PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Controller suggestions?

ChaosArchon
2013-12-21, 03:20 PM
So I know this will probably be considered a heretical statement to the PC gaming master race, but sometimes when I play on my laptop I feel like I would be more comfortable in some games if I could use a controller in lieu of a mouse and keyboard. So this holiday season I'm considering getting one.

I'd like some advice on what are some good controllers and whether they can just connect to my laptop or whether I need some additional external device and/or drivers to connect the two.

Mando Knight
2013-12-21, 04:05 PM
The drivers for running a wired Xbox 360 controller should be already installed on any PC running Windows Vista or later. Some have reported issues, but I've never encountered them, myself.

Note that's the wired-only controller. The wireless controller won't connect to the computer via the Play and Charge kit, and requires a dongle that costs an additional 10-15 USD.

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-21, 04:13 PM
Aye, wired 360 controller is basically the go-to for PC controllers, assuming you're on a halfway modern windows system, it's literally plug in and start playing.

ChaosArchon
2013-12-21, 04:17 PM
Any word on whether the new Xbox 1 controller can connect via wifi/bluetooth to a laptop? By the way my system is running on Windows 7 so yeah it seems that the xbox 360 wired controller would work.

Woodzyowl
2013-12-21, 04:18 PM
I can't speak for the XB360 controller, but I get good use out of my logitech f310. It doesn't have vibration, but otherwise it's quite nice. And it's cheaper.

huttj509
2013-12-21, 07:57 PM
I can't speak for the XB360 controller, but I get good use out of my logitech f310. It doesn't have vibration, but otherwise it's quite nice. And it's cheaper.

Seconded. It can also switch between 2 types of inputs to more easily work with some programs (such as emulators and older games, which can have difficulty recognizing an Xbox controller).

Beleriphon
2013-12-21, 08:00 PM
Any word on whether the new Xbox 1 controller can connect via wifi/bluetooth to a laptop? By the way my system is running on Windows 7 so yeah it seems that the xbox 360 wired controller would work.

Not sure about the new one, but I'd imagine that it has some functionality. The XBox 360 controller requires a dongle to get it work correctly wirelessly.

Mattarias, King.
2013-12-21, 11:10 PM
I vote AGAINST the Rock Candy generic line of controllers. Took me weeks to get it working right for Dark Souls, and even then, it gives me errors on startup.

Mando Knight
2013-12-21, 11:15 PM
According to Kotaku's August interview with a Microsoft rep (http://kotaku.com/how-the-xbox-one-controller-has-changed-1109126240), official PC support for the Xbox One controller comes next year.

Drascin
2013-12-22, 07:57 AM
Basically, here's the thing. You could get a lot of controllers. But most of the games coming out now automatically assume you're using an X360 pad and adjust themselves that way. So you'll probably end up having to get a 360 pad sooner or later.

I ended up having to get myself a 360 one simply because with my old one, in half the games I got the right stick had its axes inverted (moving left-right mapped to up-down and viceversa), which was weird and annoying and disorienting.

huttj509
2013-12-22, 09:29 AM
Basically, here's the thing. You could get a lot of controllers. But most of the games coming out now automatically assume you're using an X360 pad and adjust themselves that way. So you'll probably end up having to get a 360 pad sooner or later.

I ended up having to get myself a 360 one simply because with my old one, in half the games I got the right stick had its axes inverted (moving left-right mapped to up-down and viceversa), which was weird and annoying and disorienting.

Many/most of the suggested controllers function the same as an XBox360. The mentioned Logitech, for example, has a switch that changes between telling the computer "I'm an XBox controller" and Direct Input. If the switch is on X, it's recognized as an XBox controller by everything but an XBox itself, uses the XBox controller drivers, etc.

What controller had the right stick issue? That seems pretty glaringly bad.

Sajiri
2013-12-22, 03:57 PM
I vote AGAINST the Rock Candy generic line of controllers. Took me weeks to get it working right for Dark Souls, and even then, it gives me errors on startup.

I use rock candy and it works just fine for me. I think I had some issues at first trying to get it working the day I bought it but I dont recall how I solved it, since then it's been great. Maybe specific games or PCs it just doesnt like?

I bought my rock candy controller out of a bargain bin because my old 360 one was filled with dust after being left in a shed for 2 years, it was nice and cheap and been reliable for me, I only use it for Skyrim and FFXIV though.