PDA

View Full Version : Small Dwarves?

TheElfLord
2007-01-18, 01:45 AM
For my homebrew setting, I'm considering making a variety of dwarves that around 4 ft tall. This would make them small creatures. I'm wondering what sort of ramifications this would have on the game and what people think about it.

Bobbis
2007-01-18, 01:50 AM
Dwarf, male
3' 9"+2d4 inches
Dwarf, female
3' 7"+2d4 inches

Wizards of the coast beat ya to it lad.

TheElfLord
2007-01-18, 01:56 AM
Okay, what I should have said was tops out at around 4 ft. So more in the 3'6' to 4' range, which i believe would make them small.

Bobbis
2007-01-18, 02:12 AM
The thing is Dwarves aren't small due to their stocky build, to quote the SRD (it's more detailed in the PHB)

Dwarves average 4 feet tall and weigh as much as adult humans.So unless you de-stockifiy dwarves, they'll still be meduim due to their weight.

Although if you decide to make them small, remember that small equals -2 strength, +2 dex relative to medium.

Lothorus
2007-01-18, 02:31 AM
I believe there was a certain sub-race of dwarves that were small creatures in some splatbook. I'll see if I can find it. At the very least, you could draw a few ideas from them in terms of abilities.

Amiria
2007-01-18, 02:44 AM
Yes, there are Arctic Dwarves (Inugaakalikurit) in Races of Faerūn.

I can't remember everything, but they are small, have +4 Str, -2 Dex, immunity to cold, and an LA (+1 ?) in addition to the normal racial abilities of dwarves. Maybe they have Icecunning instead of Stonecunning.

They are like crazy little dire inuit ! :smallamused:

Thomas
2007-01-18, 04:55 AM
So you want to make your dwarves gnomes.

That was easy.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-18, 11:37 AM
...except for the "dwarven characteristics" part.

clarkvalentine
2007-01-18, 11:41 AM
I believe there was a certain sub-race of dwarves that were small creatures in some splatbook.

There are the Gully Dwarves of Dragonlance infamy...

But you really don't want to play one of those. :smallsmile:

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-18, 11:43 AM
There are the Gully Dwarves of Dragonlance infamy...

But you really don't want to play one of those. :smallsmile:

whaaa!? gully Dwarves are awesome.:smallbiggrin: They actually aren't too bad except for their complete stupidity but that could be fun to role play.

clarkvalentine
2007-01-18, 11:56 AM
whaaa!? gully Dwarves are awesome.:smallbiggrin: They actually aren't too bad except for their complete stupidity but that could be fun to role play.

Depends on the sort of game, I guess. It might be a fun one-shot. Long term game, I bet it'd get old, fast.

CharPixie
2007-01-18, 12:45 PM
adding +2 str, -2 dex would keep them in line with what a dwarf SHOULD be like... however, it would make them easier to grapple and trip. maybe enhance their stability bonuses to compensate? (yes, i'm totally ignoring LA... *whistles*)