PDA

View Full Version : crit stcking

Somensjev
2013-12-22, 09:21 AM
i'm currently working on a little.. experiment.. which i want to run my players through some time, which lead me to three questions :smallwink:

what's the highest crit range? how does one achieve said range?

also, using that crit range, what is the most damage one can do on a critical?

any and all answers are appreciated :smallamused:

TheMooch
2013-12-22, 10:42 AM
I think you can get 11-20 by using a 3.0 class that wasn't updated called disciple of Dispater

as for the most damage you can look up lightning mace builds using an aptitude kukri. I think you would also want to make your weapons out of katori (sp?) resin from FF to give them a x4 multiplier. Also i think there is a weapon modifier in a dragon magazine, serrated maybe, that increases your multiplier by 1.

After that just stack up the damage modifiers as normal

Invader
2013-12-22, 10:58 AM
I think you can get 11-20 by using a 3.0 class that wasn't updated called disciple of Dispater

as for the most damage you can look up lightning mace builds using an aptitude kukri. I think you would also want to make your weapons out of katori (sp?) resin from FF to give them a x4 multiplier. Also i think there is a weapon modifier in a dragon magazine, serrated maybe, that increases your multiplier by 1.

IIRC serrated is 3rd party.

Karnith
2013-12-22, 11:03 AM
IIRC serrated is 3rd party.
Or, rather, the serrated that increases your crit range is third-party. The serrated weapon quality in Dragon Magazine #358 only makes a weapon deal a bit of extra damage on a critical hit.

Greenish
2013-12-22, 11:12 AM
Or, rather, the serrated that increases your crit range is third-party. The serrated weapon quality in Dragon Magazine #358 only makes a weapon deal a bit of extra damage on a critical hit.Of course, Dragon Magazine is 3rd party, too.

MrNobody
2013-12-22, 11:18 AM
A build for highest crit rate requires 8 level in 3.0 disciple of dispater, Improved critical as a feat and a scimitar/rapier as a weapon (or any other with 18-20 as crit range, such as some elven weapon in "Races of wild").
At Disciple of dispater level 8th you get "iron power +2" that triples yor threat range with metal weapon and stacks with Improved critical that doubles it. For the rules applied to stacking multipliers you have a total of x4 to your crit range.
A scimitar has a range of 3 numbers (18-19-20), so if used by a Disciple of dispater with improved critical the range would improve to 12 numbers, with a final threat range of 9-20/x2.

EDIT: in general, i think the best you can do to improve your damage output on crit is gaining bonuses instead of dices of damage. Hoping i'm not wrong, in generale numeric bonuses always multiply and dices never, unless stated. So feats weapon specialization, power attack and so on are the best. For magical bonuses on weapons go first for an high enhancement bonus, then choose special abilities that work on crits: "burst" abilities for example. I also suggest the "collision" special ability (Magic item Compendium) that gives a untyped +5 bonus on damage and i think it's multiplied on crits.

Heliomance
2013-12-22, 11:44 AM

DoD gets you 9-20, but you can't use kaorti resin weapons with it - they have to be iron or steel.

Phaederkiel
2013-12-22, 07:15 PM
As for the damage, Tome of battle gives you a stance at low level named "blood in the water" which gives you a stacking +1 to atk and dmg whenever you crit. This in a build with DoD and Kukris can get really ugly really fast.

I can also vouch for the enchantment "prismatic burst" from MIC, which has an awful lot of effects which can trigger of a crit, while costing only 30000 flat. slowburst (5000 flat) nearly never ever triggers, but when it does, it is good.
Since both are so cheap, throw them on your weapon and be happy.

Grayson01
2013-12-22, 07:36 PM
Telling blow and Craven depending on the interpreation is also a great add on for Crit Damage.

Phaederkiel
2013-12-22, 07:48 PM
also, look up Iaijutsu master. they have a ability which can add their cha up to 9x to any strike. if you manage to crit with this strike...