PDA

View Full Version : Question about Psi-Like abilities.

Zytil
2013-12-21, 06:43 PM
So, in psionics, your manifester level determines the maximum number of pp you can spend on a power, right?
But psi-like abilities don't use power points. it just says they work.
So, if i take the Phrenic template at 3 HD, and then use mind thrust as a psi like ability, do i do 1d10(Because i'm not spending power points) or 3d10(Because it doesn't need power points, and my manifester level is equal to my HD.)

I guess what i'm really asking is "Do Psi-Likes act as though you spent the maximum number of power points possible for your manifester level or not"

Zanos
2013-12-21, 06:50 PM
I guess what i'm really asking is "Do Psi-Likes act as though you spent the maximum number of power points possible for your manifester level or not"
Yes.

SRD on Psi-Likes:

All creatures with psi-like abilities are assigned a manifester level, which indicates how difficult it is to dispel their psi-like effects and determines all level-dependent variables (such as range or duration) the abilities might have. When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.

From Phrenic:

Psi-Like Abilities (Sp)
A phrenic creature possesses the psi-like abilities indicated below, depending on its Hit Dice. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Manifester level is equal to the creature’s HD. The save DCs for a phrenic creature’s psi-like abilities are Charisma-based.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-21, 06:50 PM
Psi-like abilities get auto-augmented to full power.

When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.
link for more info (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/overview.htm#psiLikeAbilities)

EDIT: Bah! Psionic Ninja'd~! :smallsigh::smallannoyed: