PDA

View Full Version : Eberron: The Best and the Brightest - IC

Modron #4723
2013-12-21, 07:01 PM
The sand of the arena glitters under the light of everburning torches spaced evenly about the perimeter. The air is chilly, as it often is on early Spring nights in Karrnath, and your breath makes a thin white plume about you. The first stars of evening twinkle alongside the thin crescents of Vult and Sypheros.

Of more immediate concern are the clearly hostile creatures sharing the space with you. Three are winged, hovering with long necks extended towards you, emitting piercing shrieks as their wicked-looking barbed tails lash impatiently. The others are land-bound - dog-like monstrosities with murderous red eyes. All are clearly constructed beings - amalgamations of metal, stone, wood, and leather, twisted into a parody of life.

A diminutive figure in a vivid purple robe and mask screams "Get them!" from the center of the arena before vanishing from sight. The six constructs spring forward as one.

http://www.my-games-zone.com/images/BestBrightest_Combat1_rnd1.jpg

Roll for initiative - the constructs rolled 20. If you roll higher, go ahead and state your actions. You can assume that the construct closest to you in a direct line is coming straight towards you to attack. No animal companions, familiars, constructs, mounts, or pets are currently with you, but you can assume you have any of your equipment you could reasonably carry.

Your character's position is noted by the first letter of the character's first name in your speech color (Hawk, you're "H2"). The gray circles you are on are stone pedestals, 10' high. The F(1-3)s are the flying constructs, all Large size. The L(1-3)s are the land-bound dog things. The walls of the arena are 30' high and very difficult to climb.

I've included coordinates so you can reference specific spaces (moving to, targeting, etc.)

Modron #4723
2013-12-21, 08:26 PM
Peering at the two different types of construct closest to her, Lacey is fairly certain that they are not Warforged - they lack the ghulra that all born from the creation forges carry. She notes that all have embedded Khyber shards, indicating they are animated by some sort of bound elemental spirit, as is typical of golems and other non-sentient constructs.

Of the two types, the winged ones seem the more solidly constructed. Lacey thinks the Khyber shards animating them may contain an air elemental. Their shape, particularly the tails, reminds her somewhat of a wyvern - these may have similar capabilities. The dog-shaped ones appear to be animated by flame spirits - embers and smoke pour from their jaws as they bound forward.

Darkadvice
2013-12-21, 08:55 PM
Hawk makes the motions of dusting off his Glammerweave Jacket, while pulling out his Wand of Magic Missile and making a flourishing wave with the stick grabbing the attention of his pillar bound comrades, as he points to the flying creatures:

"Where does one hide their collection of twenty-foot long flying rust buckets of death? Say what you want about Warforged, at least they fit in a closet. I know it's easier to dupe a Karrnathi Constable than a drunk kobold, but even those walking corpses would have enough eye left to notice three of those things hiding in the garden."

Inspiring Courage using Perform(Act) (Hawk's joking does have a purpose) to give everyone of my allies +3 to Attack and Damage Rolls and +3 on Saves against Charm & Fear effects. Pulling Out Wand as the move action.

stack
2013-12-21, 10:01 PM
"Well, not that I know anything about moving unusual constructs around quietly, but these things can be done. Try not to damage them too badly, I bet I can get plenty of use out of them once they aren't trying to kill us." Quincy quips as he pulls an odd shaped device from his pack. The mirror-covered cylinder spins briefly before he drops it, a strap from his pack grabbing it for the bag to devour as his form splits. how much warning did we have prior to this? I'm assuming his bow is in hand, since we are in an arena.

mirror image, first use doesn't require a check
[roll0] imagesQuincy de'Cannith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=732263)
M LN Human Artificer, Level 6, Init +7, HP 52/52, Speed 30
AC 20, Touch 15, Flat-footed 15, CMD 20, Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 4
variable Composite Longbow +1 (20) +10 (1d8+2, 20x3)
Mithril Chain Shirt +1 (+5 Armor, +5 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition mirror image 6 images

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-22, 08:45 AM
Hyli pats Brother on the back. "We'll be fine Brother, we must be cautious though, no charging until I give the signal."

She draws her shortbow and takes aim at the nearest landbound construct.

Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage if hit [roll2]

Modron #4723
2013-12-22, 09:49 PM
The arena is quickly a flurry of wings and flame. As Lacey studies the dog-creature closest to her, it quickly closes the distance between them. Just short of the pedestal, it tenses itself for a spring. Metal shrieks against stone as its claws fail to find purchase and it tumbles back to the sand.

A flyer swoops down to Kaaravic's level, beating its wings furiously to prevent a collision with the half-orc. Its tail whips out, finding a gap in the druid's armor. The stinger, glistening with venom, bites deeply. Blood flows and Kaaravic begins to feel a bit light-headed.

Another of the runners charges at Hyli. It also springs up to the pedestal and seems for a moment to have found secure footing before Hyli's quickly released arrow sends it to the ground again. A small chunk of its structure with the arrow in it falls away on impact with the arena floor.

Goyius is not quite so lucky. The flyer that dives at him sinks its teeth in and the cook is briefly lifted off his feet, but the creature's grip slips and its momentum carries it past him and into the center of the arena.

Hawk's quips are no shield against flames. One of the canine constructs bounds up and, standing on hind legs with its forepaws against the pillar, opens its jaws and lets forth a gout of fire.

The last of the flyers bears straight towards Quincy. Seven artificers duck in unison as a barbed tail flails inches above their heads. The creature banks sharply, swinging around for another attack.

http://www.my-games-zone.com/images/BestBrightest_Combat1_rnd2.jpg

Kaaravic takes 9 hp damage and must make a DC 12 Fortitude save.

Hyli, you forgot your bonus from Hawk's Inspire Courage - that was enough to shift your miss to a hit. You did 10 points of damage total.

Goyius takes 13 hp damage.

Hawk, you take 9 hp damage - 4 if you make a DC 10 reflex save (piece of cake!).

Anyone except Hyli may act before the creatures' next attacks - Lacey, Kaaravic, and Goyius will be taking their round one actions and Hawk and Quincy their round 2 actions.

Forgot to mention altitude before, but all three of the flyers are currently 15' above the arena floor - which is still considered to be within reach of anyone on a pedestal adjacent to them.

Hazuki
2013-12-22, 10:29 PM
"Forgive my flight." Lacey asks of those around her, as she utters a few arcane words and makes a few gestures with her fingertips that allow her to rise a few inches from the ground, before darting straight upwards about thirty feet above the melee. "But I'd rather not get lashed by likely-poisonous tails, nor wreathed in anything but the buxom. Plus, you're all too far away from each other for my spells to reach enough of you to be any good."

Silently, she's considering exactly which spells she might be able to use to help solve the situation. A web would be useless, with flame-spouting creatures around, speeding up her allies could only affect two at once; and she would be best served doing that while out of danger herself, to include at least one more person in the effect. Summoning monsters, best with protection. Eight useless against these creatures, one more left for protection. It seems as though she'll have to wait until she can get within range of both Hyli and Karaavic.

Casting Fly, moving 30ft up and over to M17.

Mantid
2013-12-22, 10:55 PM
"Ahh!" Goyius yells, patting at himself to make sure all his limbs are still attached. "Why does everything we fight see me as a meal?"

