PDA

View Full Version : [PF] what cleric spells to extend

khachaturian
2013-12-21, 05:42 PM
wondering if it's worth taking extend spell as a level 7 feat for a cleric who is primarily crowd-control/buff. it seems that minute/level spells already last long enough for a fight, and right now, round/level spells are lasting for the duration of most fights.

the way i see it, i might be more likely to cast a round/level spell buff before combat, and thus save an in-combat action, if it is extended.

can anyone share their experience with this feat and what spells from the cleric list that are good candidates for extend? also, this is for pathfinder, so dmm persist is obviously not in play.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-21, 06:30 PM
It's generally a good idea to use Extend Spell on hour/level spells and buffs like (Greater) Magic Weapon, Water Breathing, and Air Walk.

I generally use the metamagic to make effects last all day. "All day" only needs to be 15 hours for most effects, since you need to spend 8 hours resting + 1 hour praying for spells. Even then, you can get away with like 12-14 assuming you let the spells wear off like 2 hours before you go to bed, or else wait an hour or two between waking up and casting them.

Basically, any spell where you're worried about the duration running out too early is a good candidate for Extend Spell.

khachaturian
2013-12-21, 08:22 PM
thanks, and in your experience, better as a feat or metamagic rod?

assuming normal wbl. 3K for lesser rod could give you
- magic vestment x2 (armor and shield), and maybe resist energy, magic circle against evil, or longstrider (domain)

11k for regular
- greater magic weapon, freedom of movement, and maybe blessing of fervor until you get to a level where it can comfortably be cast as a prebuff? seems like i'm not finding many hour/level spells, and for this build greater magic weapon is probably less important until i can enchant defending property... but at that level, spell is probably already lasting the whole adventuring day

... also wondering if this money might be better spent towards orange prism ioun stone (30k) or prayer bead karma (20k)

Slipperychicken
2013-12-21, 08:32 PM
At 7th level, your WBL is 23,500gp, so either of those are out of the question.

I think the metamagic rod is going to be very handy if you don't want to use higher-level spell slots. Also, I recommend the regular, since the lesser version will get phallic humor thrown at you every time you mention your "lesser rod of extend". And heaven help you if you get it upgraded to a regular one :smalltongue:

Joe the Rat
2013-12-22, 12:14 AM
Vigor spells.

Spore
2013-12-22, 01:30 AM
wondering if it's worth taking extend spell as a level 7 feat for a cleric who is primarily crowd-control/buff..

I think it's too early. Everything you could extend is well within the range of a metamagic rod, which is the superior choice. Fighters need their +1 weapon, rogues need their stealth cloak, you need your extend rod. You're in the levels that could benefit greatly from feats that add the last mundane touches to your build (Toughness, Saving Throw feats) or Summoning feats (Augment Summoning, Extra Summons).

The feat starts being useful 9-10ish, when you can extend things like Freedom of Movement, Greater Magic Weapon or Aura of Doom.