PDA

View Full Version : Heavy armor enchants

Bacchus
2013-12-22, 10:27 AM
Just looking for thoughts on heavy armor enchants. Fighter/paladin for now.
Also decent 2 handed weapon enchants.

Was considering just getting the smallest shield I could that could be considered a bashing weapon and seeing if animated and smoking would be worth it.

TheMooch
2013-12-22, 10:48 AM
as a tanky build (im guessing) I would go with the following

2H:
+1
wrathful healing (+3 Enemies and allies) heal half of damage dealt
add whatever else you need for your build or more damage

Heavy Armor:
+1
soulfire (+4 BoED) immune to death effects, energy drain, negative energy
gleaming (+3 MIC) concealment (20% miss)

Sheild:
+1
animated (+2)
heavy fortification (+5) immune to crits and sneak atk

Bacchus
2013-12-22, 11:48 AM
Will have to look into wrathfully healing. It's almost 100% likely to be out of my current price range.
For the soulfire that will eventually be covered by class abilities.

Will also have to check to see if the GM would even be cool with wrathfully healing.

Thanks for the info

Optimator
2013-12-23, 04:40 AM
Here's a great resource for you. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1061821)

And this. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1064841)

Pex
2013-12-23, 03:22 PM
Is Pathfinder permitted?

Champion: +2 sacred bonus to AC against opponent you are smiting.

Defiant: +2 bonus to AC against a particular creature type (armor's version of weapon bane)

Armor can be made Spell Storing as well. You activate the spell against your opponent when you're hit.

Seerow
2013-12-23, 03:29 PM
What is your current price range and what are you currently using?

Greenish
2013-12-23, 03:54 PM
Champion: +2 sacred bonus to AC against opponent you are smiting.That doesn't really make sense with 3.5 Smite, though.

My favourites are Blueshine (MIC), Glamered (DMG), and Restful (Dungeonscape). You could get the latter with an armour crystal, but getting it as an enhancement keeps the crystal slot open without toggling.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-23, 04:12 PM
Mindarmor and Called are both relatively cheap and useful. Soulfire is pretty much a must-have imo (at later levels at least).
Get some armor/shield spikes with Smoking, Defending and Warning and you'll be pretty much set.

Bacchus
2013-12-23, 10:29 PM
What is your current price range and what are you currently using?

Currently just vanilla full plate.

By the time I have some money I should have Bone Full plate... I thought about gleaming but would that really work on non metal bone armor...and if so would it be thematic

As for defending the RAW says that you allocate the bonus before using the weapon, so if you don't intend to use the armor spikes as a weapon it shouldn't really count toward AC, and I don't want to make a grappler

Fax Celestis
2013-12-23, 10:35 PM
Big fan of Magic-Eating. If you save vs. a spell, regain HP = spell's level. No daily limitation, so feel free to have people burn off spells on you for HP. If you have a party spellthief, even better: knock out an enemy spellcaster, steal spells from the unconscious rube, then burn them off for HP.

Seerow
2013-12-23, 10:55 PM
Currently just vanilla full plate.

By the time I have some money I should have Bone Full plate... I thought about gleaming but would that really work on non metal bone armor...and if so would it be thematic

As for defending the RAW says that you allocate the bonus before using the weapon, so if you don't intend to use the armor spikes as a weapon it shouldn't really count toward AC, and I don't want to make a grappler

Okay. How much money are you looking to spend? You say you'll have bone full plate when you have money, but are you expecting 5k? 10k?

Anyway, relatively cheap properties I'm a fan of:
-Commander Armor (2000gp): Minor bonus to diplomacy, grants allies +1 bonus to will saves. Not super useful, but cheap and I love the idea of it

-Blurring (+1 bonus): 3/day gain a 20% miss chance. With your bone armor fluff it as some sort of darkness/shadow that conceals you, works great.

-Restful Armor Crystal (500gp): If your DM is a fan of night attacks, 500gp lets you sleep in your armor without penalty.

-Ghost Ward (+1 bonus): Fitting with the bone armor, and useful if you fight enemies it applies to with any frequency.

-Mindarmor (3000gp): If you have the gold to spare, +5 to will saves when you really need it can turn an encounter around. You get it 3/day.

For weapon, if you have any Charisma at all I cannot recommend Sudden Stunning (DMG2) enough. Hit the enemy, they make Reflex Save DC 10+1/2 level+cha mod or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. You can do this cha mod times per day. As a Fighter/Paladin, I expect your Charisma is at least decent. And best part, it only costs 2000gp.

Bacchus
2013-12-23, 11:13 PM
Okay. How much money are you looking to spend? You say you'll have bone full plate when you have money, but are you expecting 5k? 10k?

