PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade and their spell list

Regissoma
2013-12-23, 04:23 AM
Hey everyone, I am fairly new here and I am looking for some help with an idea I currently have. I am currently planning on making a Duskblade build for a campaign I am playing at the moment, and I was looking for ways to expand the spell list. We have access to nearly all sources and we do plan on going into epic.

What I have in mind so far:
Warblade 1/ Duskblade 13/ Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Chameleon 10
and two levels to mess with

Any help would be appreciated.

Vaz
2013-12-23, 06:34 AM
If you're going Epic, replace Rainbow Servant with Chameleon, Sanctum Spell, and Extra Spell Slot, this allows you to get 9th level spells. Pick up Catalogues of Enlightenment to gain access to any/all Cleric domains, in addition to the cleric spell list. Use the floating feat from Chameleon to pick up Crafting for Runestaves, and makes Runestaves out of the choice spells from the Cleric list/Donmain lists.

Pump up your UMD check (should be easy), and get yourself scrolls of all your favourite spells, then put them onto Runestaves.

These Runestaves now increae your spells known, and can be cast as normal. As it's a Staff, I believe it counts as a Masterwork Quarterstaff, so can be enchanted with a WSA; make it Sizing, Morphing and either Aptitude or Skillful enchantment. Sorted.

How the Chameleon Trick works is that Extra Spell gets you an additional spell known, up to a maximum level of 1 lower than your maximum. Apply it to Chameleon Casting; with Sanctum Spell, this makes your spells count as one higher level than it normally is; i.e - a 6th level spell is a 7th level spell; Extra Spell references this higher level, and grants you an additional 6th level spell. However, the Catalogues of Enlightenment from the Planar Touchstone lets you pick up a Domain to cast as if you were a Cleric; this gives you 9th level spells; Sanctum Spelled upto 10th, Extra Spell Slot gives you 9ths.

Apply to your Runestave and Win; note that this is technically available from Chameleon 2 IIRC, but is very cheesy.

Talionis
2013-12-23, 09:52 AM
One level of Sandshaper from Sandstorm will add a large number of spells to your spell list. They are desert themed, but very useful.

I will second Chameleon, even without epic levels and cheese it still gets you access to every spell out there up to level six. Many high level spells get on weird prestige class lists at lower levels so you can get more power level for each spell cast. Example is Trapsmith getting Haste at level 1. I'm not looking down on cheese either I just know it's not available or appropriate in every game. I would also advocate for a Chameleon having access to higher level spells in an Epic level game even though no Epic level progression exists to my knowledge. But Chameleon won't had spells to your spellist.

Sublime Chord might also be an idea since it grants access to higher level spells, it too won't add them to your list, but Duskblade can channel any spell you cast so that may not be a huge deal.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-12-23, 10:06 AM
If you want to use a campaign setting-specific race, Changeling Recaster (Races of Eberron and online preview here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=3)) is a Changeling-only class that adds a couple of extra spells to your list but more importantly gives you a lot of metamagic options that are very useful for Duskblades.

You'll take a hit to your HP/BAB/Caster Level, but CL is less vital for DBlades than primary casters, there's always ways to increase your attack bonus, and if you're a high-level duskblade who's losing non-temporary HP something has gone terribly wrong.

Chronos
2013-12-23, 11:40 AM
Quoth Vaz:

However, the Catalogues of Enlightenment from the Planar Touchstone lets you pick up a Domain to cast as if you were a Cleric;
No it doesn't. Catalogues of Enlightenment only gives you the domain granted power.

Vaz
2013-12-23, 12:20 PM
Higher use orders ;).

Regissoma
2013-12-23, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, the chameleon class was just what I was looking for. Any more suggestions would be great.