PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger Question

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-12-22, 01:42 AM
Ok so maybe I am doing this wrong but I am very confused.

A Gunslinger can craft ammunition for Half the price right?
Well a Metal Cartridge and Bullet cost 16 Gold Even. Half that is 8 gold apiece.

So if you got 260 rounds made.. thats 2080 gold right?

And another with the Bandoliers both Endless and Beneficial you can have 260 rounds on you at any one time, including various back up firearms and gunpower and so forth right?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bandolier-endless

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bandolier-beneficial

JHShadon
2013-12-22, 02:05 AM
The Gunsmithing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/gunsmithing) feat allows you to make guns at half-price and ammunition for guns at a tenth of the price.

As for the magic items, I don't think the effects interfere with each other, so yes.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-12-22, 02:10 AM
Ok so at a tenth it would be 1 gold and 6 silver.
So for 260 it would be 416 gold for 260 bullets... thats pretty darn cheap why do people complain?

Twilightwyrm
2013-12-22, 02:25 AM
So for 260 it would be 416 gold for 260 bullets... thats pretty darn cheap why do people complain?

Good question. I'd imagine quite a few people just skimmed the rules, and didn't take the time to actually assess the costs involved. For others, it is so much more expensive than other ammunition (1gp6sp per bullet vs. 5cp per arrow) that they are unwilling to spend that much on simply ammunition, even if it isn't prohibitively expensive. 416gp is, after all, the price of a masterwork weapon and then some. I still wouldn't consider that prohibitively expensive, especially considering that 260 shots would generally last through enough of your career that by the time you run out, an additional 416gp will be pocket change.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-12-22, 02:35 AM
Well WBL makes this easy.
I mean if you start at level 2 you get 1000 GP to start. At level 3 you get 3000. Its not enough to buy massively powerful items yet but makes that 416 pretty easy to handle for a long term investment.

Also recall Bullets hit Touch AC at first range (20 ft for pistols) and deal x4 crit damage. So it has its trades off.

I would say after level 5 416 is pocket change at best.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 10:35 AM

1.6gp per bullet is still ~32 times more expensive than arrows, which are 1 gold for 20, and that cost adds up, especially at low levels.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-12-22, 11:36 AM
Yes for an item that hits Touch AC and deals x4 on Crit. I am not saying that at level 1 its not expensive, btw I believe its even cheaper for the Alchemical cartridges which are for the flintlock pistol you start with. Also Black Powder and the Bullet are much easier to make at early levels it just takes longer to load.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 12:54 PM
Yes for an item that hits Touch AC and deals x4 on Crit. I am not saying that at level 1 its not expensive, btw I believe its even cheaper for the Alchemical cartridges which are for the flintlock pistol you start with. Also Black Powder and the Bullet are much easier to make at early levels it just takes longer to load.

Bear in mind that early firearms also have to deal with misfire, and are only hitting touch AC within like 20 feet because everybody in his right mind is using a pistol at low levels.

Fruchtkracher
2013-12-22, 01:24 PM
Bear in mind that early firearms also have to deal with misfire, and are only hitting touch AC within like 20 feet because everybody in his right mind is using a pistol at low levels.

Now why would you say that? A musket deals way more damage (quite important before you can add any stat to damage), has a higher range to hit touch AC and has easily as many attacks a round as a pistol.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 01:41 PM
Now why would you say that? A musket deals way more damage (quite important before you can add any stat to damage), has a higher range to hit touch AC and has easily as many attacks a round as a pistol.

Because you can't get two-handed early firearm reload time below a move action. It starts as a full-round action, so Rapid Reload+Alchemical Cartridge only gets it down to a move action. Well, not at low levels anyway (or without that one gunslinger archetype). With capacity 1 and a move action reload, you can't take advantage of rapid shot or iteratives, nor can you take more than a 5ft step while firing.

Unless you took the Musket Master Gunslinger ACF, of course, which lets you reload muskets like 1H firearms.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-12-22, 02:07 PM
The game is a lvl 10 and is using Advanced Firearms, Revolvers in this case.

The player is using the Gunman's Duster, Endless Bandolier, and Beneficial Bandolier to carry 260 rounds not including the 6 he gets in his gun to begin with (We rule it does)

So yeah he took the Pistolero and Mysterious Stranger Archtypes so he adds Dex and Charisma to his damage count which is pretty nice, and with revolvers he can attack with Rapid Fire up to 3 shots per round or 4 if he uses another revolver.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 02:50 PM
So yeah he took the Pistolero and Mysterious Stranger Archtypes so he adds Dex and Charisma to his damage count which is pretty nice, and with revolvers he can attack with Rapid Fire up to 3 shots per round or 4 if he uses another revolver.

Doesn't Charisma to damage only apply when he blows grit points for it?

He might have been better off with Gunslinger5/Trench Fighter 5 for dex to damage twice, weapon training, and more feats. Also a pepperbox rifle for a much bigger range increment.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-12-22, 03:04 PM
He took Targetter Fighter 1 to add Dex to Damage twice (Its a ACF) and 4 lvls or whatever.

Well Revolver has 6 shots without a reload and is a free action with the cartridge and rapid reload I believe.

Also he has them enhanced with Distance +1 so his touch attack goes to 40 ft rather then 20 and 40ft range is not bad.

Also yes but he has a fairly good wisdom and the duster gives him another point per day. Grit is retrieved each day or when you kill someone with a pistol or when you do a heroic deed which is up to the GM.

The rifle is just that its a two handed weapon and takes a move action since Musket Master I think only works on that.