PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Building a 'god' character.

Triskavanski
2013-12-22, 11:57 PM
In another game I've been playing, we've got a party that is in shambles.

Rogue 1: Constantly disguises herself as different races. There are three races that have about the same attributes, and she tends to disguise herself between two of them, using different names each time. Yes. she does this verse the party itself.

Rogue 2: This one is playing a race that isn't the same basic makeup as the four DM crafted races.. Basically think something like Scooby-do trying to pretend to be human. That this character.

The DM doesn't understand why they shouldn't roll their disguise checks themselves and why he should. So, especially the second one, constantly re-try until they get a level that is unreachable by the rest of the party. And its only getting stupider with the second using their disguise skill to make rocks look like pillows.

Inquisitor: Again, another character that doesn't work with the party, and just does whatever she wants, being partial to the god of chaos. She tends to try and bluff and hide and the like, as she secretly plots killing anyone who is lawful.

Fighter: This guy, he totally works with the party, and gets the Inquisitor to even join in rather easily. His player hates the stupid stuff the second rogue is pulling off right now.

Oracle: This guy tries to work with the party, but tends to work long hours and gets home exhausted. Sometimes can't show up because his job makes him sick. (Like actually sick with the flu.)

Monk: this is my character. And in our one big fight against a slime horde, he's lost the will to go on, and is kinda tired of the rogues and inquisitor doing whatever the hell they want. I'm pulling him out as my spark to play him has died from spending about a year sitting in the same town, in one battle...

So I talked to my GM. I'm going to make a character that will whip the players into shape and get the party actually going.

My problem I have.. I'm allowed to use the play test material, but can't decide if I'm going to go Arcansist or Wizard.
My characters rolled stats are 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 18. Yes, I rolled that right in front of the GM.
My race is already selected, it has +2 Wis +2 Int -2 str.
Cast Magehand, and prestidigitation at will. Gains a 3rd level or lower spell as a spell like ability castable once per day and then additional time at 5, 10, 15, and 20. (All the DM's races have this usually or something else to compensate)

I plan on getting the cloak of wings and just leaving it activated.
I'm getting Outcasts intuition and seeker for traits to avoid falling for the stupidness of half the party constantly changing their appearance for whatever reason. (RP reasons I guess?)

So basically what I'm asking after all this.
Should I go Arcanist or Wizard?

Spore
2013-12-23, 05:45 AM
If you are able to go arcanist, it is the more powerful choice atm. But just because you are now a caster doesn't mean the rogues will listen to you.

Twilightwyrm
2013-12-23, 05:51 AM
Let me affirm the notion you are going to get from the other members of this forum, that this will not end well. Especially for you. If this is indeed a problem for the group, then you and your DM need to sit down and have a chat about this with the players, and come to some sort of understanding under which you can all enjoy yourselves. If that means starting a new campaign, so be it.
With this being said, let me also establish that, especially in PF, you are not going to be able to accomplish what you are after. The wizard ability to "be god", as it were, relies on careful use of the right powers during the limited times when the party faces opposition, and the ability to become uncatchable at all others. What you are attempting requires someone with multiple, constant protections from virtually everything the other characters can throw at them, virtually constant surveillance of said characters, and the ability to exert enough potential power over said characters to keep them in line. I'm sure it is theoretically possible, but from a purely mechanical standpoint I don't recommend it. What you want is Oracle or Cleric, or generally some class with which you can obtain a number of strong, 24-hour protections. Which you will need to cast at the start of every day, or more if the characters try and pull things. Divine Metamagic doesn't exist anymore, so easy access to such things is less easily obtained, but with effective use of divination, teleportation magic, and the more powerful divine buff spells, you can at least be intimidating. Of course, if all the other characters coordinate to get rid of you, they will find a way to. You, therefore, get stuck in the uncomfortable position of trying to convince a group that will hate you to get along and act as a group, when them getting along and acting as a group is simultaneously the biggest threat to your continued existence. You, in essence, aren't playing a warden, you are playing a bully, and I doubt the other players will learn to get along and work together before deciding to try and punish you for attempting to do so. Hell, one or more of them might well come here, or to a similar site, asking in turn how to get rid of you. So honestly, your best bet for getting this thing back on track is, as previously mentioned, talking to the other members. presumably you are all friends (or at least acquaintances on good terms), so a mutual understanding is far from impossible.

Clarification: I am not strictly saying you are personally bullying, being a bully, or any iteration thereof. I am saying, the character you proposing is geared towards coercing certain behavior out of certain characters by essentially threatening them when they don't do what said character wants them to do. This would generally fall under broad realm a "bully", though "thug" or "goon" might also work in this context.

schoklat
2013-12-23, 06:37 AM
I second what was said above.

What could lessen your party problem running a character that has high Wis + ranks in Sense Motive & Perception + some other boosts to them. Being sturdy also helps. Seeing you already have an Inquisitor, a straight up Cleric would be a good idea. Empyreal Sorceror (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/empyreal) might also work nicely, possibly using the Tattood Variant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/tattooed-sorcerer) for a Familiar for some extra pair of eyes and free Alertness. (IDK if Arcanists have a similar option.)
Don't try forcing characters in line, but make sure they know you see through their tricks and don't care for them at best / are offended by them at worst.

Of course the best advise as usual... Talk to your fellow players and tell them you don't appreciate them behaving like idiots and cheating. (NB: Try nicer words at first... If that doesn't work feel free to be straight and blunt about that issue.)

Triskavanski
2013-12-23, 09:32 AM
thats why I'm making the caster, and making sure to take seeker/outcasts intuitive. I don't have intentions to bully them, only to show them more of how foolish they are being, as my character isn't forced to believe that a rock painted white is a pillow.

Once I have a character that can see through their deceptions, and one that wasn't "go with the flow." but an actual leadership character, I can progress from there.

If nothing else, he can join the Oracle and Fighter, who don't keep trying to deceive the party.

Triskavanski
2013-12-23, 12:01 PM
Also, I guess we have a different definition of 'god' character.

I don't mean someone who is neigh untouchable. But rather someone who gets to the point of creating a demiplane of his own, and does everything they can with permanency.

So.. thinking about it, maybe the sorcerer isn't a good fit. I'm going arcanist.. Protean bloodline gives +4 on the DC to dispell my mane stuff (transmutation/Conjuration (creation) ) giving me a +5 over all.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-23, 01:39 PM
Have you tried talking to your GM and other players about just asking people to cut out all the PvP shenanigans?