The halfling cook takes a step across the pillar, pulling a small vial and flask of spices out of his pouch. Pouring the content of the vials into the flask, he gives it a couple sharp shakes and hurls it at the flyer that had attacked him.

Tossing an alchemical bomb at F2.

To Hit - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

stack
2013-12-23, 08:25 AM
"Its all those spices, Goyius, all those spices. Get in the bloodstream. The way you smell by the end of the day any one of is is liable to get a bit peckish just walking by you." Twang, an arrow leaps from his bow.

"Now the difficulty with these constructs is that they tend to have rather hard exteriors. Takes a bit of work to get to the more vulnerable bits inside, disrupt the enchantment. Of course we could target the exposed dragonshards, but that would be a shame really. So valuable." twangrapid shot on F3, bardsong +3/+3 factored in
att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

att [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Escheton
2013-12-23, 09:39 AM
"A bitesized morsel with a scent that carries. I'd have eaten you myself by now if I had no knowledge of your preferred means of subterfuge.", spoken ominously with a fang-filled smile directed at the halfling chef. The smile holds as the druid steps off of the platform and out of sight. From it's location emerges a full grown Allosaurus, a huge raptor. With that same devious smile...

Acrobatics to avoid the 1d6 subdual dmg: DC15:[roll0]
standard action wildshape:
Allosaurus

Huge: 15ft space, 15ft reach
+6 Strength, -4 Dexterity, +8 natural armour
Size Modifiers: -2 AC, -2 to hit, +2 CMB/CMD, -8 Stealth

Senses: lowlight, scent
AC: 16 (+8 natural, +0 dex, -2 size)
CMB: +13, CMD:23
Attacks: bite +9 (2d6+7/19–20 plus grab), 2 claws +9 (1d8+7)
Special Attacks: pounce, rake (2 talons +9, 1d8+8)
New location H: N21-23, V: N21-P21.

Darkadvice
2013-12-23, 03:32 PM
If anyone out there thinks fire breathing dogs is scary, they should see the Gnomish, Zilargo Troop that has a Two Headed owlbear that shoots fire and lightning. Having trouble getting a good footing on these nice smooth pillars doggy?"

Hawk takes a careful step back moves his hand through his hair and then makes a motion with the same hand, grinning while tuning his shout to A minor.

"Apdium!"

Hawk uses free action to maintain his performance of inspire courage, uses movement to take a five foot step back, then casts Grease on the Pillar's Edge to make the dog construct need a reflex save. Normally it's a DC15 reflex save to walk across, probably a little harder to pull yourself up/if you were already on uneven footing.

Modron #4723
2013-12-23, 06:24 PM
Hawk's spell comes none too soon. The creature leaps again, and scrambles frantically against the oily surface only to fall back and shakes its head in seeming frustration.

One of Quincy's arrows strikes true. A small blast of fetid air and alchemical ichor dribble from the hole the arrow leaves. The creature comes closer, biting and whipping with its tail again. The tail impales one of the images of Quincy directly through the heart, and it vanishes with a pop.

Lacey rises beyond the reach of the construct dog, but her flight has attracted the unwelcome attention of the flyer that just attempted to make a meal of Goyius. Ignoring the halfling's thrown bomb that briefly covers its back in flame and causes burning chunks of its body to fall away, it angles upward to meet the elf, jagged metal teeth skittering off the magical force protecting her as it sweeps past.

Lacey's former predator has turned its attention towards the terrible lizard Kaaravic has become. It charges with reckless abandon, but can't sink its teeth into the druid's now-scaly hide. Kaaravic is now facing two foes as the flyer, apparently unfazed by his transformation, bites and stabs at him again. The stinger once again finds a vulnerable spot.

Hyli's attacker has given up trying to jump onto her pillar for the time being. It backs up slightly and opens its steely muzzle to loose a cone of flame at the halfling.

http://www.my-games-zone.com/images/BestBrightest_Combat1_rnd3.jpg

Lacey gets an attack of opportunity against F2.

Kaaravic takes another 13 hp damage and will need to make another Fort save (DC 12). He also gets an attack of opportunity against L1. Let's ignore the subdual damage - I'll rule that your transformation to the allosaurus allowed you to "grow" to meet the ground.

Hyli takes 11 hp fire damage, or 5 with a successful Reflex save (DC 10)

F1 and F3 are still 15' up. F2 is now 30' in the air.

Anyone may act. This will be round 2 for Goyius, Hyli, Kaaravic, and Lacey and round 3 for Hawk and Quincy.

Escheton
2013-12-23, 06:53 PM
Kaaravic roars with anger as the stinger bypass his scales and deposit it's venom. Followed by what one would expect from a dinosaur...Carnage.

DC12 fortitude
AoO: Bite [roll1], [roll[2d6+10 not using Grab because he will release for a full attack on his turn anyways.
Full attack against the Flyer:
Claw1 [roll2], [roll3]
Claw2 [roll4], [roll5]
Bite [roll6], [roll7], Grab [roll8]
If any attack kills the flyer, next attack is on dog instead.

Hazuki
2013-12-23, 06:56 PM
Now staying quiet in order to avoid attracting any more attention from the flying constructs, Lacey swiftly descends through the air in order for her magic to have easy reach towards both Hyli and the Kaaravic. Her eyes blaze with light for a few moments, surrounding herself and two of the other chosen in magic that should help considerably with the fight.

Moving to 020, descending to 5ft above ground so she's hiding from F2 behind the pillar. And, conveniently, having some things that might try to attack her within K's AoO range.

Haste on Lacey, Hyli, and Kaaravic.

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with one natural or manufactured weapon. The attack is made using the creature's full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a speed weapon, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can't use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)

A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.

All of the hasted creature's modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject's normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creature's jumping distance as normal for increased speed. Multiple haste effects don't stack. Haste dispels and counters slow.

Modron #4723
2013-12-23, 06:58 PM
Escheton - your damage on the AoO didn't come through due to what appears to be a formatting error. Please correct.

Awesome dino carnage!

Oh, and you get an extra attack due to Lacey's Haste spell (she is higher in the initiative order).

Modron #4723
2013-12-23, 07:09 PM
Lacey, space O22, 5' off the ground is kind of full of allosaurus. Did you mean O20?

Hazuki
2013-12-23, 07:11 PM
Aye, let's go with that.

Mantid
2013-12-23, 07:14 PM
Goyius sighs and pulls a few bottles out of his satchel. "Should have mixed a different set of drinks this morning," he mutters to himself as he sorts through them, finding the one he wants, he shoves the others back into his pouch. The halfling uncorks the bottle and pours its contents down his throat, shaking his head in disgust. "Still need to work on that one..."

His mind and eyes sharpening as the magical concoction is absorbed into his body, Goyious pulls out anther flask and vial, looking out over the arena as he tries to decide who he'd be the most help to.

Drinking an extract if Bomber's Eye (+10 range on thrown items, +1 insight bonus to hit for 6 rounds)

Stepping to T16.

stack
2013-12-23, 10:37 PM
Quincy snaps off two more shots. "Well, that's a start. Say, after this what should we do for lunch?"F3 again
[roll1d8+5

[roll1d8+5

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-24, 01:52 AM
Seeing the enemy has closed the gap, Hyli drops her bow and draws her battleaxe - a well-worn weapon with a vicious enchanted stone head. Axe now in hand she takes a swipe at the "dog" before her.

Hyli's using a free action to drop the bow in front of her and a move action to draw her axe, taking a single swing with it.

