PDA

View Full Version : The Black Hand [D&D 3.5, PrC; PEACH]

Ziegander
2013-12-22, 06:23 PM
So a friend's younger brother who's just begun to get into D&D 3.5 asked me if this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Reaper_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29) would be a good homebrew PrC to take levels in during a campaign he's a part of. I told him, "no way, that thing is way more powerful than it has any right to be, and not super well-written, let me clean it up for you and make you a more balanced version." So, he agreed that he'd like me to do so. Please, please EVALUATE and CRITIQUE HONESTLY. I design base classes. I don't know if this guy is really all that balanced, despite my efforts, lol.

The Black Hand

http://www.porjati.ru/uploads/posts/2012-10/thumbs/1351009942_3.jpg

The Black Hand are initiates into the Deathly Order, a group of agents and killers, ruled by the Grim Council, who have dedicated their lives to the mysterious dark side of nature, maintaining the hold and influence of Death in all realms while most cling desperately to Life. In this way, the Black Hand can be considered to be the Black Hand of Death. The Black Hand are prized assassins gifted with supernatural, necromantic power over Undead and over the frailties of their own bodies. The Deathly Order regards intelligent Undead with suspicion and the mindless, shambling hordes of lesser Undead with ambivalence, but they will not suffer the Risen to live - those that have cheated Death with spells such as Raise Dead or Resurrection.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
Alignment: Any non-Good
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Feats: Diehard, Endurance, Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Skills: Knowledge (History) 1 rank, Knowledge (Nature) 1 rank, Knowledge (Religion) 5 ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 5 ranks
Spells: Able to cast 2nd level Necromancy spells.
Special: Must never have cast a spell that would bring the dead back to life such as Raise Dead or Resurrection.
Special: Must never have received the benefit of a spell that would bring the dead back to life such as Raise Dead or Resurrection.

Class Skills (4 + Int): Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (any; taken separately), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Swim, and Tumble.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Spellcasting

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Favored Enemy (The Risen), Rebuke Undead, Track|
+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Fear Aura, Ghost Step|

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Bloody Hand|

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Death Step|

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Wraithform|
[/table]

Spellcasting: At each class level, the Black Hand gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class he belonged to before he gained his first level as a Black Hand. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of Black Hand to the level of whatever other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If the Black Hand had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Black Hand, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Black Hand to for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Favored Enemy (The Risen) (Ex): A Black Hand gains a +2 bonus to all Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against the Risen (see above). He also gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

If the Black Hand already has the Favored Enemy class feature, this instance of Favored Enemy stacks with it, increasing the bonus of any one of his Favored Enemies. In addition, his bonus against the Risen automatically increases to equal his highest Favored Enemy bonus +2. For example, if the Black Hand had Favored Enemy (Human) +4 and Favored Enemy (Undead) +2 before becoming a Black Hand, then this version of Favored Enemy stacks with those. He decides to increase his bonus vs Humans to +6, and then his bonus vs the Risen increases automatically to +8.

Rebuke Undead (Su): A Black Hand is able to channel negative energy to Rebuke Undead like an evil Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm#turnorRebukeUndead). He may do so a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Cha modifier. If he already had the ability to Rebuke Undead, instead he gains an additional use per day.

Track: A Black Hand receives the Track feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. He may use the Gather Information skill with this feat to track creatures in Urban areas. If he already had this feat he may take any other feat he meets the prerequisites for.

Fear Aura (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Black Hand projects an aura of unease to all living creatures within 5ft per class level. A creature within the aura must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + ½ character level + Cha mod) to avoid becoming shaken for 1d8 hours (this effect does not stack with other fear effects). Creatures that are immune to fear or that have more HD than the Black Hand may be affected by this aura, but receive a +4 bonus to their saving throw. A creature may only be affected by a Black Hand's aura once every 24 hours.

Ghost Step (Su): As a swift action, a Black Hand of 2nd level and higher may turn invisible for 1 round. In order to use this ability, the Black Hand must have a spell slot of 2nd level or higher remaining for the day from which he can cast an Illusion or Necromancy spell.

