PDA

View Full Version : Race, Phoenix Elves.

Tiernos
2013-12-22, 06:13 PM
Hey all I've been tossing this idea for a race around for a while, wanted to know what people thought about it.

Phoenix elves generally live on a forested mountain (taiga), preferably one with a source of water nearby. They tend to seclude themselves even more so than normal elves, they are not hostile to other races however. While the various elements of Phoenix elves segregate to an extent, all phoenix elves share a general love and respect for all of their brethren, even those of the opposing element and live in a mostly integrated society.

Phoenix elves are taller than normal elves 6'-6'6" for males 5'8 - 6'2 for females tanned, usually tattooed, their arms are winged, with fully functioning hands, they exhibit plumage on their arms and parts of their legs.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2268/harpy.jpg

Less harpy like and more elf like, elven ears, also phoenix elves have hair on their heads, typically in colors similar to their plumage. Orange / Gold / Red (fire), Purple / Sapphire / aqua (water), White / Silver / Light blue (air), Brown / Dark Green / Light Green (earth).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (elf)
Abilities: -2Con, +2 (int fire) (wis water) (dex air) (str earth)
Speed: 20 ft.
Glide: 15 ft, 30 ft at 5th level + 15 ft every 5 levels.
Fly: 5th lvl 15 ft Poor up to 1 hr/day, 10th lvl 30 ft fair 4hr/day, 15th lvl 30 good, 20th lvl 45 good
Low-light vision same as elf
Phoenix elves only need to trance for 4 hours a day, they still require an additional 4 hours of rest to be able to prepare spells.
Phoenix elves lose all other elven qualities, no racial weapons, no detect hidden doors, and no sleep immunity.

Elemental Aura: A phoenix-elf can imbue its feathers with their native element as a free action. As long as its feathers are imbued, it inflicts an additional 1d3/4lvls points of elemental damage with each natural attack, if you do not already have a natural attack you gain claws that deal damage appropriate to your current size, 1d4 (small) 1d6 (medium) 1d8 (large), you gain no additional attacks that didn't already apply. Any creature within reach must make a DC (10+character lvl + con) Reflex save each round to avoid taking 1d6/4lvls points of elemental damage at the start of its turn. A creature that attacks the phoenix-elf with natural or non-reach melee weapons takes 1d3/4lvls points of elemental damage (no save) with each successful hit.
Fire (fire) Water (cold) Air (lightning) Earth (acid)
This ability can be used while Wild shaping or in the form of another creature, this will cause your wings to manifest, though you gain no better flying than you currently possess.
Usable 1/day gain at every 10th level, ie 2/day at 10, 3/day at 20th, duration is 1rd/2lvls round down, 1rd at 1st lvl, 2 rounds at 3rd, 2 rounds at 4th.

Rebirth: Once per year when a phoenix elf dies, it is resurrected as per the true resurrection spell on the appropriate elemental plane 1 day later in the care of a phoenix native to that plane, the phoenix elf is afflicted with the geas/quest spell CL25 and must complete the request of the phoenix to gain passage back to the material plane. If the elf dies again in the same year or die in the care of their phoenix guardian, they are dead and must be revived via normal means.

Healing tears: 3x/day the phoenix elf can cast cure minor wounds caster level = to character level (cure light @10th cure moderate @20th?), at 5th lvl the tears can also remove poison per the spell, at 10th level disease per the spell. (Not usable on self?)

Special Qualities: 1 energy resistance to chosen element, 5 at 5th lvl, 10 at 10th lvl, 15 at 15th, 20 at 20th (immunity at 25th?).

Alignment: Tends toward Chaotic and/or Good.
Advancement: By character class
Favored class: Wizard
Deity: Most phoenix elves revere Ondory though religion is not paramount in their culture, and other deities are worshiped.
Level Adjustment: +0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how OP this is I'm thinking on par with Dragonborn of Bahamut. It's my first attempt at home brewing a race. Constructive criticism is very much welcome. Very much trying to keep this a 0 LA.