Hyli's Attack - [roll0] - If I'm getting that right it's 11, +1 for higher ground (mounted), +3 for bard song.

Hyli's Damage if hit - [roll1]

Deleted Brother's attack and damage rolls as he's not present <@.@>

Modron #4723
2013-12-24, 01:43 PM
Hyli also needs to make a Reflex save from the dog breathing fire on her.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-24, 01:53 PM
Gah, I'm not usually this brainless, I promise!

Reflex - [roll0]

Darkadvice
2013-12-24, 03:36 PM
I have a dinosaur leaping from a pillar, a mad halfling drinking out of a flask that looks to be the same as the one that set a bird on fire, and a flying elf doing the Cha-cha in the sky. Hard to imagine I'm the performer in the group!

Hawk raises his right hand above his head and spins the wand through his fingers and ignites two balls of red and green arcane force, one from each end of the wand, to spin around the pillar twice before hitting the dog construct knocked on it's back at the base of the pillar.

Magic Missile (3rd)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Modron #4723
2013-12-24, 04:06 PM
Kaaravic and the flying construct come together in a storm of wings, teeth, and claws that ends with the latter falling broken and unmoving to the arena floor, looking like some gargantuan kite that has been abused by children. The canine construct weaves among the stomping feet and flailing wings and breathes fire in a cone that singes the dinosaur and catches Lacey, as well, who bobs not entirely out of the way.

Lacey’s pursuer loops in mid-air, but it swoops down upon Kaaravic, instead. It passes close over the transformed druid’s head, but this time the venomous stinger slides off his scales. The flyer’s underbelly is dangerously exposed as it passes over Kaaravic’s head.

Hyli’s axe bites deeply into the dog creature beneath her. It backs away, its head hanging at a not-quite-right angle and tries its luck with the rampaging dinosaur. It can get no grip on the tail that swishes back and forth over it.

Quincy’s arrows strike with deadly accuracy, but the creature, still beating its wings to stay more or less in place, is ready for him this time and lashes out in return, quickly following up with another bite and the tail’s back swing. Three more of Quincy’s images disappear in the onslaught.

Hawk’s magic missiles send the construct scurrying away to find easier (or at least, more accessible) prey.

Goyius, standing alone in a zone of relative tranquility, discovers that he was not as badly hurt as he originally thought.

http://www.my-games-zone.com/images/BestBrightest_Combat1_rnd4.jpg

F1 is down

Lacey takes 4 hp fire – I went ahead and rolled her save. Kaaravic will take 2 hp fire damage or 1 with a DC 10 Reflex save.

Kaaravic gets an attack of opportunity on F2.

Quincy’s ranged attack provokes an attack of opportunity (technically, the last one should have as well, but I forgot and it kind of makes sense since I described the monster as being in the midst of turning around to attack again.) That plus a hit and a near miss have whittled down the mirror images to only two.
F3 and F2 are 15’ off the ground.

Anyone may act. I’ll NPC Lacey. This will be round 3 for Goyius, Hyli, Kaaravic, and Lacey and round 4 for Hawk and Quincy.

Modron #4723
2013-12-24, 04:21 PM
Lacey floats away from the havoc Kaaravic is wreaking, rising to the level of her companions still on pillars. "Anyone fancy seeing what the world looks like to a giant?"she asks.

Move to R14. Ready enlarge person.

Escheton
2013-12-24, 04:50 PM
Kaaravic turns, ignoring the hounds at his clawed feet for the time being and focuses his fury on the other winged construct.

AoO: Bite [roll0], [roll1], Grab [roll]1d20+20

Now, 2 things could happen.

1: I succeed at the AoO grapple:
Maintain grapple: [roll2]
If successful:
Automatic Bite from Grab: [roll3]
Damage grapple action: Bite [roll4]
Free Rake1: [roll5], [roll6]
Free Rakes2: [roll7], [roll8]

2: If the AoO grapple was unsuccessful:
Bite Bite [roll9], [roll10], [roll11](Grab at -20 to avoid grapple condition myself)
Bite Bite [roll12], [roll13], [roll14](Grab at -20 to avoid grapple condition myself)
Claw [roll15], [roll16]
Claw [roll17], [roll18]

Escheton
2013-12-24, 04:51 PM
Lets fix that AoO grapple shall we?
[roll0]

stack
2013-12-26, 04:16 PM
Seeing his rapidly diminishing supply of illusory clones, Quincy hops off the pillar, trying to tuck into a ball as he hits, then rises loosing arrows again.5 ft to the left
Acrobatics [roll0]

Rapid shot if not prone, same target, otherwise move to stand and add +2 to the first attack

Att [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Att [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Mantid
2013-12-27, 09:13 PM
"Well, Quincy," Goyius says, watching his alchemical ingredients mix, "I would suggest we pay the kitchen a visit once we're out of here and see if they have any sustainable victuals for us to pilfer. Otherwise we are having fish. Again."

The halfling flings his bomb at another of the constructs and begins to fetch more items out of his satchel. "Hyli! Next time I request you hunt and resupply our foodstuffs, I am forbidding you from going anywhere near a river, lake, ocean, or other large, fish-filled body of water!"

Alchemical bomb at F3. F2 is alternate target.

To hit - [roll0]
Fire Damage - [roll1]

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-28, 11:50 AM
Hyli laughs at Goyius' commentary. "Fish or starvation, it's not a particularly hard decision from my point of view!" She brings her axe down in a massive two-handed swing, attempting to finish off the steel canine in front of her.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Modron #4723
2013-12-28, 09:24 PM
mistformsquirrl: Recheck the current map. Hyli is on top of a 10' pillar and the nearest opponent is out of reach. You may want to rethink your turn.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-28, 09:42 PM
Sorry, I think I was imagining I'd already jumped off the pillar in the previous round where I attacked with my axe. Can I jump down now and attack as I land? (Basically do what I already did but end my turn next to the pillar on the ground ala a 5' step?)

Modron #4723
2013-12-28, 09:45 PM
Sure, I'll call that a move action and you'll need to make a DC 15 Acrobatics check.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-28, 10:15 PM
Acrobatics check: [roll0]

Dice don't fail me now!

*edit*

Dice done failed me. *Sadness*

Darkadvice
2013-12-29, 10:05 PM
Hawk sees that for the most part he's been left alone and all attention is focused on the Dinosaur. He realizes when the show has changed center spot and decides to take a break He takes out a pipe,

"Need a light..."

Aims his wand to fire two more missiles at the scampering dog, then uses the hot end to light his pipe.

1d4+1
1d4+1

Sits down on the edge of the pillar and waits for this to die down in the next second or so.

Darkadvice
2013-12-29, 10:06 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Modron #4723
2013-12-30, 05:35 PM
Kaaravic plucks a second flyer from the sky. What follows isn't pretty - the construct is very quickly ripped to pieces. One of the dog constructs hops here and there to avoid the wreckage and leaps in for a solid bite on the transformed druid's scaly thigh. A second, barely heeding Hawk's magic missiles, hurls itself into the fray, sinking its fangs into the dinosaur's tail. Blood flows and there is a sizzling sound of cooked dinosaur flesh.

Hyli stumbles when she hits the ground. The construct she so severely damaged is on her almost before she picks herself up, getting in two good bites before the halfling is fully on guard. The smell of dinosaur barbeque soon has a halfling top note to it.

