PDA

View Full Version : looking for sorcerer PrC with full progression.

Deca4531
2013-12-21, 08:24 PM
so I'm playing a sorcerer 1 binder 1 Anima magus 3 Tainted sorcerer 1 but after that I'm not sure. I was thinking blood magus because it has some cool skills and fits the theme of the elderly evil sorcerer who uses blood and taint (corruption) to power his magic, but I'm not married to the idea.

I would like full spell progression or close to it
Bonus feats would be awesome
One that dose not require more than one (or 2 if its really good) feat to enter.

Baroknik
2013-12-21, 10:37 PM
Though it sacrifices a CL at 1, Sand Shaper is pretty sexy on sorcerer builds as it gives a large number of spells known. If your character is NE, the idea of mixing wastelands in with corrupt/blood magic seems to fit in my mind.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-12-21, 10:59 PM
Though it sacrifices a CL at 1, Sand Shaper is pretty sexy on sorcerer builds as it gives a large number of spells known. If your character is NE, the idea of mixing wastelands in with corrupt/blood magic seems to fit in my mind.

It also lets you retroactively shape sand :smallbiggrin:.

Waker
2013-12-21, 11:05 PM
Fiend-Blooded from Heroes of Horrors is decent. Specifically the additional spells learned from Fiendish Sorcery which lets you learn extra spells from any spellcasting list, provided they are from the specified schools or subschools.
Blood Magus also has some potential. They effectively get two item creation feats (Scribe Scroll and Brew Potion), a few defensive abilities and a some other odds and ends.

Deca4531
2013-12-22, 11:40 AM
Sand shaper seems pretty cool, it reminds me a lot of the guy from Naruto who carried that big jar of sand on his back, and at max lv it would be hard to keep you dead.

Fiend-blooded it pretty cool too, it could nab me a few divine spells to buff the party with. The rest of the class is pretty so so.

I was debating on taking currupt scholar since its pretty much tainted sorcerer and blood magus combined, but it lacks the 2 abilitys I really want from blood magus and that's awaken blood and bloodwalk.

Techwarrior
2013-12-22, 06:35 PM
Mage of the Arcane Order is what your looking for. Full casting, bonus feats, and the spellpool. Requires the ability to prepare spells of third level, Cooperative Spell, and a metamagic feat. Arcane Preparation qualifies for the first and second qualification. So for a sorcerer its two feats out.

Fates
2013-12-22, 06:42 PM
Unseen Seer gives some neat abilities, including sneak attack, and lets you learn a few divination spells from any spell list. Also gets lots of skill points.

Wild Mage is...an okay choice. It gets an ability that reduces CL by three, but gives you +1d6 to your caster level any time you cast a spell, make a magic item, etc. If your DM allows it, you can take practiced spellcaster to remove the -3 penalty, and so you just get +1d6 CL to every spell you cast. Also gets some other okay class abilities, though it requires Magical Aptitude, a total throwaway feat.

EDIT: The first four levels of Fatespinner are also pretty good. Give you neat abilities involving increasing spell DCs, forcing enemies to reroll saves, allowing you to reroll saves, junk like that. The 5th level is a trap though. Seal fate isn't worth losing a spellcasting level.

Deca4531
2013-12-22, 08:58 PM
Most of unseen seer it pretty useless to me, and I always hated divination.

Wild mage won't offer much since my CL is almost always maxed due to tainted sorcerer. It also makes save DCs really high. Pluse part of the flavor of my mage is he is senile lol so being immune to confuse is pointless lol.

As for mage of arcane order, the spell pool kinda confuses me and I can't see someone bent on world domination being part of a guild like that. Pluse its really more a wizard class than a sorcerer one.

They are good suggestions, but don't fit well with the direction I'm going with.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-22, 09:02 PM
Incantatrix in PGtF is the standard for a powerful arcane prestige class. Its one feat prerequisite can be obtained via the Otyugh Hole in CS without even having to spend a feat on it. Paragnostic Apostle in CC is also decent. Divine Oracle in CD gives some useful abilities, and you can get its feat prerequisite from the Frog God's Fane in CS without spending a feat on it.

holywhippet
2013-12-22, 09:11 PM
As for mage of arcane order, the spell pool kinda confuses me and I can't see someone bent on world domination being part of a guild like that. Pluse its really more a wizard class than a sorcerer one.

The spell pool is very useful for sorcerers though. It isn't really something you'll want to use in combat as a rule except maybe for a surprise round attack, but you can basically cast spells that you haven't learned. Since sorcerers have a more limited number of spells known it can be very helpful.

Deca4531
2013-12-22, 09:29 PM
Incantatrix in PGtF is the standard for a powerful arcane prestige class. Its one feat prerequisite can be obtained via the Otyugh Hole in CS without even having to spend a feat on it. Paragnostic Apostle in CC is also decent. Divine Oracle in CD gives some useful abilities, and you can get its feat prerequisite from the Frog God's Fane in CS without spending a feat on it.

Incantrix is good but I use it in too many of my builds, wanted to explore a bit. Paragnostic Apostle*is pretty narrow, half its abilitys do the same thing and save DC and CL are taken care of by my taint.