*Editted to make the formatting a little easier to read. *Made more formatting changes. *Modified elemental aura to also grant a base natural weapon while active.

Tiernos
2013-12-23, 10:47 PM
Come on guys I know SOMEONE has something to say lol :-P, I'm cool with this is a pile of garbage, just want some feed back if it's too strong, I sat down with a player to design this race for him, I just want to see if anyone sees any blaring OPness that I'm going to have to deal with as a LA 0 race. Or if this class as written deserves a LA.

AuraTwilight
2013-12-24, 12:14 AM
I can barely read this race, it's put together pretty terribly format-wise.

There is no way in hell this is LA 0. They get way too many perks and abilities. It's bonkers.

Aldurin
2013-12-24, 01:09 AM
This needs some better formatting, look up race entries in the SRD so you have a reference for what easily conveys the information, especially with keeping mechanical and fluff part distinct from each other.

TuggyNE
2013-12-24, 03:24 AM
There is no way in hell this is LA 0. They get way too many perks and abilities. It's bonkers.

That was my initial impression as well, although I'm not totally sure it's accurate; still, it seems like Elves + Raptorans + extra for the most part.

I really don't know how to cut it down to LA +0, honestly, without losing the point.

paddyfool
2013-12-24, 05:00 AM
I don't think it's that overwhelmingly OP, since most of the stuff it gives (aside from flight) isn't too potent.

A couple options to balance this out to a more rounded LA +0:

- Slow the ground speed to 20ft. Being adapted to flight can have issues for getting around on the ground.

- Put some of the bonus abilities (e.g. Elemental Aura, which is the best of what you're giving them after flight, and Energy Resistance) into a 1 level racial class / paragon class. This could also allow some of the more standard elven stuff to remain (e.g. skill bonuses).

Tiernos
2013-12-24, 03:50 PM
Good ideas, thanks.

Tiernos
2013-12-24, 03:51 PM
This needs some better formatting, look up race entries in the SRD so you have a reference for what easily conveys the information, especially with keeping mechanical and fluff part distinct from each other.

Is this a little better?

AuraTwilight
2013-12-24, 05:24 PM
Better formatting, yes.

This still gets too much for a +0 LA creature though. Being able to fly at first level, having True Resurrection once a year, their elemental aura, a scaling Spell-Like Ability to heal, plus energy resistance on top of that is frankly completely nuts.

Literally any single one of these abilities is an LA +0 race on its own merits, maybe. This is probably a +3 LA to me, minimum.

paddyfool
2013-12-24, 06:21 PM
Better formatting, yes.

This still gets too much for a +0 LA creature though. Being able to fly at first level, having True Resurrection once a year, their elemental aura, a scaling Spell-Like Ability to heal, plus energy resistance on top of that is frankly completely nuts.

Literally any single one of these abilities is an LA +0 race on its own merits, maybe. This is probably a +3 LA to me, minimum.

I disagree strongly. +3 LA on this would be entirely unplayable; in fact, I think it falls somewhere between high +0 and low +1.

Also, note that this race doesn't get the ability to fly until a pretty limited version at 5th level, merely the ability to glide.

I'd be tempted to take out Elemental Aura and put it into a racial substitution level for Druid and/or Monk instead, personally, but I don't think it's anything like as overpowered as you say.

AuraTwilight
2013-12-24, 07:01 PM
Also, note that this race doesn't get the ability to fly until a pretty limited version at 5th level, merely the ability to glide.

THAT part I missed.

paddyfool
2013-12-25, 03:50 AM
I thought you might have done.

Overall, although the abilities are nifty, none are really what I'd call OP, since I can't see any of them breaking an encounter.

I mean, look at what you get at level 1... Cure Minor wounds would mean just healing 3 points per day, 1 at a time. You can't do much more than stabilise people with that, or top them up a very little out of combat. Energy resistance 1 is going to be very limited in effect even where it applies. And although Rebirth is very nice to have, it has almost zero relevance inside any individual encounter (aside from encouraging a risk-taking mentality, which I'm OK with). And being able to glide is also pretty niche in its use. Handy if you're ambushing the enemy and have ranged attacks, or for overcoming some terrain obstacles, but little more than that. And although all of these scale, they don't scale as fast as class abilities or WBL, so they're never going to overpower the game.