Bloody Hand (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a Black Hand may channel any spell or ability that requires a touch attack through a melee weapon attack as a standard action or through a full attack action. The spell or ability in question must be one that can be cast or used with a standard action or less. Using this ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If the Black Hand uses this ability as part of a full attack the spell or ability affects each target you hit in melee combat that round.

Death Step (Su): Starting at 4th level, when the Black Hand uses his Ghost Step ability he may become incorporeal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#incorporeality), like an actual ghost. To do so, he must expend a spell slot of 2nd level or higher. When he does, all of his equipment is considered to have the Ghost Touch property, allowing him to benefit from any of it and use any of it against corporeal foes.

If the Black Hand strikes a flat-footed, corporeal creature while he is incorporeal (in this way, or because of any other spell or ability) that creature suffers 1 negative level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) .

Wraithform (Ex): A 5th level Black Hand transforms partially into a hybrid of his original form and a Dread Wraith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm). He gains all of the following:

Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, charm effects and death effects.
The Black Hand no longer has a need to eat, sleep, or even breathe.
The Black Hand is healed by both positive and negative energy.
Lifesense (Su): He notices and locates living creatures within 60 feet, just as if he possessed the blindsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#blindsightAndBlindsense) ability. He also senses the strength of their life force automatically, as if he had cast Deathwatch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathwatch.htm).
Ghost Strike (Su): While incorporeal, the Black Hand gains an incorporeal touch attack. This attack deals 1d6 negative energy damage plus 1d4 Constitution drain (Fort negates, DC 10 + ½ character level + Cha mod). A creature dealt damage in this way is marked for 24 hours. The Black Hand automatically knows the direction of a creature marked in this way and notes the strength of its life force as if via the Deathwatch spell regardless of distance.
Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid slain by him becomes a Wraith 1d4 rounds after its death. Its body remains intact and inanimate, but its spirit is torn free from its corpse and transformed. Spawn are under the command of the Black Hand and remain enslaved until his death. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life.

Legendxp
2013-12-23, 08:03 PM
Ghost Step (Su): As a swift action, a Black Hand of 2nd level and higher may turn invisible for 1 round. In order to use this ability, the Black Hand must have a spell slot of 2nd level or higher remaining for the day from which he can cast an Illusion or Necromancy spell.

I do not know if this was your intent or not, but the way you currently have it worded, Ghost Step can be used at will, indefinitely. It only requires you to have a 2nd level spell slot, it doesn't expend one.

Bloody Hand seems a bit powerful, granting the duskblade's 13th level class ability at 3rd level (Although I don't know off-hand what ECL that is). I would also recommend getting rid of one or two levels of spellcasting.

I also recommend giving this class some way to resist dying when at negative hitpoints. After all, if he does come back after dying, the rest of his order will forever be trying to kill him (Not to mention if he still qualifies for this class or not). Maybe make a save or something to resist death? Having only one life is pretty tough. T_T

As for the Reaper,

The Wandering Mind and Soul Reaver class features definitely seem too powerful. However this was what astonished me the most.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: For every reaper level, the character gains new spells and spells per day as if he had also gained a level in his spellcaster level class. He also gains any other benefits a character of that class would have gained. At 2nd level, a reaper chooses a class with which he can cast 2nd level Necromancy spells. If he is an arcane spellcaster, from now on, he can cast arcane spells while wearing any armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance for that class.

That is INCREDIBLY powerful. Not just class features, ALL BENEFITS. Would this include BAB and Save bonuses as well? Even without that, just gaining sneak attack from, let's say assassin, every 2 levels is pretty dang good when considering what the class is getting.

Also, I have a question. I found this image (http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/2b/37/conceptart,dnd,gw2-2b37529679b5cc45cfa600c1bcc6a595_h.jpg) on the internet and am currently using it for a custom class. Do you mind if I keep using it? I didn't want to offend you since I noticed you were using the same image in the Magic of Incarnum Redux. If you want a look at the class, it is right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16651253).