PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Decisive Strike with a bow.

Snowbluff
2013-12-21, 11:04 PM
I must have it. I plan to hunt some vampires soon.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-21, 11:08 PM
I must have it. I plan to hunt some vampires soon.

dip all your arrows in garlic. then bathe in garlic. then embroider holy symbols from every religion you can find into your clothing, tattoo them to your skin, braid them into your hair. then use magic to make whatever weapons or armor you have amplify light based magic. then be sure not to trust anything that spells its name as a backwards version of what the vampire's name is. if the owner of the castle invites you in and mentions that rest is good for the blood stake them there, if the turn out to be human apologize to the corpse then burn it so the vampire can't eat from it.

Snowbluff
2013-12-21, 11:09 PM
Or I could just shoot them with arrows.

I do mean the monk ACF. Don't worry, I plan to bathe in holy water before hand.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-21, 11:12 PM
well in that case, perhaps try to convince the DM that using the arrow as a stabbing weapon (as though you had caught it with snatch arrows) should allow you access? my expertise is mostly pathfinder and even in that I have very limited monk experience, so I apologize for not being much help here.

Averis Vol
2013-12-21, 11:30 PM
I think shou disciple allows you to flurry with any martial weapon. barring that option, if you can swing pathfinder stuff the zen archer archetype should do it.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-21, 11:38 PM
bathe in holy water

Don't waste all that holy water. Just buy/commission one of those fake lapel flowers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUx1xFJRM3E) (like the kind that some clowns use) and fill the reservoir with holy water so you can spray suspicious people with it to determine if they're vampires*. If the victim isn't a vampire, then you can play it off as a light-hearted prank. It's also pretty lulzy if you can pull it off.

*If your GM makes you roll to hit, you're swinging at flat-footed touch AC with full BAB and an archer's Dexterity, which should be a practically guaranteed hit even if you take a -4 nonproficiency penalty. If you get the victim to lean in and smell the flower, or take a close look at your badge/lapel pin/etc, that should give a bonus to hit IMO. It shouldn't be too hard to manufacture one out of animal guts or something.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-21, 11:41 PM
Don't waste all that holy water. Just buy/commission one of those fake lapel flowers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUx1xFJRM3E) (like the kind that some clowns use) and fill the reservoir with holy water so you can spray suspicious people with it to determine if they're vampires*. If the victim isn't a vampire, then you can play it off as a light-hearted prank. It's also pretty lulzy if you can pull it off.

*If your GM makes you roll to hit, you're swinging at flat-footed touch AC with full BAB and an archer's Dexterity, which should be a practically guaranteed hit even if you take a -4 nonproficiency penalty. If you get the victim to lean in and smell the flower, or take a close look at your badge/lapel pin/etc, that should give a bonus to hit IMO. It shouldn't be too hard to make.

alternatively just make it out of special materials and use acid instead of holy water. there's nothing to raise if the corpse is melted down and you can keep your conscience clean in the knowledge that clearly holy-acid only burns the flesh and bone of the impure. warning: do not test on yourself, your deity of choice hates people who tempt fate.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-21, 11:46 PM
alternatively just make it out of special materials and use acid instead of holy water. there's nothing to raise if the corpse is melted down and you can keep your conscience clean in the knowledge that clearly holy-acid only burns the flesh and bone of the impure.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/smiles/notsureifserious.jpg

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-21, 11:48 PM
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/smiles/notsureifserious.jpg

never serious...just sometimes forget the neon blue indicator for text.

Averis Vol
2013-12-21, 11:48 PM
alternatively just make it out of special materials and use acid instead of holy water. there's nothing to raise if the corpse is melted down and you can keep your conscience clean in the knowledge that clearly holy-acid only burns the flesh and bone of the impure. warning: do not test on yourself, your deity of choice hates people who tempt fate.

I found the chaotic evil player!

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-21, 11:49 PM
I found the chaotic evil player!

well dang and here I was assured that this red and white shirt and hat, glasses, and walking stick were perfectly inconspicuous.

Werephilosopher
2013-12-22, 12:03 AM
I mean, just find some way to get a bow as a special monk weapon. Off the top of my head I can't think of any, but I bet it is doable.

dip all your arrows in garlic. then bathe in garlic. then embroider holy symbols from every religion you can find into your clothing, tattoo them to your skin, braid them into your hair. then use magic to make whatever weapons or armor you have amplify light based magic. then be sure not to trust anything that spells its name as a backwards version of what the vampire's name is. if the owner of the castle invites you in and mentions that rest is good for the blood stake them there, if the turn out to be human apologize to the corpse then burn it so the vampire can't eat from it.

Heh heh heh.

Snowbluff
2013-12-22, 12:18 AM
Guys guys guys. I found the answer.

I mean, just find some way to get a bow as a special monk weapon. Off the top of my head I can't think of any, but I bet it is doable.