The only really potent ability at level 1 seems to be the Elemental Aura (better natural attack damage + retributive damage + damage just for being next to you? That scales? Yes please). What I'm not sure about is what "1/day 1 rd/2lvls" means... obviously this means you can only activate it once per day, but does the second part mean you can only activate it once per round at first level, or that it lasts 1 round? If the latter, then it's really not OP either, and this really is no more than a +0 race should be. (And feats / racial sub levels for some appropriate class, e.g. druid, should really exist to make it better).

Tiernos
2013-12-25, 11:10 PM
I thought you might have done.

Overall, although the abilities are nifty, none are really what I'd call OP, since I can't see any of them breaking an encounter.

I mean, look at what you get at level 1... Cure Minor wounds would mean just healing 3 points per day, 1 at a time. You can't do much more than stabilise people with that, or top them up a very little out of combat. Energy resistance 1 is going to be very limited in effect even where it applies. And although Rebirth is very nice to have, it has almost zero relevance inside any individual encounter (aside from encouraging a risk-taking mentality, which I'm OK with). And being able to glide is also pretty niche in its use. Handy if you're ambushing the enemy and have ranged attacks, or for overcoming some terrain obstacles, but little more than that. And although all of these scale, they don't scale as fast as class abilities or WBL, so they're never going to overpower the game.

The only really potent ability at level 1 seems to be the Elemental Aura (better natural attack damage + retributive damage + damage just for being next to you? That scales? Yes please). What I'm not sure about is what "1/day 1 rd/2lvls" means... obviously this means you can only activate it once per day, but does the second part mean you can only activate it once per round at first level, or that it lasts 1 round? If the latter, then it's really not OP either, and this really is no more than a +0 race should be. (And feats / racial sub levels for some appropriate class, e.g. druid, should really exist to make it better).

Thanks, yeah that's what I was aiming for nothing that's blaringly OP, but something that maintains the feel of what you would get from a phoenix crossed with an elf, this aura is basically a dumbed down version of what the pathfinder phoenix has. Agreed on the rebirth and if they want to take risk early level and get themselves killed then when they die to a CR 15 boss encounter later in the campaign they've already used their 1 "free" life, assuming multiple years don't pass in the campaign. Plus I like the fact that it gives me one free guaranteed plot hook for this guys character.

As for duration, at lvl 1 you can use it 1 x per day and it works for 1 round, 2 rounds at 3rd, 3 at 5th etc. up to a max of 10 rounds at lvl 20. At 10th level you can use it 2x / day, and 3x / day at 20th.

paddyfool
2013-12-27, 05:04 AM
As for duration, at lvl 1 you can use it 1 x per day and it works for 1 round, 2 rounds at 3rd, 3 at 5th etc. up to a max of 10 rounds at lvl 20. At 10th level you can use it 2x / day, and 3x / day at 20th.

That seemed most likely. In that case, I'd clarify a little, by saying "uses: 1x/day; duration 1 rd / 2 levels (round up)".

Overall, I'd say this race goes from being a strong +0 at first level to an effective +1 around 10th level, because of the way the abilities scale. Not sure how to cost it.

Incidentally, this race would make particularly excellent druids. Wis bonus (if water) + elemental damage to natural attacks + healing and resistance from another source, meaning you won't have to spend spell slots on them.

If a player tried to argue they could use the flight ability to play a flying bear, though, I'd have to throw the book at them.

Lappy9001
2013-12-27, 09:53 PM
It's certainly an interesting take; I've never seen phoenixes associated with any element other than fire/life.