Anyway, relatively cheap properties I'm a fan of:
-Commander Armor (2000gp): Minor bonus to diplomacy, grants allies +1 bonus to will saves. Not super useful, but cheap and I love the idea of it

-Blurring (+1 bonus): 3/day gain a 20% miss chance. With your bone armor fluff it as some sort of darkness/shadow that conceals you, works great.

-Restful Armor Crystal (500gp): If your DM is a fan of night attacks, 500gp lets you sleep in your armor without penalty.

-Ghost Ward (+1 bonus): Fitting with the bone armor, and useful if you fight enemies it applies to with any frequency.

-Mindarmor (3000gp): If you have the gold to spare, +5 to will saves when you really need it can turn an encounter around. You get it 3/day.

For weapon, if you have any Charisma at all I cannot recommend Sudden Stunning (DMG2) enough. Hit the enemy, they make Reflex Save DC 10+1/2 level+cha mod or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. You can do this cha mod times per day. As a Fighter/Paladin, I expect your Charisma is at least decent. And best part, it only costs 2000gp.

I like the sudden stunning. My Charisma is a 14 so far but can be buffed fairly easily in the long run I hope. The GM is fairly generous with rewards so by the time I am in the market I think I can expect btwn 7,000 and maybe 10,000

Bacchus
2013-12-27, 01:11 PM
Have come up with a few ideas. For armor since I am a no dex build ghost ward seems hugely beneficial, and perhaps healing or greater healing. Possibly with a ring of displacement.

For weapons I really liked the vampiric, charging, paralyzingly and consumptive enchants.

Also for the record the DM is only allowing core books like PH, DMG, and MIC. If it isn't in there then it has to go through him for approval.

We also don't have a cleric, but right now we are just within the borders of the mourn land so they couldn't heal anyway. But that explains some of the damage with heals enchants

JungleChicken
2013-12-27, 07:42 PM
Guess that means no on the wrathful healing. I forget the book but it isn't in the MIC.

Ghost ward is a must and is cheap for just a +1 enchantment

Also would the healing enchants on a weapon heal you in the mourn land?

Bacchus
2013-12-28, 12:16 AM
Here is another question. The greater healing enchant (MIC) on,y has a price of $24000 but that doesn't equal and regular enchant cost and it never states what the enchant + is

Anyone know this

Seerow
2013-12-28, 12:17 AM
Here is another question. The greater healing enchant (MIC) on,y has a price of $24000 but that doesn't equal and regular enchant cost and it never states what the enchant + is

Anyone know this

If an item only has a gp cost, you can add it onto a magic item for that price.

So if the property says 24,000gp then you can take any magic armor and slap that on for 24,000gp. It doesn't have a + equivalent.

Bacchus
2013-12-28, 12:23 AM
If an item only has a gp cost, you can add it onto a magic item for that price.

So if the property says 24,000gp then you can take any magic armor and slap that on for 24,000gp. It doesn't have a + equivalent.

Wow I did not know that. That frees up a lot of enchant area if I get the money. Is that gone over in the MIC? I've really only spent any time with that book looking at enchants and such

Seerow
2013-12-28, 12:28 AM
Wow I did not know that. That frees up a lot of enchant area if I get the money. Is that gone over in the MIC? I've really only spent any time with that book looking at enchants and such

Those sorts of enchants made their debut in the DMG. See the various energy resist and skill boost enchantments.

The Sudden Stunning weapon out of DMG 2 that I recommended is also a flat +2000g cost, rather than a +1 enchant, making it very cost efficient to throw on any weapon.

Bacchus
2013-12-28, 12:33 AM
Very nice.

sambouchah
2013-12-28, 11:26 AM
For Armor I usually go with +1 Energy Immunity X(MIC) Full Plate. For weapons I like to do +1 Charging(MIC) Dislocator(EPH) Greatsword or Greathorn Minotaur Hammer. But I usually buy better weapons/armor as I can.

Bacchus
2013-12-28, 12:57 PM
For Armor I usually go with +1 Energy Immunity X(MIC) Full Plate. For weapons I like to do +1 Charging(MIC) Dislocator(EPH) Greatsword or Greathorn Minotaur Hammer. But I usually buy better weapons/armor as I can.

Is EPH the epic handbook?
If so I doubt it will be allowed for a long time. Unless approved we are currently limited to SRD, PHB, DMG and MIC. We may be able to use PHBII and DMGII.

The energy immunity might be nice...especially for my mount. I'm just glad that the bone armor through class abilities will give me immunity to crits, death effects, drain, physical ability damage and a few other nice things that would eat up enchantment space

Vhaidara
2013-12-28, 01:15 PM
Nope, it's Expanded Psionics Handbook