Quincy also stumbles as he falls, only barely getting to his feet before the flyer swoops above him, dripping fire and pieces of it's body after Goyius' hurled bomb landed true. The long neck jets out, closing teeth around another illusory artificer. The Quincy triplets are now twins.

http://www.my-games-zone.com/images/BestBrightest_Combat1_rnd5.jpg

Quincy and Hyli both failed their Acrobatics rolls and were prone. In interest of time, I went ahead and assumed both used a move action to stand up rather than remain prone. Quincy took 1 hp nonlethal damage from the fall. Hyli took 2 hp non-lethal damage and provoked an attack of opportunity standing. The AoO and subsequent attack were both successful. She takes 19 points of damage total from the two attacks, 5 of which is fire damage.

Kaaravic has finished off F2. L3 provoked an AoO which I went ahead and rolled to speed things up - a miss. Both L1 and L3 attacked successfully, dealing a total of 20 hp damage, 9 of which was fire.

Current status of opponents: F1 and F2 are down, F3 and L2 are severely damaged, L3 is moderately damaged, and L1 has not been hurt yet.

Anyone may act. This will be round 4 for Goyius, Hyli, Kaaravic, and Lacey and round 5 for Hawk and Quincy.

Hazuki
2013-12-30, 06:33 PM
The mage lets the silver shimmer surrounding her palm dissipate as she realizes that either nobody opts to take advantage of her magic, something she would have to take care of in the future so as to not waste a spell for the day. She also happens to notice the fact of many of her companions stumbling off of the pillars and, with a small smile on her face, decides that it would be best to aid them with one of her more minor abilities. She darts through the air, gliding along it as though it were the most natural thing in the world, to hover above Hyli, who she offers an encouraging pat on the shoulder to. "It will shift to your left momentarily; try to swing from the same direction, opposing its mass and momentum." There would be time for teasing later.

Moving to S20, five feet above the ground, and using Diviner's Fortune on Hyli.

Hyli gets a +3 insight bonus on all of her attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for one round.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-31, 01:17 AM
Hyli gets to her feet roughly, clearly injured, but equally unwilling to back down. Hearing her comrade's advice and feeling the warmth of her hand seems to temporarily reinvigorate her, and once again Hyli wades into her opponent, making an overhead swing with her battleaxe in both hands.

Attack roll [roll0] (Includes Diviner's Fortune)

Damage [roll1]

stack
2013-12-31, 12:50 PM
Quincy smoothly let's off two more arrows. "You lot are hogging all the excitement. I've only got one and it can't even hit me."F3, rapid shot [roll0]
damage [roll1]

[roll2]
damage [roll3]

Quincy de'Cannith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=732263)
M LN Human Artificer, Level 6, Init +7, HP 52/52, Speed 30
AC 20, Touch 15, Flat-footed 15, CMD 20, Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 4
variable Composite Longbow +1 (14) +10 (1d8+2, 20x3)
Mithril Chain Shirt +1 (+5 Armor, +5 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition mirror image 2 images

Modron #4723
2013-12-31, 01:16 PM
Second shot is a threat - go ahead and roll to confirm.

stack
2013-12-31, 01:17 PM
confirm[roll0]
damage [roll1]

bows are 20x3 crits

Mantid
2013-12-31, 11:35 PM
"I'm just glad you are out of my sight now, Quincy!" Goyius shouts. "Seeing so many of you always make me... dizzy."

Seeing that is relatively alone in the fight and most of the monsters have moved out of his sight or farther away, the halfling cook edges close tot he edge of the pillar and looks down. Frowning, he checks once more to see if he can help from up on the pedestal. With a sigh, he turns around and lowers himself down, hanging form the edge of the pillar for a moment before pushing himself away and jumping to the ground.

Jumping down as first move action.

Acrobatics- [roll0]

If prone, he will take a move action to stand up, otherwise he'll draw his dagger.

Darkadvice
2014-01-01, 02:29 PM
Hawk sits tapping his knuckles on the pillar to a tune in his head about when halflings come riding in. He aims his wand and fires it again at the same dog.

"I really don't see the point in these little runts still going at it. Some level of self preservation must be in these creatures."

[roll0]
[roll1]

stack
2014-01-01, 02:35 PM
"Goyius, I do try not to spread myself thin."

To Hawk, "Not so much. They follow instructions to the best of their capacity. Still, it means no old loyalties if I can get my hands on them. Dependable, in their way."

Escheton
2014-01-01, 02:52 PM
Kaaravic takes a step backward, gravely injured, and unleashes his fury on the firebreathing dogs. Spreading his attacks among them.

I did not see our bard claim to maintain bardic music, so am rolling without the +3's
Bite [roll0], [roll1]
Claw [roll2], [roll3]
Bite [roll4], [roll5]
Claw [roll6], [roll7]

Modron #4723
2014-01-02, 06:25 PM
Lacey’s magical inspiration appears to be enough to give Hyli the edge she needs - her axe swing cleaves the construct’s head completely away from its body in a shower of embers. Quincy’s shots are equally successful. The last flyer is carried by its momentum into the arena wall, striking with a crash before tumbling into a broken heap.

Goyius catches his foot before dropping, causing him to hit the ground in a glorious bellyflop, knocking the wind out of him (6 hp non-lethal damage). By the time he's regained an upright position, the battle is over. Between Hawk's magic missiles and the fury of the Kaaravicasaurus, the remaining canines are quickly (and extremely violently) rendered down to their component pieces.

As the combatants catch their breaths, a barely perceptible "ripple" spreads across the arena. The 30' walls are now only 10' high and the several rows of benches beyond them are now visible. The terrible flyers and flame-spewing dogs now appear to be nothing more than splintered wooden frameworks, held together with rope and twisted metal joints.

The purple-clad figure reappears in the center of the areana and lifts his mask to reveal the homely gnomish face of Galvyn Kormar d'Sivis, Warden of the Practice Field. "Oh, my goodness! I had hoped that you would leave at least some of the dummies intact!" He scurries towards the pile of rubble surrounding Kaaravic, then seems to think better of approaching the slavering bladetooth and rushes to inspect the remains of the lone flyer brought down by Quincy's arrows and Goyius' fire bombs instead. "You were quite...thorough." He half-heartedly attempts to fit one of the wing-struts back together. "Most impressive," he adds grudgingly.

The Practice Field, located in the Tower 13 of The Twelve's floating base of operations, combines several types of illusory magic, particularly phantasm and shadow effects. It can be used to simulate a wide variety of conditions and combatants. The upshot of all this is that much of what occurs here is only quasi-real. No characters' expendables have actually been used and damage taken is minimal - minor cuts and bruises:
Kaaravic has taken 4 damage, Hyli 3 and everyone else 1.

Again, thanks for your indulgence on this somewhat unconventional start. I realize that you may have acted somewhat differently if you had known the full context - this is the hazard of trying to drop the "audience" into the middle of the action when they are also the protagonists. I appreciate you all running with it and creating fun character interaction in the process.

Great job, all! Everyone gets 600 XP (would have been a lot more if it were real and you were in any actual danger).

More filling in on what lead to the arena (and what happens from here) to come, but feel free to talk amongst yourselves or to Galvyn in the meantime.

