PDA

View Full Version : Playing a druid

ReD_Exorcist
2013-12-22, 08:27 PM
So right now I am going to be starting a new campaign. I am playing as a Gnome Druid. I am doing more the support/healer person for the party. We have a ranger, Andellion Warrior and the last person is undecided, Sorry I didn't state my question before. I was wondering what feats to get and what abilities I should be focusing on?

Grams
2013-12-22, 08:30 PM
What's the question?

eggynack
2013-12-22, 08:32 PM
What kinda stuff are you seeking from druidry, and what's your book access/level?

Edit: Research has revealed that you're likely level three, and with core access. Things are pretty simple in core, and at level three. I don't know your exact point buy, but that stuff is pretty obvious. Dexterity and strength are next to pointless, because before wild shape you should never be on the front lines, and after wild shape your dexterity and strength are replaced. Wisdom and constitution are the two most important stats, for obvious reasons. Intelligence and charisma are your tertiary stats, and you should put points there if there's room. Your animal companion should be a riding dog, using leather or studded leather barding, because that's as good as it gets.

Then, we come to spells. You mentioned being interested in healing, but there really aren't many healing spells worth preparing. Cure minor wounds is great, because while you don't normally want to incur an action cost with your cantrips, stabilizing a dying ally is a special occasion. Goodberry is also decent as a town preparation, giving you something to do with your downtime. After that there really isn't anything until you hit level seven and get SNA IV for unicorns. It's something to look forward to.

As for other spells, for zeroth's you're going to want some quantity of detect magics and create waters, in addition to the cure minor wounds. For firsts, you want at least one entangle, and maybe two or three. It's just that good. Produce flame and obscuring mists are also nice, and longstrider and faerie fire get a bit better later, because those slots won't be expected to contribute in an active way later.

Second level spells have a few decent options, but no crazy standouts. Summon swarm is reasonably powerful, fog cloud is a decent upgrade to obscuring mist, and soften earth and stone is pretty powerful if you have wet earth to work with. For wet earth, either cast a create water, or use the survival skill to predict the weather, and prepare on that basis. Gust of wind has decent utility, though not an excess of it, and barkskin could be nice, though I really hate that duration. That stuff should serve you reasonably well, though if you can get access to the spell compendium, that'd really make your list of seconds pop.