The answer is to use decisive strike with a bow. I think it's doable too, but I have no idea what I am doing. :smalltongue:

Seriously, I don't know how a bow can be a monk weapon. :smallfrown:

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-22, 12:23 AM

Reasonable homebrew is the first answer that comes to mind.:smallwink:

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-22, 12:25 AM

The answer is to use decisive strike with a bow. I think it's doable too, but I have no idea what I am doing. :smalltongue:

I HAVE THE SOLUTION! find any generic martial arts movie in which a character has a bow that is used effectively. tape your DM to a chair in front of the screen and make them watch the movie an unlimited number of times while headphones are over their ears constantly stating "your monk player characters can do anything in this movie". occasionally feed an water your DM, if you're feeling really nice let them out to use the bathroom. remember a DM is a big responsibility and you have to clean up after them.

j_spencer93
2013-12-22, 03:43 AM
Opened this to read about Decisive Strike and bow working and instead found an idea for a player who keeps bugging me about the jester class. He really wants to play as one, and your acid spewing flower is right up his alley.

Alent
2013-12-22, 03:52 AM

Maybe backport Pathfinder's Zen Archer Monk?

Darrin
2013-12-22, 07:30 AM

Elvencraft longbow = quarterstaff.

ExcessiveFarce
2013-12-22, 07:42 AM
One option that is admittedly feat intensive is to take the feat from Secrets of Sarlona (Pole Master, page 118) that allows a hafted weapon to qualify as a monk weapon. Apply the Aptitude enhancement (+1 cost, page 148 Tome of Battle) to your bow, and you're golden.

Requires proficiency with one hafted reach weapon, Weapon Focus: the same weapon, plus the Pole Master feat. The Aptitude enhancement lets you apply any and all weapon-specific feats to the weapon. This allows you to flurry with a bow (or any other aptitude weapon, like a meteor hammer or whip for serious laughs) and since the Decisive Strike description indicates it's rules-transparent with flurry of blows, that does the trick.

On another note, usually Decisive Strike is used with attack of opportunity builds since it applies to all attacks before next turn. I know there's the Arrow Mind spell that can grant AoOs with a bow, but I'm unfamiliar with what kinds of shenanigans you can get into in order to take full advantage of Decisive Strike with a ranged weapon.

Piggy Knowles
2013-12-22, 07:42 AM
Your first attack has to be with a special monk weapon. All your subsequent attacks don't.

So, for example, a monk 2/factotum 8 could make a Decisive Strike attack with her fists or a shuriken or something, then use Cunning Surge and Greater Manyshot to fire off a series of double damage arrow volleys.

Snowbluff
2013-12-22, 10:16 AM
Elvencraft longbow = quarterstaff.

This was my thinking last night, but I didn't think it would work. However, the elvencraft bow stats that it counts as a quarterstaff when wielded as a melee weapon. This is always. :smalltongue:

One option that is admittedly feat intensive is to take the feat from Secrets of Sarlona (Pole Master, page 118) that allows a hafted weapon to qualify as a monk weapon. Apply the Aptitude enhancement (+1 cost, page 148 Tome of Battle) to your bow, and you're golden.

Requires proficiency with one hafted reach weapon, Weapon Focus: the same weapon, plus the Pole Master feat. The Aptitude enhancement lets you apply any and all weapon-specific feats to the weapon. This allows you to flurry with a bow (or any other aptitude weapon, like a meteor hammer or whip for serious laughs) and since the Decisive Strike description indicates it's rules-transparent with flurry of blows, that does the trick.

On another note, usually Decisive Strike is used with attack of opportunity builds since it applies to all attacks before next turn. I know there's the Arrow Mind spell that can grant AoOs with a bow, but I'm unfamiliar with what kinds of shenanigans you can get into in order to take full advantage of Decisive Strike with a ranged weapon. This would work. The idea is to use a build similar to Piggy's one (Monk2/Fact8), and to have manyshot with cunning surge. I was also thinking about find a way to incorporated Anointed Knight's Inspired Strike.

Your first attack has to be with a special monk weapon. All your subsequent attacks don't.

So, for example, a monk 2/factotum 8 could make a Decisive Strike attack with her fists or a shuriken or something, then use Cunning Surge and Greater Manyshot to fire off a series of double damage arrow volleys.
It works but I like my bows.

Zanfire
2013-12-22, 12:13 PM
Going along with the pole master feat, there are actually several like it that add specific weapons to the monk list, I also believe there's an AC that includes fighter weapons as monk weapons, there might be a feat that adds the bow, or at least one that has less prerequs to get for the aptitude enhancement. At the very least it's a good basis for a home brew feat

Grayson01
2013-12-22, 08:16 PM
Ask your DM to allow you to have a feat that allows Longbow as a Monk Special Weapon. It would require Prof. and Weapon Focus just like Whirling Steel and Serpint strike from Eberron. if he says no "
= find any generic martial arts movie in which a character has a bow that is used effectively. tape your DM to a chair in front of the screen and make them watch the movie an unlimited number of times while headphones are over their ears constantly stating "your monk player characters can do anything in this movie". occasionally feed an water your DM, if you're feeling really nice let them out to use the bathroom. remember a DM is a big responsibility and you have to clean up after them."