PDA

View Full Version : Can Fire Giants and Frost Giants interbreed?

Lancaster_Road
2013-12-22, 05:32 PM
Could a fire giant and a frost giant have viable offspring?

If so, what would the child be? They appear to both be giants, both from the same mythos, but that's no guarantee. Halflings and orcs can't interbreed for instance, in most works.

So, any thoughts?

molten_dragon
2013-12-22, 05:35 PM
Could a fire giant and a frost giant have viable offspring?

If so, what would the child be? They appear to both be giants, both from the same mythos, but that's no guarantee. Halflings and orcs can't interbreed for instance, in most works.

So, any thoughts?

There's no RAW on it if that's what you're asking.

I'd say probably no.

Seerow
2013-12-22, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately such a mix results in the rare and little known puddle giant.

Unfortunately this does not qualify as viable offspring by any stretch of the imagination. I'll leave to your own imagination the reasoning for this.

gurgleflep
2013-12-22, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure, but something tells me that would make for a steamy encounter. :smalltongue:

Pokonic
2013-12-22, 05:44 PM
Plot twist: have the offspring be a human.:smalltongue:

Lancaster_Road
2013-12-22, 05:46 PM

Unfortunately this does not qualify as viable offspring by any stretch of the imagination. I'll leave to your own imagination the reasoning for this.

Would a frost giant work as a big guy for an eldritch abomination?

Grayson01
2013-12-22, 06:03 PM
If a Dwarf and a Winterwolf, a Dwarf and a Troll, and any number of other crazy cross breeds from the Bastards and Bloodline books can mate I don't see why not.

gurgleflep
2013-12-22, 06:34 PM
If a Dwarf and a Winterwolf, a Dwarf and a Troll, and any number of other crazy cross breeds from the Bastards and Bloodline books can mate I don't see why not.

Dwarf and Winterwolf is from Bastards and Bloodlines, right? I liked them :smallsmile:

Also, I came back to mention the Advanced Bestiary made by Green Ronin Publishing. If you can find it/get your hands on it look for the amalgam template, it allows you to combine two creatures of any type into one fearsome creature, for some examples: badger/orc, colossal red dragon/tarrasque, balor/iron golem, kobold/stone giant, drow/orc, and yes even a fire giant/frost giant :smallwink:

j_spencer93
2013-12-22, 06:37 PM
See no reason they could not, most likely wouldn't. Would make for a good story of a being uniting both giant races and trying to create a new giant empire.

The Insanity
2013-12-22, 06:39 PM
They can, like anything else, it's a magical fantasy world after all. But there's no official rules for that. You have to either find a 3rd party book that has them or homebrew.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-22, 06:41 PM
A species vulnerable to cold mating with one vulnerable to heat...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/MsPurrl/Fictional%20Characters/Scorpius.jpg
They may need a suit like this.

A Tad Insane
2013-12-22, 07:25 PM
The god of frost giants mated with a hill giant, and said god found a storm giant attractive, so inter-giant breeding does seem possible, if rare. You could capture some specimens and see what happens.

Bullet06320
2013-12-22, 08:30 PM
they probly could have offspring, however unlikey, but would the offspring be fertile? probly not.
take the example of a liger, crossbreed between a male lion and a female tiger. the offspring is infertile. same as with mules, the result of a donkey and horse, also infertile.
similar critters, but just far enuf apart to disallow a viable new species

but then again, elfs and humans=halfelves which can breed.
and halforcs can too
so its really a judgement call, maybe a 50/50 die roll. it is a fantasy game so anything goes as u want to flavor your world

cakellene
2013-12-22, 11:17 PM
A species vulnerable to cold mating with one vulnerable to heat...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/MsPurrl/Fictional%20Characters/Scorpius.jpg
They may need a suit like this.

What is that pic from?

Gale
2013-12-22, 11:20 PM
@cakellene: Apparently, this. (http://farscape.wikia.com/wiki/Scorpius)

j_spencer93
2013-12-22, 11:21 PM
um a liger can breed, very rarely but it happens. I can not remember where i originally heard of this (pretty sure it was discovery) but i do known wikipedia has the information as well as good links.

cakellene
2013-12-22, 11:22 PM
Thought it looked familiar, thanks for link.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-22, 11:26 PM
What is that pic from?

