PDA

View Full Version : Another Co-operative Setting

Amaril
2013-12-22, 10:55 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've done one of these, but I have a cool idea for something (albeit not a very original one), and I'd love to see if it goes anywhere. I know most people are doing these projects by a voting method now, but I personally think the old way of everyone suggesting ideas and the next person building off everything before is more fun, so I'm gonna stick with that. Hopefully this takes off :smallsmile:

1: All of reality originally comes from the two fundamental building blocks of existence: Law and Chaos. Law, associated with the color black and embodied by the realm of Limbo, is the state of nothingness and stasis that compels things to remain as they are. Chaos, traditionally symbolized by white, flows from the realm of Pandemonium, a place of unbounded potential and possibility in which everything that can possibly happen is constantly played out at once, the source of all change in existence. These two great forces exist at opposite ends of reality, and the place in the center where they meet forms the physical universe that holds the realm of mortals.

GrandDM
2013-12-23, 11:50 AM
2: Law and Chaos can be drawn on by mages to fuel their spells. The two types of mage are deadly enemies and fight each other at every turn.

The magic of Law is all about constraints and rules. It follows strict formulae and requires great mental discipline. Masters of Law Magic can bind great spirits to their service, dam raging rivers and halt avalanches with nothing more than the force of their mind.

Chaos is diametrically opposed to this, and is based on change and freedom. Chaos Magi are often insane or twisted, because a Chaos Mage's mind must, by necessity, be as fractured and multifarious as possible to grasp the ever-changing power they use. The greatest Chaos Magi have passed through insanity and come out the other side into the strange wastes of true inhumanity, their minds warped and altered by the power they wield. However, their minds are not the only things that alter - as a Chaos Mage grows in power, he mutates and changes uniquely.

dancingfiend
2013-12-23, 02:46 PM
3: beings of chaos have a hard time hiding who and what they are, as their maddness shapes them they often lose the ability to hide who and what they are, however this means beings of chaos slowly lose the ability to lie. Beings of order however can often cloak themselves such to seem as a normal mix, masters of constructed lies meant for creating a world as they see fit.

Jakodee
2013-12-25, 06:25 PM
There exist beings of law and beings of chaos. The beings of law can be shining orbs or black voids. The beings of order can be powerful spirits or burning daemons.

D20ragon
2013-12-28, 10:02 PM
5. These beings cannot affect each other, save for on the mortal realm, where they both have influence.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-12-28, 10:52 PM
6. Because of its effects, the majority of "used" Chaos Magic comes from Alchemists and Artificers. Neither of which actually "touch" Chaos.

Alchemists do this by forcing raw Chaos to flow through a Law Empowered symbol, to create and transform objects in a controlled and repeatable manner. Effect

Artificers, on the other hand, wrought Chaos into already crafted items, to empower them with strange and new special powers.

Plerumque
2013-12-28, 11:09 PM
7. This is because wielding Chaos through the structures of Order is the only way to avoid being warped by it. On the other hand, magic of pure Order must be used within a framework of Chaos, often channeled through turbulent forces such as rivers or storms, in order to avoid the entrapment of the mage by the ever-increasing strictures and clauses of Order.

avr
2013-12-28, 11:39 PM
8. Ghosts are the spirits of magi trapped in this fashion to repeat their actions forever. Usually the spirits of untrained magi who cast spells on instinct. Other undead are created when people die surrounded by a great deal of chaotic magic - including, sometimes, natural chaos like storms.