Divine oricle isn't bad for a melee caster but I intend to say far from melee if posible.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-22, 09:43 PM
Dracolexi is my go-to sorcerer PrC these days.

Fates
2013-12-22, 09:55 PM
Most of unseen seer it pretty useless to me, and I always hated divination.

I'm not sure I understand how you can hate an entire school of magic. There are plenty of all-around useful divination spells that don't just involve scrying on people or talking to gods, though both of those are very solid options.

But I digress, here are some others off the top of my head.

Escalation Mage works as a sort of incantrix-lite. Free metamagic, extra HP, etc etc. Not terribly interesting IMO, but a solid option nonetheless.

Archmage is always a nice capstone, for obvious reasons, though the feat tax is a bit much.

Are you a gnome? Because shadowcraft mage.

Deca4531
2013-12-22, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure I understand how you can hate an entire school of magic. There are plenty of all-around useful divination spells that don't just involve scrying on people or talking to gods, though both of those are very solid options.

But I digress, here are some others off the top of my head.

Escalation Mage works as a sort of incantrix-lite. Free metamagic, extra HP, etc etc. Not terribly interesting IMO, but a solid option nonetheless.

Archmage is always a nice capstone, for obvious reasons, though the feat tax is a bit much.

Are you a gnome? Because shadowcraft mage.

It is an interesting class, one I think I might use in the future.it seems like it was made with a lot of flavor but the flavor never made it into the class.

And no I'm either going human (I need a lot of feats lol) or kobold for the pluse 1 sorcerer lv

Deca4531
2013-12-22, 10:28 PM
Dracolexi is my go-to sorcerer PrC these days.

Its not bad but you don't get the really useful stuff till the end lvs

infomatic
2013-12-23, 07:06 AM
The spell pool is very useful for sorcerers though. It isn't really something you'll want to use in combat as a rule except maybe for a surprise round attack, but you can basically cast spells that you haven't learned. Since sorcerers have a more limited number of spells known it can be very helpful.

Second this. Greatly increases the flexibility of sorcerers.

DeAnno
2013-12-23, 07:57 AM
Ruathar is pretty good glue. You can use it to get into Abjurant Champion with just one entry feat (Combat Casting) and it is a good painless mine for qualification skills for other PRCs.

War Mage from Age of Mortals costs 3 feats to get into but gives back 2 metamagic feats and a lot of other good things (If you use Stalwart Sorcerer you can cover one of those 3 feats too.)

Sorcs are pretty hard up for full progression PRCing. Most of the options fall under 1-2 of these categories:

1) High entry cost
2) Good Glue but nothing that useful
3) Obscure Sourcebook

Dipping Arcane Devotee 1 + Enlarge Spell is usually useful on big battlefields, at the cost of moderate skill points and a campaign setting. Dipping Unseen Seer 2 very late will get you an extra high level Spell known (Foresight or Moment of Prescience or something like that) and Silent Spell, at the cost of millions of skill points.

Going Abjurant Champion is fine if you see yourself getting a lot of use out of the swift spells.

Chronos
2013-12-23, 10:13 AM
Given that you already qualify for anima mage and have a few levels of it, why aren't you continuing with it? It's full progression and also gives you an entirely new menu of abilities. I can't see why anyone would spend the level on Binder and then not max out Anima Mage.

Deca4531
2013-12-23, 11:50 AM
Given that you already qualify for anima mage and have a few levels of it, why aren't you continuing with it? It's full progression and also gives you an entirely new menu of abilities. I can't see why anyone would spend the level on Binder and then not max out Anima Mage.

The only reason I went into it was because my other option was more sorcerer lvs that don't give you anything. My intent is to focus and a couple good atk spells and boos them metamagic, I also plan to take a couple lvs in war weaver to I can persist a buff spell and help the party.

infomatic
2013-12-23, 12:13 PM

I was kind of surprised about this, too — presumably he's going Naberius for the faster ability healing w/Tainted Sorceror — but I figured he'd at least take Anima Mage to 5 for the practically free metamagicking.

SorcererX/Binder1/AnimaMage10/TaintedSorcerorY/AnyFullCastingClassZ, besides the casting, will get you up to 6th level vestiges (with the Improved Binding), which means yet more flexibility for the sorceror (The at-will Summon Alien from Zrceryll is very handy).

Deca4531
2013-12-23, 05:41 PM
I was kind of surprised about this, too — presumably he's going Naberius for the faster ability healing w/Tainted Sorceror — but I figured he'd at least take Anima Mage to 5 for the practically free metamagicking.

SorcererX/Binder1/AnimaMage10/TaintedSorcerorY/AnyFullCastingClassZ, besides the casting, will get you up to 6th level vestiges (with the Improved Binding), which means yet more flexibility for the sorceror (The at-will Summon Alien from Zrceryll is very handy).

I browsed through a few of the abilities they grant, but its a class design a little foreign to me and I'm not totally comfortable playing with it yet. However I intend to take two levels of War Weaver and a level of sand shaper to grab some lower level buffs then persist them through the weave.