PDA

View Full Version : Clues of what to play

ReD_Exorcist
2013-12-21, 04:17 PM
So me and my friends are starting a new campaign 3.5, we are using PhB, DmG and MM. I was wondering what should I play this time, I have played as a Elf rogue and Elf ranger, I wanted to be a gnome druid. We are starting at lvl 3 and we are using the point by system. So any fun class that I should try out?, Our DM well allow classes from other sources as long as there balanced and I have a good RPG background for them.

eggynack
2013-12-21, 04:23 PM
I support the possibility of druiding. I'd probably take something like human over gnome, but gnome certainly isn't the worst choice. Pick up natural spell at 6th level, and probably augment summoning, craft wondrous item, and extend spell at various points in your career, and exalt in your druidness. Core druid 2nd's are pretty universally mediocre, especially compared to splat book 2nd's, but then you get third's, and those are comparable to just about anything from another source. Pump wisdom, then constitution, then intelligence, then probably charisma, cause dexterity and strength are pretty universally irrelevant. It's pretty simple stuff, at least from a build perspective.

Edit: I mean, core 2nd's aren't the worst. It's just that you read something like entangle, and you compare it to soften earth and stone, which I guess is the 2nd level equivalent, and you can see the problem. So, you have that, and you have summon swarm, and maybe you toss in barkskin or fog cloud for good luck, but there's no entangle there. 3rd has sleet storm though, and that's the best 3rd level druid fog in any book, even with arctic haze and haboob hanging around, and you get stone shape, which is amazing, and call lightning and wind wall are there too. You also upgrade your summoning options from hippogriffs to dire wolves, which is a huge improvement.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-21, 04:45 PM
Sorcerers are also fun. They're strong if you pick the right spells, and relatively easy to play.

Druid is a fine way to go if you haven't played a caster before. If you prepare the wrong spells one day, don't sweat it. You can always try again tomorrow. Or spam Summon Nature's Ally at your problems until they're gone.