PDA

View Full Version : Need help designing homebrew classes

Alent
2013-12-22, 01:19 AM
Halp, Playgrounders, you're my only hope of finishing campaign customizations in time!

I'm in the process of cobbling together a bunch of 3.5 material and some homebrews to make a base class list for a campaign I hope to start in early January. As part of that, I'm redesigning some of the base classes to hit a T4/T3 balance point, and as I sit here, pounding away at my wiki with ideas and notes, I'm trying to figure out at what levels to give class features at. The last thing I really want is to make ultimate dip classes, but I don't want to make my classes Multiclass/PrC resilient, either. (We just quit playing Pathfinder to get away from that philosophy.)

My 3.X experience isn't as great as I'd like it to be, so I'm turning to the playground for advice on this and the stickies didn't seem to have anything on where to put class features other than "keep it compelling over 20 levels". That seems a little too ambiguous- Keeping it compelling is obvious, but doesn't give me any idea on how to keep my designs flexible and viable in more than straight 20 builds.

From what I've seen, which is admittedly tainted by more pathfinder than 3.5, there seem to be some "weighted points" where class features show up: Levels 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 16, 20.

From what I understand, 1~3 levels is a dip to obtain primary features, 5~6 levels is what you'd take if aiming for a PrC that advances one or more of the primary features, and then past that it would be your primary or only class?

I've also noticed even level class features on mid/full BAB classes also seem to be Feat based. (2, 6, 8, 12, etc.) Is that because Fighter and Monk set that precedence?

Should I take this into account when working on classes? (I will be bringing them here to ask for help and critique, but I'd like to build tables and assign levels to things before I do) Or should I just design however I feel like and adjust for flexibility later?

WbtE
2013-12-22, 05:04 AM
This doesn't answer your question, but aside from the Tier system you need to keep an eye on niche protection. Even if the Dwarftosser is T4, if the Thrower of Short People is T3 then it's going to routinely show up the Dwarftosser.

Alent
2013-12-22, 05:27 AM
This doesn't answer your question, but aside from the Tier system you need to keep an eye on niche protection. Even if the Dwarftosser is T4, if the Thrower of Short People is T3 then it's going to routinely show up the Dwarftosser.

You don't throw short people, you punt them! :smallamused:

Yeah, Niche protection is probably actually a bigger concern in the short term, I'm actually trying really hard to take Fighter and keep him competitive as I look at full BAB melees like Duskblade, but not knowing where to weight class features makes me worry about giving too much too soon/too little too late.

For example, I'm blending Fighter with Marshal and making him a weak initiator. I want to start the Marshal auras at level 3, so that Fighter 1 or Fighter 2 isn't An unreasonably good dip.

In that same vein, I'm also trying to use multiclassing as a way of nerfing Druid. My Druid only gets 6ths castings off a reduced list and is a 1/2 BAB class. Wildshape is gained at level 3 and instead of being based off your druid level is based off your BAB, allowing you to go full BAB (EG: Druid3/Ranger17) to get to 18 HD Animal forms or get 10 HD Animal/elemental/plant forms and get full 6ths casting.

So... understanding how to weight class features to certain level ranges will help, but I'm kind of afraid I'm just going to have to table this out and build proof of concept characters to see how far I can stretch things, and rebalance accordingly.