PDA

View Full Version : Vampire system?

bot
2013-12-22, 04:30 AM
Hi guys,
I'm currently working on a scenario involving vampires and in that regard I'm looking for a suitable system to run it with. Normally we exclusively play 3.5 D&D, but we have a little experience with vampire the masquerade.

The world it'll be played in, will be the Middle ages and then fastforward to current days.

The main antagonist will be a mage, wizard or however you call it.

Any suggestions for a system? Preferably rules light, since this will be a one time thing.

WbtE
2013-12-22, 04:42 AM
You don't like Vampire: the Dark Ages? :smallfrown:

Gnome Alone
2013-12-22, 04:49 AM
I dunno if they have a vampire-specific scenario/adaptation/whatever, but whenever I read "rules-light system" I think of Savage Worlds, cuz it's the freewheelingest, fast-paced wheel-and-dealingest system I ever RPed to the G.

Hangwind
2013-12-22, 08:38 AM
I'd go with White Wolf's vampire game.

Mono Vertigo
2013-12-22, 02:13 PM
I'd go with White Wolf's vampire game.

They just published the latest version, too, titled "The Strix Chronicles". The rule update, I think, is pretty much a complete improvement.

Zavoniki
2013-12-22, 02:23 PM
I think any of the variations of Vampire from White Wolf are what you looking for but for completeness sake I'll toss out Nights Black Agents which has rules for playing vampires in it though its not the main point of the game.

Not sure how well it would work in the Middle Ages, you might need to fiddle with the skills.

bot
2013-12-22, 04:47 PM
thanks all for the suggestions!

I wasn't aware that Dark ages series existed, I'll take a look into those as the Mage book could give some good ideas for powers for the main antagonist.

Lorsa
2013-12-22, 06:45 PM
If you're going to mix supernaturals in WoD I would suggest nWoD over cWod. I would suggest nWoD over cWoD anyway, but nWoD do not have a specific Dark Ages book to my knowledge. It shouldn't be too hard to do however, just look at what skills aren't applicable in a historic setting and then check out cWoD Dark Ages skills list and take inspiration from that.

I've heard some people use FATE as their go-to rules-light system for anything though.

Airk
2013-12-22, 07:17 PM
As usual, I feel like this question is being asked incorrectly. The way to determine what ruleset you want is not to say "Here's the setting we want, what rules should we use?" but rather to say "Here's what is going to be important in this game, what rules should we use?"

Setting doesn't really tell you anything about what is IMPORTANT in the game. Is this vampire game about intrigue and political plots, handling foes at two removes? Is this game going to be about the internal drama of being undead? Is this game about the raw fury and power of the Vampires, and needs to showcase their supernatural strength?

What kind of story are you trying to tell?

Picking a game because it's "about Vampires" is about as useful as picking a game for your dungeon crawl because it "has fighters."

awa
2013-12-22, 08:47 PM
I agree you need to decide what kinda game you want to play. Im not particularly familiar with the new white wolf edition but in the old world combat was real clunky and took a long time to get any thing done.