PDA

View Full Version : How to Top The Initiative Order (Almost) Every Time

nlitherl
2013-12-22, 01:36 PM
Going first, even though it doesn't get as much attention, is a pretty big deal. For those players who want to catch the bad guys flat-footed as often as they can, Improved Initiative has you covered. This week we provide a list of methods for, well, improving your initiative.

Check it Out! (http://taking10.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-top-initiative-order-almost.html)

(Edit) This is a post for Pathfinder, not for any other iteration of D20 game.

Donox
2013-12-22, 04:06 PM
I was really confused while reading that because I didn't recognize many of the resources in it. I was like "Gateway to the East... The Inner Sea World Guide... what are these sources...are they really obscure setting books?". Then I got down to classes where I realized that you were talking about pathfinder.

So yeah, it looks good and pretty exhaustive but I would definitely mention pathfinder somewhere (on your post here and on your blog).

rollforeigninit
2013-12-22, 04:33 PM
Battle Oracle can get to roll initiative 3 times & take the best result as well, if memory serves.

Drachasor
2013-12-22, 04:43 PM
No mention of Divination Wizards?

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 04:48 PM
Yeah, you should remember to put [PF] in the post title to indicate that you're talking about Pathfinder rather than 3.5. Also, you missed some stuff (Fleet-Footed Elf alternate racial feature, and Diviner Wizard)

If you really want to rock out your initiative (and take full advantage of it), here's what I'd suggest. I'd make fleet-footed Elf Diviner Wizard with Improved Initiative as a feat. Fleet-Footed is an alternate racial feature which gets you +2 racial on Initiative checks, Elves get a +2 to Dexterity, Diviner wizard adds +1/2 level (minimum 1) to initiative and lets you always act in the surprise round, Improved Init gives a +4. If we assume 14 dex before racials, at level 1, you're getting:

3 (Dex) + 2 (Racial) +1 (Diviner wizard) + 4 (Improved Initiative) + 4 (Familiar) = +14 before traits (+16 after), and you get to always act in the surprise round. Not to mention that a wizard can potentially end encounters in a single action, so going first is crucial.

No mention of Divination Wizards?

The only reason I didn't post before you was because my browser crashed and it took a few minutes get it up again (damn you Windows!).

Helluin
2013-12-22, 07:00 PM
3 (Dex) + 2 (Racial) +1 (Diviner wizard) + 4 (Improved Initiative) = +10 before traits (+12 after), and you get to always act in the surprise round. Not to mention that a wizard can potentially end encounters in a single action, so going first is crucial.

Also there are familiars that give you another +4 to initiative checks. So you can probably make that +16.

gartius
2013-12-22, 07:09 PM
tactics inquisition give you and your allies you wisdom mod to initiative (so inquisitors end up with wisx2)

my characters initive mod 5(dex)+ 7 (wis) +7 (wis) +4 improved initiative + 2 reactionary =25

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 07:16 PM
Also there are familiars that give you another +4 to initiative checks. So you can probably make that +16.

I knew I was forgetting something.

ZeroSpace9000
2013-12-22, 08:06 PM
And yet, the biggest booster of all isn't mentioned, namely Display of Dexterity, a Mythic ability off the generic list that grants +20 on a single dex-based skill or ability check. Initiative is a dex-check.

For when you MUST go first.

grarrrg
2013-12-22, 10:09 PM
I always love how these spam blog posts are so poorly researched/thought-out.

And the mention of Alchemist is kind of a joke at that, because chances are you are NOT Mutated at the start of the fight, so you won't get the bonus on the first round. Chances are also decent that you're going with a STR-based build, so you'd have to spend a Discovery to even get a DEX bonus.

In a small attempt to salvage this thread, here's a list of stuff from the Ole Dipp'n guide (number after class is the Level, an 'A' means archetype):
Cleric 1A, +1/2 level and always act in Surprise round (Divine Strategist)
Druid 3A, +2 (or more) in Favored Terrain (World Walker)
Fighter 2A, +1, +1 every 4 levels after (Tactician)
Gunslinger 3, +2
Inquisitor 2, +Wis
Monk 1A, +1/2 level and always act in Surprise round (Sohei)
Oracle 1S, Roll twice, take best, can always act in the Surprise round at 7th, Roll thrice take best at level 11 (Battle or Time)
Oracle 1S, +4 (Juju or Nature)
Paladin 2A, +Cha, spend Smite Evil or Lay-on-Hands to act in Surprise round (Sword of Valor)
Ranger 1A, 3, +2 (or more) in Favored Terrain (Warden gets Favored Terrain at level 1)
Summoner 1A, +? Only if using Synthesist to get a higher Dex score
Wizard 1S, +1/2 level and always act in Surprise round (Divination specialization)

Duelist 2, +2, +4 at 8th level
Shieldmarshal 2, +1/2 level and always act in Surprise round

Also, 4 levels of Bandit Rogue will give you Full Actions during a Surprise Round.

nlitherl
2013-12-23, 04:10 PM
Wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. All edit suggestions have been reviewed, and the article has been altered to reflect them. I appreciate your help in making this piece more comprehensive, and such readers as I have would likely say the same.

Renegade Paladin
2013-12-23, 05:49 PM
Meanwhile, irony! (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qhdw?Maybe-its-time-for-an-initiative-cap) :smallamused:

schoklat
2013-12-23, 06:02 PM
Lookout also let's you do u full during surprise, if you aren't surprised.
As teamwork feat you either need it for the party, or you go Solo Tactics (best paired with familiar/companion).

grarrrg
2013-12-24, 01:28 AM
Wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. All edit suggestions have been reviewed, and the article has been altered to reflect them. I appreciate your help in making this piece more comprehensive, and such readers as I have would likely say the same.

I give you points for not being a typical "look at my blog thing!" and then running away until the next blog-thing-post.

N. Jolly
2013-12-24, 01:40 AM
I always love how these spam blog posts are so poorly researched/thought-out.

I have to admit I'm also suspect of blog post, as I could count the amount of ones I've found that were genuinely enlightening on no hands.

And the mention of Alchemist is kind of a joke at that, because chances are you are NOT Mutated at the start of the fight, so you won't get the bonus on the first round. Chances are also decent that you're going with a STR-based build, so you'd have to spend a Discovery to even get a DEX bonus.

Although I will argue this, as you have a 10 min/level duration, and a dex based Alchemist is pretty feasible, especially with an Agile AOMF. By about level 5, I generally down my mutagen whenever I'm getting close to a place that looks like it'll involve battle since I've got almost an hour on it, and rarely will the GM modify the encounters just to screw of your your mutagen.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-24, 11:12 AM
I give you points for not being a typical "look at my blog thing!" and then running away until the next blog-thing-post.

It is smart of him to take stuff from us. At least people who use his blog (as opposed to a real guide, handbook, or thread) will be somewhat better informed now.

Elricaltovilla
2013-12-24, 11:18 AM
Kensai magus gets the same ability as a sohei monk but one level earlier and can add their INT to most everything, including initiative checks. They also get the draw weapon during surprise round thing and can act during a surprise round much earlier.

nlitherl
2013-12-24, 02:13 PM
Not entirely sure how the hell I missed the Kensai. Glad you brought it to my attention... but now I have an overwhelming desire to play one.

Good and bad in everything.