack. Let us also not forget nerveskitter and celerity.

So, you're saying that it doesn't nerf fighters or arcane casters (although I think the latter is tenuous at low levels). I presume you would concede that it hits at least some cleric and druid builds?

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 09:48 PM
Einhander(tactical, fighter)

Prerequisites: BAB +4, Combat Expertise, Balance 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks

Benefit: If you are fighting with a one-handed weapon or a light weapon and carrying nothing in your off hand, the Einhander feat grants you access to three special tactical maneuvers.
Narrow Profile: You adopt a stance that puts your arm forward and your chest away from your opponent. When fighting defensively or employing the Combat Expertise maneuver you may +2 dodge bonus to your AC and reflex saves. You may also treat yourself as one size smaller for fighting in close spaces.
Off Hand Leverage: If you have successfully attacked an opponent you may make a tumble check appropriate for the intended movement instead of the 5 foot step normally granted to move any distance equal to the diameter of your threatened area. This may only be done once a round.
Measured Guard When employing the combat expertise maneuver the attack penalty does not apply when trying to disarm an opponent. If you have at least taken a penalty of 5 you do not suffer a penalty when moving at full speed in tumbling or balancing.
Special: A fighter may select this as a bonus feat.

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 09:53 PM
So, you're saying that it doesn't nerf fighters or arcane casters (although I think the latter is tenuous at low levels). I presume you would concede that it hits at least some cleric and druid builds?

It does nerf fighters because they lose the low level advantage(levels 1-6) by piece mealing things that should be standard. A fair amount of low level monsters have a decent natural armor and such so you basically made them impotent.
Druids have amazing crowd control and a buddy. Clerics can still dole out buffs and get in a couple of good hits while eventually not caring about action economy.

Amnoriath
2013-12-21, 10:56 PM
Swing and Sword(style)

Prerequisites: Dex 13. BAB +6, Use rope 5 ranks, Jump 5 ranks, Weapons Finesse, Weapons focus(whip), Whip Climber skill trick

Benefit: You can make a jump check of 20 as part of a move action to launch yourself off a wall, balcony or when you are swinging on a rope towards an opponent. If you are successful you deal an extra 2d6 damage plus 1 point of damage per 5 points you exceed your check(max 20) to the next attack for the round. If you fall 10 or more feet you still need to make a tumble check as usual. If you are not successful you fall prone from where let go. You can also use your whip climber skill trick as a free action instead of a move and do it once more an encounter. Additionally if you have a whip in your offhand you may treat it as if it was not there if you haven't used it against an opponent in the round.