Scorpius from Farscape he's half-scarran (heat loving reptilian humanoids) and half-sebacean(suspiciously human aliens who are vulnerable to high temperatures).

Oh can't forget this part of the suit.
http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content07/brain-radiator-scropius.jpg
Cooling rods for his brain.

So a half-fire/frost giant end up like that.

Joe the Rat
2013-12-22, 11:28 PM
Farscape. Good show.

But to the main question, that's a third party or homebrew question. And for third party, the problem whether or not they specify beyond Giant.

Not that I'd know...

There is that one Outsider, the Rilmani, which fluff suggests has a Celestial/Fiendish mix. So opposites aren't unheard of.

Regardless, it would be an interesting NPC/enemy.

Bullet06320
2013-12-22, 11:57 PM
um a liger can breed, very rarely but it happens. I can not remember where i originally heard of this (pretty sure it was discovery) but i do known wikipedia has the information as well as good links.

i double checked my facts, male ligers are infertile, but female ligers are fertile which means they could only mate with a lion or a tiger, but not another liger, thanks for pointing that out.

zlefin
2013-12-23, 01:45 AM
My inclination would be to rule that they can't breed directly. But you could get some traits of each by breeding through with an intermediate species of giant.

Lateral
2013-12-23, 01:50 AM
Plot twist: have the offspring be a human.:smalltongue:
That makes all of the sense. Congratulations, sir.

Magdela
2013-12-23, 01:58 AM

More of a giant puddle than a puddle giant.:smallwink:

The circumstance of the two of them...falling in love and mating needs a poem or short story. Now.

Scow2
2013-12-23, 02:21 AM
Hill Giants.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-23, 02:26 AM
More of a giant puddle than a puddle giant.:smallwink:

The circumstance of the two of them...falling in love and mating needs a poem or short story. Now.

there once was a giant from nantucket?

anyway in a world with magic it's inevitable that someone somewhere will try to make interbreeding between 2 creatures that by all rights should cancel each other out possible. why? because there's not a set rule saying "these creatures can't mate" so people will ignore that there's also nothing saying "these creatures can mate". real world logic on having kids flies out the window when you consider the mixes between human and animal or human and what amounts to animate collection of an element.

Magdela
2013-12-23, 02:41 AM
there once was a fire giant from nantucket?

Who was looking for someplace to tuck it
When he found a frost giant
she became quite pliant
they named their child Bucket

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-23, 02:44 AM
Who was looking for someplace to tuck it
When he found a frost giant
she became quite pliant
they named their child Bucket

...not sure whether to clap or facepalm.

Magdela
2013-12-23, 02:49 AM
Maybe we should have the two interbreed so I can write another limerick?
And then mate that with bucket...
Yes, this limerick farm is shaping up quite nicely.

Balyano
2013-12-23, 03:10 AM
Based on the bloodlines in unearthed arcana giants can create fertile offspring with non-giants, and not just humans. Could be that the giant takes after one parent, say you get a frost giant with the fire giant bloodline, or vice versa, though that sounds a bit boring mechanically. Could homebrew up a Steam Giant, or rule that steam is just water vapor so that instead you get a cloud giant, which has the advantage of being stronger than either parent and dont cloud giants have a split on half their population being one alignment and the other half a different one? Though I think thats good vs evil not law vs chaos. And would someone please breed a stone giant with a dryad so we can get a green giant.

Angelalex242
2013-12-23, 03:24 AM
...That's a fascinating idea. Fire and Frost giants crossbreeding make Cloud Giants. Maybe that used to happen quite frequently, and that's how the race of Cloud Giants came into existence in the first place.

Waker
2013-12-23, 03:35 AM
Just think of facepalming as clapping using one hand and your cheek.

Honestly I'm a little surprised though. When I first checked this thread I expected that it would be full of dissertations on the oddities of genetics in D&D, but only a brief mention of ligers and mules.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-23, 03:40 AM
Just think of facepalming as clapping using one hand and your cheek.

Honestly I'm a little surprised though. When I first checked this thread I expected that it would be full of dissertations on the oddities of genetics in D&D, but only a brief mention of ligers and mules.

this is the internet good sir, not meeting expectations is like a requirement here.

also that just means I'm making the sound of one hand clapping while also being self destructive. I'm fairly sure multitasking that much with only one limb is considered bad.

Drachasor
2013-12-23, 07:02 AM
Hmm. Frostfire Giants. Interesting idea.