PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Conjuration Summon Monster SR

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-22, 01:14 PM
When you use Shadow Conjuration to mimic Summon Monster, how does SR get worked into it? Do I have to make a CL check every time the monster tries to effect someone/thing that has SR?

MrNobody
2013-12-22, 01:55 PM
RAW maybe, but i think it will be a huge waste of time: roll once at the first interaction and keep that roll for the rest of the spell duration.

Particle_Man
2013-12-22, 03:25 PM
I would have answered "Never". I assumed that conjured things out of shadows are just "there" unless actively disbelieved. On the other hand I would rule that they get "erased temporarily" if they are imitating a (for example) fiendish outsider in a magic circle vs. evil zone, since the thing they are imitating would get erased in such a zone.

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-22, 03:29 PM
I would have answered "Never". I assumed that conjured things out of shadows are just "there" unless actively disbelieved. On the other hand I would rule that they get "erased temporarily" if they are imitating a (for example) fiendish outsider in a magic circle vs. evil zone, since the thing they are imitating would get erased in such a zone.

I had thought that this might be the case, but on the other hand, Shadow Conjuration does say that it allows for SR even if the original spell doesn't.

Particle_Man
2013-12-22, 09:43 PM
I think the SR is if you duplicate a direct damage spell or something like that. So, sadly, a duplicated acid orb spell might have SR.

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-22, 09:51 PM
I think the SR is if you duplicate a direct damage spell or something like that. So, sadly, a duplicated acid orb spell might have SR.

Yes, all of the Orb spells have SR if mimicked with shadow conjuration, that's pretty much beyond question. Most of my thinking about this comes from the Shadowcraft Mage handbook. It does say that the monster only has x% of the normal monster's hitpoints and only does x% damage with each attack if the target succeeds on its will save. It makes no mention of the effects of SR though.

Jack_Simth
2013-12-22, 10:36 PM
When you use Shadow Conjuration to mimic Summon Monster, how does SR get worked into it? Do I have to make a CL check every time the monster tries to effect someone/thing that has SR?
Not clearly spelled out in RAW. I'd be inclined to treat it much like the SR effects of, say, Spiritual Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm). Maybe fluff it up a bit - something like....

The beast swings at the drow footsoldier, hits... and the beast's claw shatters, cracks spreading up it's form as it quickly breaks into wisps of shadow-stuff which fade from reality.

... but that's just personal opinion.

Chronos
2013-12-22, 11:05 PM
I'd certainly check only once, on the first interaction. The only question then is whether a success completely dissipates the monster, or if it just means that that one opponent is unaffected by it.

Dalebert
2013-12-22, 11:48 PM
The only question then is whether a success completely dissipates the monster, or if it just means that that one opponent is unaffected by it.

That's really a question? Since when does SR dispel magic?

It seems like you would make one check for the spell on first contact and if successful, none of the creatures from that spell would be able to affect the creature with SR.

Chronos
2013-12-23, 12:04 AM
That's really a question? Since when does SR dispel magic?
Jack_Simth just posted a precedent.

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-23, 09:28 AM
Jack_Simth just posted a precedent.

That would work better as a precedent if it were a ruling rather than spelled out in the spell description. The fact that it is spelled out like that make it an exception rather than the rule. Specific trumps general and all that.

Dalebert
2013-12-23, 11:48 AM
Ah, I did not recall that exception in the desc of SW. But where I've heard SR described, it just means the creature with SR is not affected; not that it dispels anything, generally. I'm honestly surprised about spiritual weapon behaving that way. It's a force effect and I was under the impression that those were not subject to SR. Not sure where I have that impression from but I guess it's not the case.

MrNobody
2013-12-23, 01:00 PM

I think this is wrong. The spell description explicitly says:

"In addition, any effect created by shadow conjuration allows spell resistance, even if the spell it is simulating does not."
T
he SR for this spell so doesn't depend on the orginal spell.