Hazuki
2014-01-02, 07:04 PM
"I get that a lot." Lacey mentions with a suggestive tone of voice, as the illusions slip away, along with the faux nature of her flight, allowing her to land firmly on the ground with naught but a gentle thud. She stretches out her arms besides her halfling compatriot, and flashing her a smile as she does so. "Nice work, Hyli. And feel free to ask if you want my magic fingers again." She gives a gleeful grin to the shorter woman, before remembering that they remain in front of a professional that's unrelated to the somewhat more relaxed banter she could otherwise share in a similar situation, or when the adrenaline of battle is still running through her veins.

In order to recover some composure in front of somebody who is slightly more likely to tattle to her House about inappropriate comments, she straightens up her posture again and holds her hands together. After a few moments of analyzing the battlefield, she lets her curiosity run free for a moment to consider anything that might help her in the event she encounters such mechanisms again in the near future. Of course, she already has some measure of knowledge regarding most things that are worth knowing, but being in the presence of the devices and training fields themselves is sure to spark something that may have been forgotten while poring over tomes and libraries constantly.

Knowledge checks for everything related to the training fields! And Diviner's Fortune to boost 'em.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (Engineering): [roll1]
Knowledge (History): [roll2]
Knowledge (Local): [roll3]
Knowledge (Nobility): [roll4]

Spellcraft for good measure: [roll5]

And Knowledge (Nobility) to know more about Galvyn Kormar d'Sivis: [roll6]

stack
2014-01-02, 08:47 PM
Quincy carefully unstrings and shoulders his bow. "Bah, you know I'll be up half the night helping you put them back together. I keep saying you need more construct and less illusion. Why if I had enough adamantine ore, we'd never have to put them back together."

He looks over the wreck of the flyer he brought down. "Still, my shooting wasn't bad today. Guess I've got that sight dialed in, finally. Good news, Kaaravic, I won't put any more shafts in your back!"

Escheton
2014-01-02, 10:44 PM
Fight concluded and victory his, Kaaravic sprays his dinosaur urine and assorted pheromones on his first kill and transforms back into his usual orkish self.
To Quincy: "To be fair, my back is usually a fairly large target when archery becomes the sport of the moment.". And at anybody looking at him funny for dousing the construct: "What? I killed it, it's mine. I can't eat it, so I marked it. Do with it as you wish, though"
He lays his hand on one of the rune-carved slates on his kilt, mumbles a few words and draws healing from the emblazoned runes, now dormant for the day.

Minor schema: cure light wounds[roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-03, 06:08 PM
Hyli shakes herself off briefly, then let's out a halfling war whoop. "AYAH!"

She smiles at the wreckage of her team's handiwork. "That was good exercise. Shame I couldn't bring Brother along, he's going to get pudgy if I can't work him out more often."

She gives Lacey a wink. "And you are always welcome on that account, hah! Though I really shouldn't let myself get carried so far into battles like that.. or at least should have remembered my shield..." She gestures halfheartedly to the wooden shield still strapped around her back.

Mantid
2014-01-03, 08:45 PM
"I can't believe we were required to go through this," Goyius complains, idling trying to dust his clothing free of non-existent dirt. "Would be wonder to be called in by the Twelve to have a nice discussion over a well prepared meal for a change..."

The halfling sighs and walks to join his companions. "Field training. Practice fights. How much more of this are we expected to endure?"

stack
2014-01-03, 10:26 PM
"Oh its fun. Actual field work involves quite a bit more trudging through rain and mud and less thrilling heroics."

Hazuki
2014-01-03, 11:04 PM
"You needn't mark all your possessions, Kaaravic. That's what a toilet is for." Lacey teasingly chides the half-orc, staying by the halfling's side and far away from the scatologically-doused artificial cadaver as she does so.

"I wouldn't object to a lovely meal." She chimes in on Goyius' part of the conversation. "Lovely food, poisoned wines, the cleavage of Lady d'Lyrandar..." And she couldn't even get into trouble for that statement, because she doesn't state which Lady D'Lyrandar she's thinking of in particular. That is how it works in her mind, at least. "Not to say the road isn't fun as well, nor the fighting. You haven't lived until you've seen the topless Tiranti tribes of the Talenta Plains, battling a dire boar dressed in nothing but a hope, a prayer, and boar-hide tanned by their greatest leatherworkers." She lets the thought hang in the air for a moment. "Now it's up to you lot to decide if that's a real tribe, or if I just made it up." She says, joining in with the casual banter now that she's given the field a good seeing-to and the casual banter is continuing. Plus, somebody urinating publicly will be seen far more than her saying naughty things.

"I can remind you of your shield next time, Hyli dearest." The elf comments, brushing back a few strands of her curiously-colored hair. "If you don't mind me being somewhat forthright. But never worry; I don't bite hard." She admits, knowing all too well how blunt she gets in battle and masking her nervousness about the fact with her standard somewhat-dirty sense of humor.

Mantid
2014-01-03, 11:08 PM
"You make it sound like I've agreed to be become some tribal halfling, doomed to spend the rest of my days wandering across the Talenta Plains following the herds and smelling like their dung. Ah, no offense, Hyli.

"Just think of the opportunities we'll have once we're set loose. Traveling across Khorvaire to its farthest corners. Meeting cultures and people of every color and description. Tasting their food and sampling their comforts!

"Sure, there's hard work to be done. But you'd be surprised how many problems can be solved with a fine meal and a good rest. Clears the head and puts everyone in a better mood!"

stack
2014-01-04, 01:35 PM
Quincy just rolls his eyes at Lacey, then turns to Goyius. "Tasting food and sampling their magic. There are entire different systems of magic, which supports my idea that they are just obtuse ways of getting at the underlying reality, which is much simpler. No hand waving or bat guano. No offense to anyone here, but the basic principles that actualize all of it can and should be understood so they can be properly harnessed. Just look at what we have accomplished with binding and constructs, the various devices and inventions we can make."

He pauses when he realizes that they are all tired of this spiel. "Right, I know. So, lunch?"

Hazuki
2014-01-04, 01:38 PM
"Are you going to explain the underlying concepts and mechanisms of the soup spoon if we say yes?" Lacey asks as the artificer offers the opportunity for lunch, despite the warden of the training fields standing just a few feet away and likely wanting to say at least one thing more to the gathered group.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-04, 08:06 PM
Hyli gives Goyius a dirty look, but thinks better of provoking the group's chef.

stack
2014-01-05, 02:49 PM
Quincy flashes a quick smile. "Well, there's more to the common spoon then you might expect. Volume, bowl shape, functional curve of the handle. Then there's ascetic matters." He stops, feeling the joke was complete.

Modron #4723
2014-01-06, 12:57 AM
Earlier:

It has been a hectic few weeks for Hyli. Although there is much that is familiar in Gatherhold, the location of the Jorasco enclave she was asked to report to, the ways of her new brethren have often been difficult to follow and both sides have adapted to one another with only mixed success. When the Lady seneshal Valera summoned Hyli, the ranger naturally assumed that it was due to the unfortunate misunderstanding regarding the Lady's herb garden and appropriate grazing space for Brother. Instead, she was informed that she would be departing at once to serve the House at the Twelve. In between the Lady's terse explanations of the foundation's purpose, Hyli got the distinct impression that this transfer was in no way sanctioned by her Ladyship; indeed, the enclave leader seemed mystified as to why a crude barbarian would be chosen for such an honor - apparently it was requested by someone much higher up.

