PDA

View Full Version : [pf] summoning BFC

SamsDisciple
2013-12-22, 03:26 PM
In my party my friend is playing a wonderful beat stick and since my summons aren't doing even a fraction of the damage that she is I was wondering what would be the best summons (from each level) to get all the baddies lined up in front of my friend like a barbarians breakfast buffet?

Edit: this means which monsters/natures ally are the best grapplers, bull rushers, trippers, etc.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 04:07 PM
What's your build, and what's hers?

What weapons and strategies is she using?

What are you summoning? Which spells are you using for summoning?

What does the rest of your party look like?

SamsDisciple
2013-12-22, 04:12 PM
I am looking for a generic list for the fact that pretty much any class that can summon are summoning the same monsters (depending on whether is SM or SNA) my friend has a two hander barbarian (don't know anything beyond that really) and I am experimenting with the preservationist alchemist (mainly due to campaign oddities) I figured that since it seems she won't get pounce my summons would be better spent lining things up for her so she can just wail away

schoklat
2013-12-23, 05:23 AM
Thus She Spoke: The Words of Power Sorcerer (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5kvBvq2DEHjY2pwRUNXcG5Ybjg/edit)

The guide is largely based on summons (Servitor Z = Summon Monster Z).
In particular it contains a good amount of general advise, and at the end there is a list of all special tricks summons at different levels get.

Souhiro
2013-12-23, 05:28 AM
Also, remember a few things:

- PF and D&D isn't about competition: A Bard, or a Controller Wizard doesn't do damage, but they can turn the tides of a battle without doing any damage.

- Your strong point aren't your Summoned Monsters, but your Eidolon.

- Which level are you? Maybe we can help you a little bit...

SamsDisciple
2013-12-23, 06:43 AM
I understand that this is all about teamwork, that is why I am humbly bowing out of the way of the damage department (especially since we have two pretty good damage dealers in the party but 0 battlefield controllers) I guess I should be a little more thorough with describing my ideas. The list I am looking for can work with pretty much any class that can summon, I am looking to know which pathfinder summoned monster/natures ally has the best combat maneuvers aka at summon monster Z this monster has this bonus to grapple with a special attack. This is because just having summoned monsters is a great BFC but if they can start pushing/pulling enemies towards the ferocious beat stick of my friend then my friend doesn't have to worry about "can I do a full attack or do I have to move to reach my enemies?"

As for party specifics it is pathfinder hard books only, a two handed barbarian, a ranged ranger, a crossbow rogue conman, a lump of @$#% (cough cough I mean the wizard who limited himself to divination spells only), and myself the party alchemist who is trying to optimize enough to fill several party roles but not steal the spotlight at the same time (which also means that I am spreading myself pretty thin after being the only source of healing, battlefield control, buff/debuff, ...) we are currently level 2 but we are going to be getting a significant level boost here in the near future. I am not necessarily looking for build advice but summoned monster advice.

schoklat
2013-12-23, 06:47 AM
Summoning as Alchemist is slow and tedious due your 2/3 progression. But if you want to go that way, see the guide I link upthread.

But with the diverse Bomb options (Frost, Force, Blinding, Smoke->Stinking->...) and Fast Bombs you have absolutely great BFC built right in. CF guides #1 (http://pathfinder.ogrehut.com/2010/07/alchemist-build-guide/) #2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15652548#post15652548)

PS: Tell the Wizzi to get off his lazy ass... Explain him that his Divinations are only good if he takes the hints to then prepare some actually useful spells. :smallbiggrin: