PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Winamp

LibraryOgre
2013-12-21, 02:35 PM
So, I've been using Winamp for years, across computers. However, it seems it is being discontinued and, unfortunately, has gotten downright ****ty at moving a playlist and associated files to my MP3 player.

Anyone have some suggestions for a program that will
a) give good randomization to video and audio playlists
b) provide a good platform for managing those thousands of files
c) neatly import a sizable playlist and its associated music to an MP3 player?

TuggyNE
2013-12-22, 03:51 AM
*shrug* I've had some success with Windows Media Player, actually. In particular, I made some auto playlists a few years back to avoid playing the same songs too often; each one was set to include only songs that I hadn't heard in a given period of time.

I have no personal experience with its mobile syncing, though.

Cheesegear
2013-12-22, 04:00 AM
I was in the same conundrum. I use AIMP now. Which is super similar to WinAmp.

Foobar is another alternative. But you really shouldn't need it over AIMP unless you're into ripping and burning CDs (or you're just sick of Windows Media Player, which it basically is).

XMPlay is the one all the cool kids have, since, as a matter of fact, it does actually support a number - but not all - of WinAmp plugins as well. Since I never used WinAmp plugins anyway, I'm happy using AIMP.

Clementine is basically iTunes, without the store - which means it loads waaay faster. So give that shot if you need to sync with an MP3 player.

Hida Reju
2013-12-22, 04:05 AM
I use VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html) for about everything, video, music, and movies.

It has served me well and with almost no problems.

Moak
2013-12-22, 08:14 AM
I secondo Foobar2000, expecially if you used nested folder to manage music structure on your pc. Also, it manage pretty well ipod libraries, if you have one. Since when I've found it, I've NEVER installed that bloated thing that is Itunes.

Don't know AIMP, and Windows Media Player from version 8 onwards is actually pretty decent. I expecially appreciated his toolbar with XP. The only "uff" part is reset some mp3 data when adding to his library, and manage the codec for video.

VLC is a good "all in one" solution if you don't want to bother with video codecs. I find his library... too simple. Not enough options. But this could be simply a fact of ignorance of plugins (I love is equalizer, btw)

Ravens_cry
2013-12-22, 06:45 PM
I use VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html) for about everything, video, music, and movies.

It has served me well and with almost no problems.
It doesn't play Midi files though, which always struck me as a little odd.
There's probably an add-on that can, it's just weird it can't by default.

Hida Reju
2013-12-23, 01:07 AM
It doesn't play Midi files though, which always struck me as a little odd.
There's probably an add-on that can, it's just weird it can't by default.

While I admit I have never played a pure Midi file with VLC the features page for audio shows that it currently does support Midi format for audio on Windows and Linux OS.

Ravens_cry
2013-12-23, 01:49 AM
While I admit I have never played a pure Midi file with VLC the features page for audio shows that it currently does support Midi format for audio on Windows and Linux OS.
Huh. I admittedly don't have the latest version, so I guess it was added after I downloaded my copy. Still strange it was added so late in the development cycle, as I only downloaded my copy about a year ago.

Socratov
2013-12-23, 02:12 AM
I have, over the years, become a real fan of Mediamonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/). It's free, though you can actually buy it, unlock some features (unlock it for life and all versions). It's like someone got iTunes, made is easier to use, better in managing libraries, completely customizable and familliar with each and every digital music format. It also workst with just about every mp3 player, and it does randomize lists, either by using the shuffle feature, or by actually randomising the playlist itself. I have over 40 gigs of music myzelf and where WMP and other music managers break down with long lists Mediamonkey just carries on laughing.

Surrealistik
2013-12-25, 11:51 PM
VLC Media Player

Chambers
2013-12-29, 09:52 PM
XMPlay is the one all the cool kids have, since, as a matter of fact, it does actually support a number - but not all - of WinAmp plugins as well. Since I never used WinAmp plugins anyway, I'm happy using AIMP.

I have many fond memories of downloading random WinAmp plugins, many of them completely unnecessary. Lots of really neat (for the time) visualizers.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-12-29, 11:13 PM
I have, over the years, become a real fan of Mediamonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/). It's free, though you can actually buy it, unlock some features (unlock it for life and all versions). It's like someone got iTunes, made is easier to use, better in managing libraries, completely customizable and familliar with each and every digital music format. It also workst with just about every mp3 player, and it does randomize lists, either by using the shuffle feature, or by actually randomising the playlist itself. I have over 40 gigs of music myzelf and where WMP and other music managers break down with long lists Mediamonkey just carries on laughing.
QFT. It's basically what I've been using for about a year.

Short version: it's got all the good things from iTunes (catalogue features, smart shuffling, iDevice compatibility) without all the bloatware that makes iTunes feel like you're using a 90's computer.

VLC I only use to play videos. I'm not a huge fan of its sound rendering (it may just be in my head, but any songs played on it feel a lot more flat compared to basically anything else, including Windows Media Player).