One of the problems with a concept that is potentially too OP is that it might get nerfed to the point of being none too fun to play. Let's look at first level:

+2 Int is nice, even with a Con penalty.
Slow ground Speed for a Medium race.
Glide, can be handy at times.
Wings that deal +1d3 Fire damage 1/day
Low Light Vision
Rebirth, although depending on the DM this might not be viable (and you character will likely miss a session or two)
Cure Minor Wounds 3/day
Energy Resist 1

There's not a whole lot there, and once you use up your daily's, there's nothing except low light and glide. It doesn't scale well, sure you get stuff later, but nothing until level 5

Interestingly, the wings aren't listed as natural weapons and you may want to fix that.

You listed the other elven qualities like a template. To remove stuff like "count as elves" I assume?

I gotta say, the idea is there but the formatting is pretty bad at present. Some bold, underline, and better spacing could do wonderful things.

You know, how about making this a racial paragon class or racial subsitution level? It could be a cool idea to make a class to advance a base race like elves. You know, start out as an elf, but take 2-3 levels and turn into a phoenix elf. That way, you wouldn't have to limit yourself with the racial traits.

Tiernos
2013-12-28, 06:06 PM
That seemed most likely. In that case, I'd clarify a little, by saying "uses: 1x/day; duration 1 rd / 2 levels (round up)".

Overall, I'd say this race goes from being a strong +0 at first level to an effective +1 around 10th level, because of the way the abilities scale. Not sure how to cost it.

Incidentally, this race would make particularly excellent druids. Wis bonus (if water) + elemental damage to natural attacks + healing and resistance from another source, meaning you won't have to spend spell slots on them.

If a player tried to argue they could use the flight ability to play a flying bear, though, I'd have to throw the book at them.

Yeah per the ability, elemental aura gives you "fluff" wings, but if you are a bear you have giant glowing phoenix wings sticking out of your back, that you might could argue give you a +2 to the intimidate check you're about to make. Unless you are wild shaped into a flying bear, your elemental aura does not allow you to fly.

Tiernos
2013-12-28, 06:23 PM
It's certainly an interesting take; I've never seen phoenixes associated with any element other than fire/life.

One of the problems with a concept that is potentially too OP is that it might get nerfed to the point of being none too fun to play. Let's look at first level:

+2 Int is nice, even with a Con penalty.
Slow ground Speed for a Medium race.
Glide, can be handy at times.
Wings that deal +1d3 Fire damage 1/day
Low Light Vision
Rebirth, although depending on the DM this might not be viable (and you character will likely miss a session or two)
Cure Minor Wounds 3/day
Energy Resist 1

There's not a whole lot there, and once you use up your daily's, there's nothing except low light and glide. It doesn't scale well, sure you get stuff later, but nothing until level 5

Interestingly, the wings aren't listed as natural weapons and you may want to fix that.

You listed the other elven qualities like a template. To remove stuff like "count as elves" I assume?

I gotta say, the idea is there but the formatting is pretty bad at present. Some bold, underline, and better spacing could do wonderful things.

You know, how about making this a racial paragon class or racial subsitution level? It could be a cool idea to make a class to advance a base race like elves. You know, start out as an elf, but take 2-3 levels and turn into a phoenix elf. That way, you wouldn't have to limit yourself with the racial traits.

Well alternate elemental phoenix are not too unheard of, there just isn't really a lot about it in D&D, the concept of cryo(ice)phoenix and lighting phoenix have existed for a long while, I even thought about allowing you to mix two primary elements (magma, earth/fire) (steam, water/fire) (lightning, air/fire) (sand earth/air) (blizzard water/air) (life/death earth/water) in the race in exchange for dumbing down the abilities a little further where your resistance would be split between energy types, and your elemental aura would deal half the dmg as each element. I thought that would get a little too complex to start off with especially the implications of a positive energy or negative energy aura from a life/death phoenix. Though eventually that would be my goal as it would open up more ideal configurations for specific classes and more specifically because these creatures exist in the world that I have imagined, I'm just trying to put them on paper because a guy in my campaign liked the idea so much he wants to play one, figured I'd get some base thoughts for what I had and experiment from there. I really do like the idea of maybe making this some kind of substitution or paragon levels, just haven't sat down to really crunch any of the numbers or brainstorm on how to effectively do it.