Although Hyli would no doubt have preferred to make the trek on threehornback, the House insisted on the greater speed of the lightning rail, going so far as to pay for a livestock berth for Brother. The few friends that she had made in the short time she had been an official member of the House assured her that such largese was highly unusual for the notoriously tight-fisted Jorasco leadership. Apart from an altercation about whether two-legged passengers were allowed to ride in the cattle carriages (the Orien conductor quickly decided that he would rather be anywhere than in a smelly wooden box arguing with a primitive halfling), Hyli's journey went fairly smoothly.

She was met at the Korth station by a half-elf whose tribal-sounding name of "Hawk" was entirely out of keeping with his urbane manner. Between the myriad wonders of the ancient city, larger than any Hyli had ever imagined, and the khorovar's seemingly inexhaustible supply of jovial banter, Hyli found her senses nearly overwhelmed. Yet, all that was nothing compared to their destination.

Nothing could have prepared Hyli for the sight. Thirteen stubby stone towers, held together in a star pattern by a network of bridges, float in lazy defiance of gravity above the solemn fountains and statuary of Wollvern park. The dinosaur and two humanoids are ushered onto a wide stone platform by a bored Lyrandar functionary who exchanges brief pleasantries with Hawk. Hyli is just barely able to keep Brother from bolting in panic when the platforms lifts from the ground and into a hole at the bottom of the center tower.

A human adolescent boy, whose stringy hair hanging over his face made it easy for him to avoid making eye contact with anyone, met them at the top and shyly (and nearly inaudibly) offered to take Brother to a stable. Whatever reservations Hyli may have had were dispelled by the Vadalis heir's easy manner with the large beast and Brother's surprisingly quick acceptance of the youth. After that came a journey through stone hallways, across bridges, and many boisterous greetings between Hawk and the various people met along the way (accompanied by a dizzying array of names and brief encapsulated histories that Hyli had no hope of remembering). Finally, Hyli found herself in a small, but quite comfortable, salon, face to face with the other four members of the team she had just become a part of. The strangers, with their open, informal manner, quickly put the halfling at her ease. Things were just beginning to get comfortable when a gnome in odd ceremonial garb pattered in. "What are you waiting for?" he demanded fussily. "I'm supposed to run your new team through a combat test - the Field is ready." He paused for no more than a second, as if expecting the party to immediately teleport themselves there. "Move! You're not the only ones waiting to use it, you know!"

Modron #4723
2014-01-07, 05:42 PM
Lacey (and the rest of the team) have a bit of first-hand knowledge of the Field already, having trained there together from time to time. The field can simulate a number of environments - from a lava pit to ocean. The pillars are actual, real matter and can be reshaped and expanded or reduced as needed. The construct opponents were two of about a half dozen basic types, each of which can be further customized through the magical effects inherent to the arena. Lacey can deduce or is aware of a number of other technical details that are not particularly relevant for game purposes. Besides combat training (either with the "dummies", sparring with team mates, or, very occasionally, live hostile creatures), the Practice Field is often used to test new magical devices and spells.

Galvyn Kormar d'Sivis has been an institution at the Twelve for decades. He was part of the research team that helped apply elemental binding techniques to airships and the lightning rail. He is accomplished in artifice, but illusion magic is his forte. He's about 140 years old and it's said that he manifested his dragonmark much later in life than most. He doesn't speak about his early life, but rumor has it that he was a political activist and idealist who ran afoul of the Trust and may well have spent his life in prison had House Sivis not pulled some strings. He has no known family and seems never to sleep. He has a reputation for being crusty and acerbic, but in such a generalized manner that few take offense.

Modron #4723
2014-01-07, 06:12 PM
Galvyn snaps a golden pince nez with greenish lenses onto his prodigious nose. His eyes appear comically enoromous when he looks up sharply at Quincy's remark about adamantine. "Why, young Master Quincy, anyone would think you a raw apprentice! Forgotten Tolen's Law of Thaumaturgical Resonances, have we? Adamantine is one of the seven proscribed substances when combining phantasmal and transmutational effects. Unless, of course, you like picking metallic shards out of your innards, that is." He shakes his head sadly. "Education these days clearly doesn't include enough beatings - helps sharpen the memory."

He goes back to work, but is distracted again by Kaaravic's triumphal display. He whips aside his pince nez and stands aghast, glasses slipping through his fingers and his jaw dropped nearly to his chest. Kaaravic should be proud - it's not every day that Galvyn is at a loss for words. With a reddening face, the gnome pulls a wand from a belt tube and rushes over to the now urine-reeking mess. He looks at the druid, still wordless, with his wand hand twitching. Finally, he replaces the wand and pulls out a small glass globe with a splinter of Eberron shard inside that Quincy recognizes as a dweomercraft trinket.

A soft white light comes from the trinket, which Galvyn runs over construct wreckage, leaving dry, clean wood and leather in its wake. Muttered, incoherent imprecations are the only sounds that come from the Warden as the group continues to banter around him. When he is finished, he looks at them in surprise. "What are you all standing around for? Didn't I tell you that you're wanted in the White Office, right away?" One look at the party makes it clear that he has not mentioned this. Flustered, he turns his back on the others and gets back to work, muttering "Well, never mind that, off with you. You know Alpha doesn't like to be kept waiting."

The White Office is the administrative center for the troubleshooter corps (which consists of several small groups like your own). Alpha will be described when you meet him (assuming you obey the summons).

stack
2014-01-07, 09:09 PM
"Tolen's Law, Tolen's Law. Tolen's Law clearly doesn't apply when you dampen the resonance's with etheric modulation." You'd think he did his crating by banging two stones together. "But off to the conspicuously uncolored office!"

Hazuki
2014-01-07, 09:20 PM
"What do you think of Tolen's Law, Goyius?" Lacey asks with a smile on her face as she looks towards the little chef, normally quite interested in conversing about knowledge, but also having enough knowledge to know that getting between boys and their toys is akin to a death sentence for one's patience. Far more fun to share a little conversation with the diminutive dilettante of dishes.

Mantid
2014-01-08, 06:08 PM
"Tolen's Law?" Goyius replies. "I believe that was explained to me once. Don't remember much about it, however. Not much need for phantasmal forces. I only use a little to add a bit of taste or a pleasant scent. Small doses of most metals won't harm you, so there may be formulae and recipes that call for adamantine..."

The halfling's gaze drifts off as he thinks to himself for a moment before snapping his fingers. "Ah! I have heard of adamantine being used for garnish before. Well, a rumor really. Paper then sheets of adamantine, cut and pressed to decorate dishes at banquets. Heard it was all the range among the house Cannith elites.

"Quincy, you wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you? I've always wondered, if it were true, how it tasted. I mean, gold leaf is tasteless and simply dissolves in your mouth, but it's a rather soft metal. I can only imagine the effort that goes into making adamantine leaf. Makes it hard to imagine it being rolled so thin as to not effect the taste or to so easily breakup in the mouth."

Escheton
2014-01-08, 07:11 PM
"Hmm, that reminds me. I need to have an adamantine falchion crafted when next I have a windfall." Without hesitation or pause Kaaravic walks with determination to the requested room.

stack
2014-01-08, 09:42 PM
Quincy pauses in thought. "Hmm, haven't seen it done myself, but I don't spend much time at the fancy tables. The mechanical force needed would be tremendous, but I suppose with the proper enchantments it could be done. I can't imagine it would be good for you though. Tiny, indestructible razors in your stomach...yeck."

