PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help with a constitution-based character

Zweisteine
2013-12-22, 08:26 PM
I'm starting an adventure in which I will be the entire party, starting at ECL 5.

The party consists of a Pixie Warlock, a Whisper Gnome Illusionist, two other characters. I am undecided about one, but it will likely be either a Beguiler or similarly sneaky class.

As a party's only melee character, I'll be playing a Mineral Warrior Arctic Desert Lesser Ooze Paragenasi. I might also stick on Magic-blooded. I was also planning on taking the troll-blooded feat (and using a wand of lesser restoration to eliminate the fatigue).

The final ability score modifiers are +2 Strength, +10 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 (-4) Wisdom, -6 (-4) Charisma. The numbers in parentheses are if I take Magic-blooded.
Outside of Incarnum, I don't know any classes that rely heavily on constitution, which is the obvious choice for this character. The problem with incarnum is that the classes it offers are of limited use in melee (Totemist is ok, but I was looking for something a bit more... unique).

So my man questions are:
What classes outside of the Incarnum classes make good use of constitution?
Should I stick Magic-blooded on this character?

Also, does the Shedu Crown soulmeld qualify you for Mindsight?

EDIT: I'm starting at class level 4, ignoring the Mineral Warrior LA as bought off.

Flickerdart
2013-12-22, 08:30 PM
Dragonfire Adepts make more use than Incarnum classes of their Constitution. Consider also the Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden for different CON to AC abilities, the Improved Bind Vestige feat which would let you gain 1/2 CON to natural AC, Steadfast Determination (bonus on Will saves) and a whole bunch of Tome of Battle maneuvers that use Concentration checks to do stuff.

Zweisteine
2013-12-22, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the advice
Steadfast determination is somethign this guy'll have for sure.

I do have a questions, though:
How exactly do Dragonfire Adepts use Constitution more than Incarnum-users? (It also doesn't look like a particularly effective melee class.)

Also, Deepwarden is only for dwarves...

Thurbane
2013-12-22, 09:09 PM
If you can get your DM to approve 3rd party material, the Lost Tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10203238&postcount=2) feat switches casting to ANY stat, including Constitution.

If you want to melee, you could be a Con based Duskblade, or something similar.

Flickerdart
2013-12-22, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the advice
Steadfast determination is somethign this guy'll have for sure.

I do have a questions, though:
How exactly do Dragonfire Adepts use Constitution more than Incarnum-users? (It also doesn't look like a particularly effective melee class.)
Their breath's DC is based on Constitution. While Incarnum DCs are IIRC also CON based, there aren't many save-offering melds anyone cares about.

Also, Deepwarden is only for dwarves...
Not if you take Stoneblessed levels.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-22, 09:53 PM
Their breath's DC is based on Constitution. While Incarnum DCs are IIRC also CON based, there aren't many save-offering melds anyone cares about.

Not if you take Stoneblessed levels.

Totemism saves are Con based. Incarnate and soulborn are wis based.

Zweisteine
2013-12-22, 10:16 PM
Lost Tradition is too good. Hehehehehe... If I ever have a game with free LA, I know what I'm doing... But Duskblade isn't quite what I was looking for. Not quite tanky enough for my purposes.

SowZ
2013-12-22, 10:20 PM
If you happen to be Lawful Good, you can take VoP and then go Forsaker, too.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-22, 10:27 PM
Mineral Warrior Arctic Desert Lesser Ooze Paragenasi.

The hell does that even look like?

Piggy Knowles
2013-12-22, 10:35 PM
It's not completely Con-SAD, but a warblade with a heavy focus on Diamond Mind concentration maneuvers is pretty up there.

Maybe warblade 14/fist of the forest 1/stoneblessed 3/deepwarden 2? That gives you Con to AC twice, and IL 17 for 9th-level maneuvers. Greater Insightful Strike is about as close to getting Con to power your damage as you'll get.

Chronos
2013-12-22, 11:08 PM
Worth mentioning, Stoneblessed also gives you yet more Con.

Zweisteine
2013-12-24, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the tips!

I think I'll start as a Warblade, using Diamond Mind and Stone Dragon, because I am, after all, a Stony (mineral warrior) race.

Last question: is Magic-blooded worth the hit to wisdom? I won't need it for the save, but perception skills are nice to not lose...

I don't know how I'm gonna meet the prerequisites for the PrCs with limited Int... Well, I suppose Warblade means no dumping it, but it could be tough...

Psyren
2013-12-24, 09:53 AM

No idea, but it reminded me of this: http://shawntionary.com/chainmailbikini/?p=39

Sian
2013-12-24, 10:21 AM
X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Nice reference sheet :)

Fax Celestis
2013-12-24, 10:29 AM
Thanks for all the tips!

I think I'll start as a Warblade, using Diamond Mind and Stone Dragon, because I am, after all, a Stony (mineral warrior) race.

Last question: is Magic-blooded worth the hit to wisdom? I won't need it for the save, but perception skills are nice to not lose...

I don't know how I'm gonna meet the prerequisites for the PrCs with limited Int... Well, I suppose Warblade means no dumping it, but it could be tough...
I would say it's worth it. The penalty's a -1 on Wis-based skills and checks. Whoop de doo.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-24, 11:43 AM
I second Fist of the Forest, its 3 lvls and who doesnt love Con to AC?

Snowbluff
2013-12-24, 11:46 AM

A comet, I think.

Zweisteine
2013-12-24, 02:08 PM
Imagine a generic human. Now imagine it as a mineral Warrior. Now magine it being covered in goo. There you go.

Perhaps I should use Ice Paragenasi instead, as it doesn't seem I'll need dexterity so much. Maeluth might be even better because they're planetouched dwarves.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-24, 02:27 PM
Imagine a generic human. Now imagine it as a mineral Warrior. Now magine it being covered in goo. There you go.

I would be amazed if someone agreed to shake your character's hand, seeing that kind of nastiness.