Modron #4723
2014-01-09, 03:52 PM
The party leaves Galvyn, still grumbling, in the arena. The Practice Field is located at the apex of Tower 13; the White office is four floors down, in the base. The group has hardly gone fifty paces when Goyius is bowled over by six and a half feet of angry human.

Boran d'Deneith is a mountain of a man, his iron gray hair, beard, and bearskin cloak mixing in such a confused tangle that one could be forgiven for mistaking him for a shifter, although few would be so foolhardy as to make this observation out loud. He is the leader of Sapphire, another group of troubleshooters that often competes with Vermillion for choice assignments.

"Watch where you're going, shorty!" he bellows automatically. "Oh, it's you." He lifts the cook to his feet before continuing in his usual non-indoor voice. "How in the name of the Sovereigns did a bunch of clowns like you get this assignment? And where do you come off bumping us out of OUR practice session? We had that locked in for weeks."

Hazuki
2014-01-09, 04:06 PM
"Good day, Ser d'Deneith. We received these privileges because the people in charge evaluated us differently from yourself. That is how this particular chain of command works." Lacey asks the tall man as he bellows and beats his chest like a common ape. "If you wish to register a complaint, do so through the proper channels, as attempting to demoralize us has two likely results; we will be demoralized, and more likely to fail on our task, which means innocent people will suffer. Or, we will not be demoralized, and you will make yourself look like something of a fool. Which, as the leader of Sapphire, you most assuredly are not." The elf tells him, meeting the man's eyes quite calmly as she explains the scenario.

"Now, do you have anything you wish to share with us that will be productive? If not, I would appreciate it if you would let us be on our way."

stack
2014-01-09, 04:09 PM
"They were having trouble with the mercy settings, didn't want any of you to get killed. I'm sure you'll get rescheduled once its safe for adventurers of your caliber."

Modron #4723
2014-01-09, 04:26 PM
Boran seems oddly deflated by Lacey's coldly polite reply. Quincy's sarcasm renews his righteous anger. "Watch yourself, little man." His face twists into what might be interpreted as a sardonic smile. "If they want to send you all in to get killed before sending in the pros, no skin off my nose." He glances at the rest of the party and notices Hyli for the first time. "You're the new 'rasco, right? Let me know if you get tired of these losers and want to hang with the big dogs."

stack
2014-01-09, 04:39 PM
"Bored now. Don't stand too close to this one, Hyli, proximity appears to reduce intellect." Quincy shrugs and turns to move on.

Hazuki
2014-01-09, 04:42 PM
Lacey gives a shake of her head as Quincy gets into another wand-comparing argument with one of the other members of the House and decides that it would be best to let them have their fun. Again. While waiting, she thinks about what she could do with her outfit to amuse herself in the time it takes for the confrontation to resolve and about her familiar left all alone in her quarters. When it ends anyway, she moves along if it's the group's consensus.

Modron #4723
2014-01-09, 04:57 PM
Quincy starts to move and finds his way blocked by another figure, who steps around the corner. Pavaelor d'Medani is a sallow-faced half-elf with a long scar running from just below his left eye out of sight into his tunic. He always seems to be sneering slightly, as if privately amused by a joke only he is aware of.

"Please do be careful out there. I would hate for anything to happen to any of you." He flips the dagger he has been using to clean his nails and catches it with the point resting on a finger. "Just be careful you don't start a war. Ta." He winks and nods to Boran and the two start off towards the Practice Field, Boran making a point of pushing Kaaravic with a shoulder as he moves past.

Escheton
2014-01-09, 05:05 PM
"Desist your delay, you outdated languid sack of pig intestines. How typical of house Deneith to throw a hissy fit over fair competition. Weak., a look of sheer contempt masks the orc's face. "Come, Alpha is waiting."

stack
2014-01-09, 05:06 PM
Quincy feigns a yawn, then pushes past. "Oh, its you. Well, things to do."

Hazuki
2014-01-09, 05:38 PM
As the group encounters another member of Sapphire's group, Lacey thinks to herself for a moment and takes the opportunity to cast a simple cantrip. Her eyes glow silver as she examines the two men, taking the confrontation in order to give herself ample time to gather information on them.

Detect Magic, then studying Boran and Pavaelor.

Take 10 on all Knowledge (Arcana) for 25.

Take 10 on all Spellcraft for 27.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-10, 11:49 PM
Hyli frowns after the encounter with the Deneith and his group.

"What's his problem?" She gives the group a barely perceptible nudge of her head toward the now distant man. "I thought we were rather all here for the same purpose, right? Seems pointless to be so hostile with other people ostensibly on your own side."

Modron #4723
2014-01-11, 07:46 PM
I'm going to rule that, since the conversation doesn't last very long, Lacey only has time to ID the two strongest auras. Pavaelor is carrying a pair of Goggles of the Inquisitive. Boran has a +1 Vicious Longsword.

Kaaravic notes a faint but distinct odor of dung about Boran and a few bits of straw stuck to his boots. Pavaelor has some bits of red wax under his fingernails and a small smudge of ink on the side of his right hand, just below his little finger.

Modron #4723
2014-01-11, 08:35 PM
The group makes its way without further incident to their destination. The White Office lives up to its name. The walls are flawless white marble, the window dressings and wall hangings the finest Aerenal silk. An enormous bay window behind the snowwood desk looks over the city of Korth; the setting sun glitters off the river in the distance.

To the left of the desk is a sunken area where several chairs are clustered on an enormous tlalusk-skin rug in front of a wide-mouthed fireplace. Seated in the largest of these is Alpha, who stands as you enter. Alpha's pale changeling features, milky eyes, and dead white hair are in keeping with the decor of the room, as is the white sherwani he wears. "Ah, team Vermillion! Welcome." His voice is surprisingly soft and gently as he moves to the center of the room with smooth, languid steps. He wears no shoes. "Thank you so much for joining me. Please, make yourselves comfortable. Help yourselves to a drink, if you wish." He gestures towards a low cabinet on the right side of the room.

As the group sorts themselves out, Alpha strides over to Hyli. "Miss Thundersoul, so pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm sorry that we have not allowed you time to settle in before your first assignment." He returns to his chair, gesturing the others to sit as well. "I'm afraid this is a matter of some urgency." The changeling sets his drink on a side table and steeples his fingers. "What do you know about Thronehold?" he asks the party as a whole.

Mantid
2014-01-12, 02:34 AM
Goyius, who was studying the selection of drinks in the cabinet, stiffens at the mention of Thronehold. "The old capital?" he remarks. "It's neu... neutral territory isn't it? What... what problem could be there that House Deneith can't take care of?"

stack
2014-01-12, 11:40 AM
Quincy helps himself to wine, watering it well. Sitting, he waits to see where the conversation goes, curious as to how it will play out. Alpha had a certain style in these matters.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-12, 07:43 PM
Hyli nods to Alpha, acknowledging his greeting and apology. Otherwise she waits, listening intently and keeping a close eye on Alpha's mannerisms - not that she suspects him of anything, but rather this is just her way when dealing with new and powerful people.

Hazuki
2014-01-12, 08:57 PM
Lacey wanders over to the window after giving a nod of acknowledgement and thanks for Alpha's greeting, making sure to stand by it just enough so that she could leap out of it at a moment's notice, but making sure most of her is hidden by a wall in case of anyone getting an idea to go a-snipin'.

"I know a lot of things about Thronehold, but not what you're about to tell us, I'll wager." The elf comments, looking out over the city.

Escheton
2014-01-13, 12:29 AM
"Treaty of Thronehold? Wood and tin made citizen while scale and fur still gets arrested on sight? Might have heard of it"

Modron #4723
2014-01-13, 01:17 AM
Alpha laughs. "Madame, you are as incisive as always at cutting through the inconsequential. " He raises his brandy glass to her, then nods in agreement with Karaavic. "Indeed, things would have been...different had we had a greater say in matters. 'We' being the Houses as a whole, of course."

Alpha sits with eyes closed for a moment. "The short of it is this. Evidence has come to us indicating the existence of a previously unknown research site. A weapons laboratory of some sort, built and run by...who knows? The most likely candidates have pledged ignorance." He glances briefly at Quincy before continuing. "Your mission is to investigate this facility and discover, if possible, who created it, and why. Naturally, if you find anything of value to the mission of the Twelve, you will collect and bring it here. Standard 50% finder's reward will apply. And you're to do this quietly."

He tosses a linen paper scroll tied with a white ribbon onto the table. "Your map. Before I let you ask any questions you no doubt have, I need to also let you know that there is a very good chance that this same intelligence may have been intercepted by party or parties unknown. So you will need to secure the site as quickly as possible, and you may have competition."

stack
2014-01-13, 09:42 AM
Quincy's eyes light up at the word research. By 'weapons lab' he's positively salivating, to excited to notice any significant glances impugning his house. "A lost research facility? When can we leave? What where they working on?"

The idea of someone else getting there first is outright offensive. "We have to beat them there, make the find. Catalog, recover. Can't have some treasure hunting oafs ruining a precious discovery like this."

Hazuki
2014-01-13, 09:51 AM
Allowing Quincy to ask the questions, since he seems so eager to get to the facility, Lacey doesn't have many of her own questions or statements to make, besides silently acknowledging that she's not going to be the one handling that scroll. Not without examining it first.

"Also, can I pick up Jade before we go?" She adds to the artificer's line of questioning.

Modron #4723
2014-01-13, 11:58 PM
Alpha continues. "I appreciate your enthusiasm, but, although this is an urgent matter as I say, we do have the advantage of relative proximity. I would not expect you to leave before you have made all necessary preparations. First thing in the morning will suffice." He smiles at Lacey. "Plenty of time to recover your familiar."

"To address Master Goyius' concern, the Council feels that a joint effort is preferable in this case. Beyond that, while the Thronewardens are very good at their assigned task, they lack the specialized skills for this mission."

He takes a slow drink of his brandy. "I'm afraid we have very little information beyond the bare location as indicated by this map. The asset who obtained this information is...no longer available to provide more details." Alpha gives a small sigh.

"I will leave the exact details of your travel in your very capable hands - probably the less I know, the better. As of now, consider yourselves under Protocol 7 - no information to be shared outside of the team and myself unless absolutely necessary. Before you go, though, Brun would like you to stop by his lab. I'm sure he has...something interesting for you."

This last is an understatement. Ettem Brun is the troubleshooter corps' resident researcher. Teams are expected to take his latest inventions on missions for field testing. This can be a mixed blessing. Kaaravic probably would not have survived that run-in with an Emerald Claw assault group a few missions back without Brun's Bone-Shattering Orb. On the other hand, Hawk would probably prefer to forget the side effects of the Universal Panacea Cheese that left him with a tail and green skin for a week.

The island of Thronehold is about 150 miles west and a bit south of Korth. Korth is right on the Karrn river, which empties into Scion's Sound. Hawk probably has contacts that can help with the travel arrangements.

stack
2014-01-14, 08:23 AM
Quincy's enthusiasm shows no sign of ebbing at the mention of going to Brun. "I wonder what he's been working on lately. He didn't tell me about his latest project last time I was down there. Have a few ideas of my own to run by him when I get a chance. And the tale thing was NOT my fault. I told his the morphic matrix was too unstable on that thing."

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-14, 01:58 PM
Hyli, eventually pipes up, finally realizing she in fact does have a question.

"You said you wanted this done quietly - but I'm not quite sure what you mean. Is this place guarded? I know we're expecting competition, but is there someone already there? Am I sneaking in, or are you meaning we just need to keep this to ourselves?"

Modron #4723
2014-01-14, 04:39 PM
"Both, actually, Miss Thundersoul. I think we can assume that the facility has some sort of protection, either guards or wards or both, but the goal is to get in without alerting ANYONE on the island. Until we are certain what we are dealing with."

Hazuki
2014-01-14, 04:41 PM
"What of extraplanar creatures?" Lacey asks from the corner of the room, momentarily looking away from the window. "I have a spell that could give us a fair amount of information, but it will require asking them for help."

Modron #4723
2014-01-14, 05:32 PM
Alpha thinks for a moment. "That is a case I had not considered. I will leave it to your discretion."

Escheton
2014-01-14, 07:17 PM
"I can make me and mine move without notice. Given proper terrain I could even guide the group through. But any densely populated area makes that impossible without disguise or invisibility. Lets see what the lab has available then..."

stack
2014-01-14, 10:21 PM
Quincy thinks for a moment. "I can rig something up en route to help with sneaking. Been working on the idea, actually."can make inventions for invisibility and silence

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-15, 01:09 AM
Hyli nods to Alpha. "Well, I'm fairly good at being silent myself. Brother... not so much, but I can leave him at camp just in case we get into trouble."

Mantid
2014-01-15, 04:16 AM
Goyius sighs, walking away from the liqueur cabinet empty handed. "Six Dragonmark Heirs roaming around a city where only one house has an established presence. Can't see how that would arouse any suspicion..." he says grumpily, slumping down into a chair. "I suppose most of us can hide our marks, although it might be beneficial to have one or two of us being recognized as members of a house. Certainly not all of us. I don't suppose the Twelve could provide false identity and traveling papers, would they?"

Escheton
2014-01-16, 08:44 AM
Kaaravic walks over to the bar, his eyes changing to a more reptilian form and small scales form on and around his nose. He opens several of the bottles, smelling the content, then pockets one of the finer liqueurs. Followed by an examination of the map.

Uses a minute of totem transformation for scent. And abuses Alpha's words of helping himself to a drink.

Knowledge Geography: [roll0]

Hazuki
2014-01-16, 02:19 PM
"And my Haste." Lacey adds quietly, as everyone says their own response to Alpha's words without giving him a chance to speak.

Modron #4723
2014-01-16, 09:52 PM
"Actually, the facility is located a short distance outside of the town proper, as you will see on the map. Commercial transport would take you through the port, of course, but there are ways around that. But identity papers can be easily arranged. Wencius, over in the Sivis station in Tower 4 can probably help with that."

Kaaravic discovers that the scroll is indeed a map. It shows the locations of the town of Throneport, the Citadel where Deneith's Thronewardens are based, and the cemetery/battle memorial of White Arch. The location of the suspected facility is noted between the later two.

Pressed for time, so I'll have more detail (and maybe an actual map) by tomorrow.

stack
2014-01-17, 09:28 AM
"What are we waiting for? Let's get our papers and everything together. When is the earliest train to the port?"

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-18, 07:13 PM
"Indeed, let's be off. I can't wait to get going and see what awaits us at the facility. Besides, Brother and I have been in town for far too long!